sidecar & acu & Kevlar
Anonymous
Unregistered

sidecar & acu & Kevlar
Read this on another site
ATTENTION: ALL SIDECAR PASSENGERS - IMPORTANT NOTICE RE KEVLAR SUITS

"THE ACU ROAD RACE COMMITTEE HAS DECIDED THAT KEVLAR SUITS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE FOR SIDECAR PASSENGERS COMPETING AT PUBLIC ROAD VENUES. THIS DECISION IS WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT."

PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND

05-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: sidecar & acu & Kevlar
Yes, that's official. I am inclined to agree, as I think it contributed to at least one serious accident last year. I love my Kevlars, so much more comfortable, and easier to move around in, but, no braking in the material, unlike leather, so you just slide till you hit something.
Maybe some material will be developed that can be "striped" in to add that stopping factor, but I can't see there being much effort put in, as sidecar passengers are not a very large or lucrative market.
I'll keep mine for the road, where they are great, cos they are so stretchy, and , in the meantime I'll try to figure out how my leathers have shrunk so much...
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

didn't one sidecar passenger get covered in petrol and slide out of the passengerseat last year? It was said that he just couldn't hold on anylonger. petrol and kevlar don't mix to well
05-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doesn't really matter who fell out and for what reason and personally I would not like to speculate or be reminded.

For once I think this is a sensible decision and an overdue one.

Kevlar is lightweight, stretchy and nicely ventalated, great for short circuit racing where you are on an almost billiard table surface with not much to hit.

However personally speaking I think it is rubbish for road racing due to the level of impact protection and grip they offer.

Leathers might be hot and sweaty beasts but if I am going to take a tumble I on any road circuit I would rather be waaring them than something that feels like it would offer all the protection of Jeans and a Tshirt
06-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

And before ANYONE points out my spelling is rubbish, I know but hey it is still early...hehe
06-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Fitz. I wish there were more of us buying though, because I think a little bit of ingenuity could devise a combination suit that would give us the wonderful flexibility of kevlar, but make most of the suit from nice, solid, grippy leather.With computer cutting, etc??
It could be a revolution like the introduction of one-piece leathers all those years ago, led by Geoff Duke.
Incidentally, I can remember people racing in two-piece suits, and in those dreadful plastic go-kart suits...
06-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to jump in, seeing as I'm not commenting on the issue at hand, but I'm trying to get in contact with an old mate of mine from St. Helens by the name of Colin Hardman. I know he passengers in sidecars and last ime I met up with him was at the TT in 2000. Since then I've lost contact.
Regards, Graham Charnock
London Ontario Canada
06-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

there is a C Hardman in the phone book
o1624 844083 it may be him or not
06-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

If that is not the C Hardman you are looking for please drop me an email and I will contact you.

Fitz.

07-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would love to see Helen sliding towards me in one of those body hugging kevlar suits.
07-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, Don, I wouldn't be able to stop myself!(I'll tell Gwen on you!)
07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know what they say Helen--the older they get----!You would have to make yourself up to look Japanese though.Sorry Don
07-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Graham, Colin here, sorry we have lost touch. Please send your telephone number or e-mail at <A HREF="mailto:jessica.hyde@manx.net">jessica.hyde@manx.net</A>. Would love to catch up. Colin.
17-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great to hear from you Colin, emails are on the way.
Graham
18-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Colin, sent a couple of emails to you but heard nothing so far.

28-07-2005, 05:41 AM