Bah Humbug!
read the story here -
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-m...-minister/
22-03-2024, 04:03 PM
Website Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
RE: New TT scoreboard 'not a priority'!
Firstly, each to their own, but for me the old scoreboard was so slow to update (people writing on slates and the slates being put in place by scouts), it could only be seen by a very few people in the grandstand/pit lane along with faster & faster lap times making the information fairly useless to pit crews - a relic of a bygone era

Add to that, the often published opinion on here, that real TT fans watch 'from the hedges' it means the old scoreboard had become nothing more than a quirky piece of nostalgia, It's biggest achievement in recent times has been to give those who do not like change of any sort something to moan about on social media

A couple of big screens to give accurate information to crews (mobile phones are not allowed in pit lane, so live timing is not available) plus those in the grandstand who wish to see it, is all that required for the 24 days of the TT & Manx Grand Prix - I'm pretty sure its isn't used for the other 341 days of the year (342 this year!)

If I were a Manx tax payer, I wouldn't want my taxes to pay for a new scoreboard

As I said at the beginning of this post, each to their own, don't flame me for my opinions
22-03-2024, 05:31 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
It's the very typical Manx Govt snide approach to the whole thing that has naffed me off - a well managed decline of the structure then demolish it on the surprise surprise grounds of HnS with no new structure in place but tell everybody with typical doublespeak that a new one will appear and even include the Cubs n Scouts on a possible new design ......... then it doesn't appear and actually not having a new board was surprise surprise the idea all along. Yes it was old and possibly behind the times but my TT / MGP journey started as Cub on the scoreboard along with many others it gave a huge amount of pride and excitement to be working on the scoreboard and in the tower...I just feel the whole process could have been managed in a much better upfront honest and generally decent fashion, if it wasn't going to happen then say that from the off, don't employ the time-served method of Problem - Reaction - Solution to get things done as 2024 lots of people have seen through that schtick.
22-03-2024, 07:40 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 31
(22-03-2024, 07:40 PM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: It's the very typical Manx Govt snide approach to the whole thing that has naffed me off - a well managed decline of the structure then demolish it on the surprise surprise grounds of HnS with no new structure in place but tell everybody with typical doublespeak that a new one will appear and even include the Cubs n Scouts on a possible new design ......... then it doesn't appear and actually not having a new board was surprise surprise the idea all along. Yes it was old and possibly behind the times but my TT / MGP journey started as Cub on the scoreboard along with many others it gave a huge amount of pride and excitement to be working on the scoreboard and in the tower...I just feel the whole process could have been managed in a much better upfront honest and generally decent fashion, if it wasn't going to happen then say that from the off, don't employ the time-served method of Problem - Reaction - Solution to get things done as 2024 lots of people have seen through that schtick.

I have to say, that whilst you & I may disagree on about the board (coming from different experiences) I feel that your views on the Manx Govt approach reflects my (much more limited) experience. Certainly, when seeking opinions they seem appalling bad at giving the rationale to proposals. Something I always point out with my responses to them

My other bug bear is the fact that the Manx Grand Prix has been going for over 100 years and very few people even know it exists!!

On the plus side, only 66 sleeps until I'm back on Mona's Isle (and 148 until the Manx)
22-03-2024, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Yeah Nasher defo - see you all over there......I can see/understand all sides of the board discussion...the big point raised by those who worked on the boards with the scoreboard while that it being old, simple and knackered and past it's tech/sell by date is that it still worked and would have been so easy and much better value to update like painting the Forth Bridge as a work-around for a few years waiting for a sensible future based decision with newer scaffolding and wood which is effectively all the board behind the front elevation/facade had become ... that and I don't recall any Cubs n Scouts having any safety issues while working on the board - heck we used to sit with our legs dangling over the front at the start before any instructions came through or lap sheets were torn off. The Govt policy seems to be ignore/lie/stick head in sand/talk doublespeak b*ll*cks then when the project goes time and financially clocksprings either move or get moved to another govt goon dept or disappear into gold plated pension obscurity.
23-03-2024, 10:28 AM
Find Reply