Camper van
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Camper van
So this will be my 1st Manx and the 1st time iv been to the island without my bike. I'm on the 2am tomorrow morning. I'm looking at parking the van up in a different place each night. It's a VW That 5 so not a big van. I'm trying to avoid campsites . Any one got any recommendations for over night parking with a good view and maybe a pub in working distance. Iv always stayed in Douglas so I want to avoid there and try different places. Also any recommendations to watch from with van parking . Thanks chaps and long live TTwebsite
23-08-2023, 10:23 AM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 133
RE: Camper van
I'm no motorhome expert on rough camping but there were several motorhomes on the Eastern end of Peel Prom during the TT.

Steady Edddie who used to own a motorhome always praised the views staying at the top of the gravel track at Creneash that leads up to the old abandoned radar station by the Myall Circle.

As far as watching is concerned, there are many places, some chargeable, but the field next to my marshalling point at Laurel Bank 2 is free to use, the entry is just downstream of the marshalling point.

I'm sure others will have suggestions.

Enjoy!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
23-08-2023, 01:07 PM
Find Reply
Multirider Offline

Threads: 1
The car park at Glen Helen is also close to the course.

@Chris_Sav: I know the Laurel Bank section. But where exactly is Laurel Bank 2? And is it a good photo spot?

Cheers

Rudi
Don´t dream your life, live your dreams!

23-08-2023, 09:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 133
Horses for courses! always been one of my favourites as you have the left hander past Laurel bank one followed by the right hander at Laurel Bank two, then glorious noise as they accelerate up to Black Dub.

I like to see the bikes being handled.

After turning right at Ballacrane you go about half a mile to the wide turning on the left, the Northern Road to Peel at Ballig. Another half mile takes you bearing right past "Rock Face" on the left for obvious reasons (and memorial plaque to Steve Harding) and the Laurel Bank one marshalling point on the right. Then comes the left hander mentioned above to Laurel Bank two right hander.

If you are on a bike then access is easy parking in the small bike park on the right inside the right hander of Laurel Bank two, the marshalling point is on the outside of the bend. Best viewing point is on the bank behind the marshals, though you can view from the parking area.

The small field used for viewing follows on the left and doubles as the helicopter landing point so don't park in the middle! The owner has always allowed cars in and the entrance is just past and around the back of the house on the left.

There is no other car parking before Black Dub, apart from up the top of the track leading up the hill and footpath behind the marshals to 'road of the shallow ford' but you'll need to be fit!

Drawbacks? Once in you're stuck there unless you park at Road of the Shallow Ford and walk down. On a warm quiet evening the midges are rampant so take midge repellent with you.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
23-08-2023, 11:04 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Thanks for the info. First few hours on the island was spent catching up with some kip on Marine Drive great views after the big lads breakfast in the cafe of course. Very smart Honda endurance racer at the terminal this morning with a number 5 on it. Think I have heard metion of it on this site before.
24-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Find Reply