Sachsenring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sachsenring
Went on my annual trip to Sachsenring for the Moto GP at the weekend.I was privelaged to spend some time with the late Walter Kaaden of MZ fame's son and grandson, they are really nice people.A very touching gesture was a flag that Valentino Rossi carried on his lap of honour with written on it MIKE HAILWOOD 76 GP WINS, VALENTINO ROSSI 76 GP WINS- SORRY MIKE. He said he was very privelaged to have equalled Mike's record. He will go on and beat it to make him up to now the 3rd most succesfull rider of all time
but I thought it was a sincere tribute to the greatest ever. I have said it before I think with Rossi we are witnessing a very special rider who himself will go down in history as one of the all time greats.
04-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Sachsenring
Fair comment Elwyn about Rossi but in the world of road racing i think Guy Martin will go to better things? As he like Rossi young and even this year he has matured beyond belief as most road race fans will agree and the nice thing about him he speaks honestly and is destined for more success.
04-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guy Martin the equal of Valentino Rossi?
My credulity has been stretched to breaking point and far beyond.
Guy Martin can ride a bike , no doubt,but what has he done?
Vale has won 76 GPs.
How many GPs has Guy Martin won? Nil.
How many TTs? Nil
BSB rounds? Nil
The fact is Guy Martin is a promising talent with a gift for the gab.
Valentino Rossi he is not.
04-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

About time moto gp got rid of dead wood.Checa roberts and co bring in young blood then lets see how rossi reacts
04-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So Tonto who ever you are ? Elwyn in his posting said that about Rossi we are witnessing a real a real special m/cycle racer and i replied that we are witnessing a rising star in ROADRACING,at no time did i compare Valentino Rossi with Guy Martin a brilliant rising star in road racing, so please read the postings before you get your Rossi knickers in a twist.Just think about m/cycle racers 30 years ago they raced the roads and mickey mouse man made circuits, i never have slagged off Rossi he's the best in the modern era by miles but i sometimes wonder how some of other GP riders would tackle the TT circuit?
04-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like you, Pykey, I agree that Rossi is the most amazing motorcycle rider (and personality)I think I have ever seen HOWEVER to say he's the best of all time as some people have, then I would have to reserve my judgement until I saw him race the TT circuit.

It's got to the stage that when my daughter phones about MotoGP results she never asks who wins, just who came in 2nd and 3rd. Unbelievable what he does on a motorcycle and I never tire of watching him. Must be demoralising for his opposition. It's the same with our Aussie swimmer, Ian Thorpe, but since he's been resting out of the pool the others are catching up to his achievements, one of his records even being broken. Agree that people like Checa could move over for some young talent. 'bout time.
04-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Enough of all this chat about the best racer of all time, which this thread seems to be developing into.

There ain't no such person - at least, no-one can be proved to be so.

Best of their time - now that's a different matter.

Our sport has had Alec Bennett, Walter Handley, Stanley Woods, Jimmie Guthrie, Geoff Duke, Mike Hailwood -- and that's only the Brits (sorry Stanley!!).

Point is, if asked to put even these 6 in order of merit, I wouldn't dare to try.

Let's settle for "best of their time" and leave it at that?
04-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I couldnt agree more with those saying that you cant possibily compare diferent eras and road and "track" racers
However, I make no bones about being completely blinkered over Mike Hailwood. He rode bikes of akll kinds at the TT as well as the GPs and other short circuit stuff.
Granted, the likes of Bill Ivy did the same.
Ago is another who did well at the TT and GPs.

But SMBH?
As I say, I AM blinkered!
But he has been the best I have seen.
..and then?
I have been ahuge Vali fan since he started on 125s.
A supreme talent.
He will set records that may never be beaten.
He recognises how great Hailwood was, too.
So lets all agree to disagree.
We all have our favourites (which will obviouisly vary with our ages! My first TT was 67 which will tell you all you need to know)
Its part of what makes the sport so enjoyable.
We DO have so many to chose from.
Joey, Bob Mac, Hartle, Shwantz, Grant, Read, Ivy etc, etc
Remebering them all is a joy..

Mike
M.V.

05-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Larry i agree 'the best of all time' but these days racing on the roads and Grand Prix are totally seperate and racing the TT was a round of the world championship, imagine Rossi tackling the mountain circuit but i think he would be ok if he took the trouble to learn it?
05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike pride of place in my living room is pics of The Late JG Williams, Bob Mac,SMB,Mez Phil Mellor,and Pat Hennen and John Donnan, its true there are many great riders but SMB was in my lifetime the best allrounder.
05-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has been very interesting but I must agree with those that say comparisons are unfair and impossible.My own opinion is that motorcycle racing has divided itself into 2 distinct catagories, Road Racing and Track Racing and although I know this division allways existed the saftey factors have altered considerably.
In the 50s/60s many of the short circuits were pretty hazardous with poor surfaces and little run off as in many cases they were as the military left them at the end of WW2 so riding the road circuits was not such big deal,just a change of scenery.
Regarding the merits of each rider it is down to the era you were living in and as previous contributors have said comparisons cannot be made,what you can say that those who have been mentioned are all excepional riders.
Looking at a whole life in the sport for safe preservation and ability I would say that Phil Read has been an exceptional motorcyclist
05-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur i read your postings and you certainly know your facts but Phil Read but are you talking about safety? didnt he walk away from the TT then came back after riders were offered more.I recall him slating the TT then made a comeback mmmmm money talks even the marshalls on his comeback threatened to strike on the Cronky-Voddy straight.But this whats great about our sport its all a matter of opinion and Tonto i say at this prsent time Rossi is the best by streaks at MOTO GP so Tonto over to you?
05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that "The Greatest" controversy can go on for ever with an ever changing scene,
I support the "....of their time" claims but we have to acknowledge that there is a significant difference between the TT and short circuit racing.
There is another, almost forgotten, category of best "allrounder" title.
Sammy Miller is still an active rider with a huge portfolio of successes covering the the whole motor cycle sport spectrum.
I think that Sammy is a dammed good egg.
06-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris in the days gone by a lot if riders were involved in trials and scrambles i have a video of The Picton trial which was difficult event and guess who is on it? John Hartle, John Surtees MV AGUSTA team mate.
06-08-2005, 07:17 PM