Commentators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Commentators
What a difference a good commentator makes. Watched the iil-fated BSB from last week, and was just disgusted by Barry Nuttley's attitude. Horrendous crashes are, apparently, "good value for money" and the crowd "got their money's worth" Really, Barry?...I'm sure neither the people who crashed, nor their friends thought so, and as a spectator, neither did I. Barry's commentary is so puerile and uninformed compared to some of the MotoGP guys, with Randy, of course, standing out as exceptional.
His knowledge of bikes, people, knowing who the background people are and who to ask, make a very rounded account of what goes on and why.
Kinners, of course, has much in common in the way he interviews the right people at the right time on the Island. Keep up the good work, laddie!
So, who's your favourite commentator?
01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Commentators
Fred Clarke,
I've only ever heard him doing the TT on the radio but a few years ago I was spanering with a guy at the TT and I was impressed when I saw Fred wandering around the campsite with a notebook talking to every rider he could find.
He was as interested in the guy who finished last as he was the winner
01-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I watched Geoff Cannel commentating at Billown with just a copy of the program in his hand, he knows his stuff.
I like Moody, Ryder and Mamola on Eurosport they know their bikes/riders as well.
01-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

'Kinners' seems to be settling in. I think he was thrown in at the deep end. His first TT interview was on the lines of

"er, this bike, er , is it er fast?"
"yes" said the bewildered interviewee
"er, right, over to the studio"

Andy Wint was the anchor man and span a disc. "Back to Chris at the TT paddock..."

"Why have you got two bikes the same"
"They're not the same, one's a 600 the other's a 1000 production machine"
"er, are they fast, er, back to the studio"

It was the opening broadcast of the meeting with Radio TT. At the time Chris knew even less about bikes than Andy, but he has a genuine enthusiasm in his role.

01-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, he has got to know all the riders, whether they are currently winners or not, so, when the learners become winners, they are happy to see him and tell him things they would not share with a "sun" style commentator. Bike racing isn't just about wheelies and fastest in a straight line. It's about people...a person with no depth of character would never win on the best bike, but look at Rossi, and before him Hailwood...jump on anything and win...get to know the person, and you will be able to guess who is going to be a winner.
01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the Kind words, i like to interview people as people and not as Stars and they all are Stars wether it's the top men or the guys who as other people still say are only here to fill the grids they are just as important as John Mc and co to the TT and it's future.
Hope you all enjoy the TT this year and say hello if you spot me out and about
Chris Kinley
03-05-2005, 07:41 PM