Lost spectators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lost spectators
Interesting comments Tom re. the sparsity of spectators on the Mountain. If you look at the really old photos, say pre war, there are thousands pictured all the way up to Kate's.That was when "Motor Cycle" and " Motor Cycling" ran special day excursions, and a coach took you to the Creg.
Yet the Tourist Board keep telling me that there are virtually as many going over as ever.
My little theory? The races are so short that there is no point making the effort to go up onto the mountain with flask and sandwiches, for a race that may be delayed, shortened, and over in one hour twelve minutes.I've been up on the mountain at last year's Manx on the right hander before the Black Hut, but it did seem a lot of effort for such short races. Better to be at a Pub, and be able to get off somewhere instead of waiting for the roads open car on a cold mountain.Years ago a race would last going on three hours.Anyone else agree with this theory?
09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Lost spectators
Yes I agree Nick, I also think that spectators/people in general are alot more demanding than in previous years, the days have perhaps gone where spectators would treat the racing as the main reason they attend the TT/MGP, more so TT, and so can't be bothered to go upto the mountain for a day out, rain or shine when they can easily go , as you say to a pub and watch from there when there could be, as is geting very frequent these days, a long delay.
Still at least the 250's are back at the NW200 and hopefully this will lead to a return to the TT and make the short programme a litle more varied and interesting ;-)
Russ
10-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Nick & Russ

I think it's because most of the vantage points are now forbidden areas to spectators, where as years ago you could watch any where you liked round the mountain course. There are many vantage points I have been watching from since I was a kid that are all now forbidden areas to spectators.
P.S. In the past I have sat on a hedge for hours in all weather to watch the two strokes over the mountain section, but I but I can't say I will go to those lengths for the classes lined up for 2005.(Once a two stroker always a two stroker: )
10-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also think that nowadays (compared to yonks ago), a lot more people have their own transport and so can go to a lot more places. In the past photographs of places like Governors back up to Kates were full of spectators, but now I reckon that people are more spread out around the course. There ARE a lot of resticted places now, but TT spectators can be very resourceful and find places where you wouldn't have thought it was possible to watch from. I always thought that Ballacrye was very limited, but when I went there I was surprised by the number of speccys.
10-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember the good old days (well not that old) it was TT92 I think, and we watched the 250 race on the outside of the course at the first bend of quarry bends, its basically the bit the bikes aim for before chucking in into the right hander, my mate had never been to the TT before and this was his first race, Brian Reid came into view on the loctite TZ 250 and the speed and noise was so much of a shock for my mate that he rolled back down the bank in shock ;-) and he was then a biker of 10yrs, so it wasnt the first time he'd seen a bike.
I also remember the TT 96 F1 race, I was watching at the first jump going into Rhen Cullen (Birkins?) on the wall on the inside, so we couldnt see anything approaching from Kirk Micheal, we could just hear it and a certain racer who started this thread and is from a famous racing family from Yorkshire and indeed won the 93 F1 ( I won't name him for legal reasons ;-)) came over the rise with his right leg sticking out at 90 degrees, some sight I can tell you!!! Can you remember that Nick or is it one of those moments that spectators come over and say "I saw you do xyz at xyz " but when on the bike you don't realise what it actually looks like?
Russ
10-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with you there Billy - I wonder how many people were watching at the likes of the Black Dub, 11th Milestone, Rhencullen, Alpine etc years ago. From what I've seen on old photos spectators were all in the traditional, popular areas like Quarter Bridge, the Creg etc.
10-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can distinctly remember the row of folding chairs on the outside at Wildlife Park
and could not believe they would be able to remain there.
When the marshal came along before the race he just politely asked if people would
mind not put their feet in the gutter as the bikes are going quite quick when they arrive here!!!
I think it is opposite Rose Cottage?
11-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still don't understand how people are allowed on the left hand side at Rhencullen, but not on the other side. Anyone know?
11-12-2004, 10:41 AM