Well, how good was that then!
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
RE: Well, how good was that then!
We went race week and the following week for a change, so we could get about the Island.  I thought the number of bikes seemed to be up this year as they were everywhere in abundance, which was great. Just my feeling though.
Great racing throughout the week, but as others have said, is the warm up lap really necessary, we have managed a hundred years without it, without problems.  The sidecar parade lap was just a farce and not a patch on parade laps of the past.
Another gripe was the official TT Merchandise that was being offered. Tee shirts at £26 that one bloke said he would not even clean his bike with. Very poor quality, overpriced and very little choice.  People like to take home souvenirs such as tee shirts, but they hate being ripped off. One shop in Ramsey selling them had price tags of £20 clearly changed in biro to £26. Needless to say, I did not buy one. 
Had a piece of luck on the Friday.  As I was in the car and parking had been nearly impossible at most places, I went to the field at Sulby Bridge and as luck would have it, a cooporate event was being dismantled, but the stand was still there and they said we could use it for free. Hardly anybody in it and a great view right by the 300 yard marker board.  Parked right by the stand as well, so went back Saturday for the Senior. Had a great day and met a lovely gent from Gallway and his son.
25-06-2023, 08:13 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
This year was my 47th visit! You could say, I love the TT! Two weeks of fantastic weather, fantastic people, and Fantastic racing, sadly the downside was the sad loss of Raul Torras Martinez, Whom I pass My Deepest Sympathies to his Family and all his racing friends. RIP Raul. Over the years we have seen many changes, some for the better, some not, however, this past Two years, one thing has really weakened my love for the TT, and that is the TT Commentaries and Presentations!. Gone are the days when we would be kept informed of happenings, Non-starters etc, yes they do the NS, but if you don't hear them the first time, Pot Luck! Gone are the days of the easy listening tones of the late Peter Kneale, Geoff Cannell etc, Roy Moore, Dave Christain etc These guys did their homework, their research, and they could talk about practically EVERY Competitor on track!, Could today's Commentators do likewise? ( with the exception of Chris Kinley, and gotta say, Chris no 2 is doing a good job)
Today's commentaries are all about lap records, sector times etc!!!, nothing about the history of the TT, afterall, the TT has been built on history!
I look forward to returning to both S100 & Manx GP, where hopefully normal service will be resumed. Does anyone else feel like me?, or is it just my age? lol Will I be back at the TT next year? Yes,if Iam spared and well, I hope to be there, best Show on Earth!
oh yes, forgot, TT Merch!!! Holy Moly, what a price!!
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2023, 06:19 PM by Baylon McCaughey.)
29-06-2023, 06:18 PM
Website Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
(29-06-2023, 06:18 PM)Baylon McCaughey Wrote: This year was my 47th visit! You could say, I love the TT! Two weeks of fantastic weather, fantastic people, and Fantastic racing, sadly the downside was the sad loss of Raul Torras Martinez, Whom I pass My Deepest Sympathies to his Family and all his racing friends. RIP Raul. Over the years we have seen many changes, some for the better, some not, however, this past Two years, one thing has really weakened my love for the TT, and that is the TT Commentaries and Presentations!. Gone are the days when we would be kept informed of happenings, Non-starters etc, yes they do the NS, but if you don't hear them the first time, Pot Luck! Gone are the days of the easy listening tones of the late Peter Kneale, Geoff Cannell etc, Roy Moore, Dave Christain etc These guys did their homework, their research, and they could talk about practically EVERY Competitor on track!, Could today's Commentators do likewise? ( with the exception of Chris Kinley, and gotta say, Chris no 2 is doing a good job)
Today's commentaries are all about lap records, sector times etc!!!, nothing about the history of the TT, afterall, the TT has been built on history!
I look forward to returning to both S100 & Manx GP, where hopefully normal service will be resumed. Does anyone else feel like me?, or is it just my age? lol  Will I be back at the TT next year? Yes,if Iam spared and well, I hope to be there, best Show on Earth!
oh yes, forgot, TT Merch!!! Holy Moly, what a price!!

I agree with all of the above. I too miss the well informed commentators of old and especially the ramsey hairpin commentary box, it added real flavour to listening whilst sat in the hedgerows.

I too will carry on going to the TT (a addict) but if you asked me now to choose only one of either the manx or the TT... The manx would win hands down.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
29-06-2023, 07:33 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
I totally agree with the comments about the commentators, I think the best descriptions I can make of them are shallow and ill informed. Admittedly the grid comprises less starters than in previous years, however I think someone should also inform the commentary team that there are actually more than the first ten starters in the races. Like many on this forum I've been going to the TT for many years but of late my loyalty has transferred to the MGP, ok the racing isn't so intense but it's much easier to get around and there are a lot less idiots out on the course when the roads are open. I also fear that although the races themselves are 'free' the actual costs of attending both TT Course events for non-Island residents is becoming ridiculous. Be careful DED, IOMSPCC etc etc you're all in real danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
29-06-2023, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
(29-06-2023, 08:18 PM)bsa499 Wrote: I totally agree with the comments about the commentators, I think the best descriptions I can make of them are shallow and ill informed. Admittedly the grid comprises less starters than in previous years, however I think someone should also inform the commentary team that there are actually more than the first ten starters in the races. Like many on this forum I've been going to the TT for many years but of late my loyalty has transferred to the MGP, ok the racing isn't so intense but it's much easier to get around and there are a lot less idiots out on the course when the roads are open. I also fear that although the races themselves are 'free' the actual costs of attending both TT Course events for non-Island residents is becoming ridiculous. Be careful DED, IOMSPCC etc etc you're all in real danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

If Im spared and well, come August, it be my 22nd Manx GP, and yes, If i had to pick, it be the Manx, hands down!
29-06-2023, 11:18 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Just for cost comparison / reference - since TT23 i've been to Muse gig at MK Bowl and F1 Free Practice Friday at Silverstone ... at Muse one 330ml can of beer was £6, soft drinks £3, chips and various average chicken £14, very average pizza £14 and £90 ticket booked well in advance to see 2 & 1/2hrs of main concert ... F1 Friday the ticket was thankfully free but retail was £140 - no seating or parking just general foot admission, very small portion fish n chips £15, very small portion chips £5, 500ml soft drink £4 ??? and very small (half size of Davisons IoM) ice cream £4 .... all way more than anywhere at TT or MGP but just checked boat for car+1 mid / late August and it's £470 to get on the boat which as has been mentioned is a huge amount of money before any accommodation has been paid for.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023, 08:23 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
10-07-2023, 08:22 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
(13-06-2023, 10:06 PM)Nasher Wrote: Bike number 69 (posted by Dommyman) on this page - but mega exhausts added this year

https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthr...567&page=5

It's a Honda K4 350

The bike is now for sale in the classifieds.....

19-09-2023, 06:42 PM
Find Reply