Gary Hocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gary Hocking
Hi..
I am researching the life and times of Gary Hocking and need a correct birthday or year of birth. One source gives it as 1936 and another says 1937.

Thanks so much..

AnnEz / Sweden

05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Gary Hocking
Taken from a book called " Grand Prix Motorcycle Championships of the World " 1949-1975

Born 30th September 1937
Died 21st December 1962

Hope that helps ?

cheers,
Stella
05-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can't help with the birth date, however I note that he was born in England.
Other information that may assist is that he died during practice for the Natal GP in a Lotus 24 on 22 Dec 1962.
He is buried in the Christchurch cemetery, I can only assume this is the Christchurch near Bournemouth in England.
A Nick Taylor is also writing a biography on him, unfortunately the only contact I can give you is this exchange on a bulletin board,
<A HREF="http://www.knowhere.co.uk/board/kb3314/">http://www.knowhere.co.uk/board/kb3314/</A>
It is great that these famous riders are never forgotten, good luck with the book.

06-06-2005, 03:31 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Stella..
Yes..this must be true because somewhere on the net is a ' history' page for motorcycle races and 30th Sept is the date given. This means Gary Hocking has two more b'days before he turns 70! Imagine that!!
I was at Kyalami on 15th Dec 1962 and watched him race. So his sudden death was a shattering shock! It seems like yesterday.
Thank you for your help..it is much appreciated..
Cheers..AnnEz
06-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Don..
Thanks for your info. The same history page says this..
September 30
Gary Hocking, 1961 500cc Motorcycle Grand Prix World Champion, born in Newport, Wales (1937).
src:http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=169419&FS=HISTORY

I'm not writing a book but am making a webpage with my little sad story attached. The pictures I will use are not mine so I hope I won't get shot at. I will put the src urls.
This is, for me, a gigantic step back into the past..but I have wanted to do the page for a long time.
I'm glad I found this board!!

Cheers..AnnEz
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wales! Well that is a surprise. I once lived in Christchurch in 1965 and actually visited that cemetery
but only to pay my respects to the Australian airmen who lay there. I had no idea that the famous Gary Hocking rests there as well.
All is not what it always seems, I wonder if anyone else can add to your story?
There are people on this board with prodigious memories (or was that mammaries?). Helen might know.

06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

8))Does Helen come from Florida? People I write there tend to say t'marrow instead of tomorrow. It must be all that sun!

Yes..perhaps some Hocking family will pick this up and comment.

Have a great day..
AE
06-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would hardly call Scotland, Florida.
06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh! I get the point. Well people who visit Scotland usually fall in love with the country. I wonder what the main attraction is there???
Perhaps it's Nessie??
06-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gary Hocking was a Welshman and is buried here in Wales, Christchurch, Newport. I found his resting place in a dilapitated state a few years ago & arranged to have it refurbished by a local stone mason who did a first class job. I have lent a photo to someone but never got it back.
06-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a photo somewere of Garry at Oulton Park racing a car, if you want it for your research i will post it to you.
06-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your very welcome. We had no idea that gary was born in Wales, as they say you learn something new everyday !
good luck with your project.

cheers,
Stella

PS Never mind the Loch Ness monster Helen and i are well worth a visit to Scotland !!! she lives approx 40 miles from me :-)
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

That would be wonderful and thank you so much! I will put it on his webpage with a credit to you.
As soon as I have finished the page I will post it out..hopefully this week. I can always remove and improve.
AE
06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was very kind of you! When you read my story you will understand that he really made a deep impression on me and I will always be sorry I never got to actually meet him.
Thank you for your info and God Bless..and should you obtain another picture..I would truly appreciate a copy.
AE
06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I seem to be on a new journey and it's great to have others along with me.
I will keep in mind what you say about Nessie..
My folks visited Scotland in 1972 and just fell in love with the country. They said they would like to move there when they retired. I myself was seriously planning to do my Midwifery training in Glasgow or Edinburgh but one by one the others in the group lost interest so it came to nothing. I have always regretted not doing as planned.
06-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes its a beautifull country and Edinburgh is only 10 miles from my home. I trained as a nurse over 25yrs ago at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh. Gave up work when my boys were born but work now full time as a childminder as i always loved children, but now i hand them back to their parents at 6pm ! so have the best of both worlds :-)

cheers,
Stella
06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oi! Wot's all this taking my name in vain, when I am on the Island and out of touch...we witches have ways of getting our own back. I'm afraid neither my meories nor my mammaries are as extensive as Don hypothesises!
I am Scots born and bred, and think it's far better than florida. As Stella indicated, we are a hospitable lot, and all contributors to this board will find a warm welcome if they care to visit.
<A HREF="mailto:thewitch@ecosse.net">thewitch@ecosse.net</A>
07-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too love kids and have them around me at work. I watch their progress from under one year to 15yrs. It's a challenge keeping up with their attitudes and actions. Music and the computer are great for making positive contact.
07-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gary Hocking-Webpage
I have made a webpage for Gary Hocking and hope it does him credit. Feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers..Vladd77
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM