I of M newbie
Fescue Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
I of M newbie
Going for the first time; have all transportation and accommodations set. Looking for any details, insights, tips, where to go and what to do (racing, obviously) etc. All advice is welcome.
04-03-2024, 02:42 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
RE: I of M newbie
First of all welcome to the Forum, its a long way round is a TT lap and there are plenty of places to watch some are free and some you have to pay for if it was me for the first time I would watch at Bray Hill witch is roughly about quarter of a mile from the start its very fast with a right hand corner at the bottom witch is taken flat out another thing is where ever you watch on a race day get there early another thing you can do is go on one of the coach tours for a lap with a ex TT or Manx GP rider talking you round the circuit anyway enjoy your experience and there are plenty of forum members who will give you plenty of advice and tips.
04-03-2024, 08:54 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 401
Yes, welcome, there is so much to tell you!
Silja has a thread at the start of this section, about the TT course, with an idea of different places, but, I agree that bottom of Bray Hill is a must-do for a newcomer to watch from!
early arrival is key, i.e. 06.00 am early!for a good spot!
i'm sure more ideas will come up on this thread.

Gorse Lea another very, very fast spot, but there's a lot of places, all around the course, usually subject to you being able to get to them, buses, taxis, walking etc.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2024, 01:23 PM by captainsparkledotcom.)
04-03-2024, 09:01 AM
Website Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 133
Welcome to the forum.

You have a lot of choice in 37¾ miles! Just plan your day well, be ready for weather changes, particularly on the mountain, and whether you need to cross the course to get where you want to go to/from.

Ballaugh Bridge normally has some excitement and you can watch from the Raven pub! I prefer twisty bits than a motion blur. Pint at the Sulby is excellent for that.

Be careful getting to your chosen spot close to road closure times, that's when most accidents happen.

If a marshal gives you instructions then obey them, better still why not be a novice marshal? that way you get really up close and personal to the racing.

Enjoy! you'll want to come back!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
04-03-2024, 12:07 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
Wink  RE: I of M newbie
(04-03-2024, 12:07 PM)Chris_Sav Wrote: Enjoy! you'll want to come back!

Never a truer word spoken... Op needs to get ready for a serious addiction 😁

=======================================================================
See you on the island
05-03-2024, 11:18 PM
Find Reply
Fescue Offline
Just Getting Started

It's been five years of talking about it with friends, and finally, our timing worked out to make it happen. Six of us are heading your way late May.
06-03-2024, 04:44 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

(06-03-2024, 04:44 AM)Fescue Wrote: It's been five years of talking about it with friends, and finally, our timing worked out to make it happen. Six of us are heading your way late May.

It's a brilliant event but your first TT is truly breathtaking. I can still remember my first visit, me and two mates. I were only 17, went as footy 's for the 1986 senior. That was the start of a life long obsession.

Best times I've had with my clothes on have been on the island 😁

You'll love it, there really is nothing like it, it's special, you'll know exactly what i mean when you're sat in the hedgerows waiting for the first bikes to flash through and turning your world upside down.

See you on the island
06-03-2024, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
So many places to watch from. Bray Hill is a good call for your first experience as is the Conker Trees. Try a trip up the Mountain. Catch the Mountain Railway from Laxey up to the Bungalow. And don't forget that the island is stunning. On the off days from racing get out there and explore, both the interior roads and great beaches. Laxey is my favourite.
11-03-2024, 10:15 AM
Find Reply

And buy an OS map of the island to find your way around the back roads. There are a number of places in the interior of the island where you can move from place to place whilst the roads are closed. This gives you the option of watching the first race from one spot and then moving to another for the second spot. There is also the access road that goes under Braddan Bridge to be able to get around when the roads are closed.
11-03-2024, 11:51 AM
Find Reply
Fescue Offline
Just Getting Started

Road map delivered. I see that as essential to carry along. And I am staying in Ramsey for the duration. Let me know of the must stop restaurants, pubs, local stores/businesses to visit there.
Icon_cool
11-03-2024, 01:07 PM
Find Reply

Make sure you have a portable radio to listen to the commentary. A bit lost without it.
11-03-2024, 03:47 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

(11-03-2024, 01:07 PM)Fescue Wrote: Road map delivered. I see that as essential to carry along. And I am staying in Ramsey for the duration. Let me know of the must stop restaurants, pubs, local stores/businesses to visit there.

Ramsey or Raaamsey as its sometimes called locally is a good spot.

First of all, you can do a night out of the whole town on foot. Start at Parliament Square on the TT Course. There are two pubs, one inside the course and one outside. Expect plastic glasses at both as they're on the course. Both are likely to be busy over the race period. The Swan (inside the course) does food while the Central doesn't.

Head down the main shopping street and Rum Babas is on your left around 150m. Its more restaurant than bar though. 100m on the right is Bar Logo. Expect a younger crowd with live music too.

Just across the road is the Plough which is my local. Its more a traditional pub with no food but its a friendly enough spot.

Out of the Plough turn left at the door and then left again. You're now on the Quay. You'll see the massive crowd outside the Trafalgar (or Traf as its known). This is a popular spot but don't be put off by the crowd, its usually quick to get served.

Just down from the Traf is the Mitre. There's also a music venue underneath but great sunset views from the Harbour Bar upstairs.

Finally on the corner is the Commercial or Commie.

The Commie partially fronts onto Market Place which is where the local authority will stage their Sprintfest. A selection of bands will be playing over TT week. Its free too and you're welcome to bring a load of cans with you and chill.

The Royal George is also their but that's currently closed and will apparently be  taken over by Barbary Coast (a sort of IOM Nandos). No idea if they'll be open for TT though.

The town has 2 chippies, 3 chinese (2 takeaway only), an indian, plus assorted takeaway outlets. The kebab shop is open till 2 at weekends but may shut before then. During the day there is a variety of cafes and some may open later for TT.

There's no late bar or club. Bar Logo and the Mitre may open till 1.00am but don't expect anything later.

Finally there's a private club - the RAOB Club which is known as The Buffs. Entry will depend on your behaviour but it may open a little later and if you're camping its on your way back.
(This post was last modified: 20-03-2024, 01:13 PM by taxman.)
20-03-2024, 01:10 PM
Find Reply
racer77 Offline
Just Getting Started

Great post Taxman.

Would there be anything similar for people staying at other locations, Douglas, Peel etc etc??
21-03-2024, 09:36 AM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

We operate a very strict north/south divide and anything "south of the bridge" (Ballaugh Bridge) is a dark and mysterious world that nobody goes to - in fact Douglas is known as "that Douglas" for this very reason. The southerners all talk funny and inbreed.

More seriously, my notes are opinion/experience based and because Ramsey is quite small, its a little easier to do. I don't go to Douglas or Peel often enough to be able to offer a view and because there are so many different bars and restaurants etc especially in Douglas, many of which I've never been to, it would be wrong for me to try.
21-03-2024, 02:38 PM
Find Reply
Fescue Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks, taxman.  And I like the suggestion for the off-the-beaten path places to visit. More my thing. And because I do want to be mobile, is the Go Card the way to get around? Can they be purchased upon arrival there or better to order now and have it shipped this way?
Icon_cool
25-03-2024, 03:04 AM
Find Reply

Oh, and check roaming charges with your mobile provider. It can very very expensive. To avoid these costs you can order a SIM card from Manx telecom that can either be delivered to your home address or collect when on the island. Then it's pay as you go.
25-03-2024, 01:35 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 401
Good shout about the sim cards!
 I made the mistake of switching 'tariff' last xmas, it's still EE & it's cheaper BUT all new contracts go back to the old 'roaming' style & charge you a fortune on Tylerman, as Smokin Haddock says!
Must remember to order a sim card from Manx Telecom, like we used to, in the olden days!! 😂
25-03-2024, 03:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Fescue Offline
Just Getting Started

The whole purpose of this trip is to perhaps get away from my phone. Ha.
Icon_cool
27-03-2024, 01:27 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

(27-03-2024, 01:27 PM)Fescue Wrote: The whole purpose of this trip is to perhaps get away from my phone. Ha.

Good shout, you don't need a phone. You need a radio, a program and some sun tan lotion.

Some money doesn't go amiss neither 😁😁

See you on the island
27-03-2024, 11:07 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
and don't forget the midge repellent those things have big teeth and are hungry

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
(This post was last modified: 28-03-2024, 12:01 PM by serowmaster.)
28-03-2024, 11:57 AM
Find Reply