MGP Newcomers
Anonymous
Unregistered

MGP Newcomers
Ok i might be old in my ways but i understood the MGP was a stepping stone to the TT? in no way am i critisizing the former TT riders that have been accepted but it doesnt seem fair on the newcomers and when were the rules changed?
21-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: MGP Newcomers
surely riders that have already done the mgp or tt cannot ride in the newcomers races pykey?
ade!
21-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rules haven't been changed, Pykey.
I agree with you that the MGP is an entirely different race, and while it could be seen as a stepping stone to the TT, I don't think it should be a path back from it, or a place where failed TT entrants go. Lets face it, if someone has a couple of goes at the TT, and can't qualify, they probably aren't fast enough for the Manx either.
As far as the "training for the TT" bit goes, yes, that's great, but some of the best MGP riders have retired after winning, because they simply don't want to do the TT. If you win a Manx, it is assumed that when you move to the TT you will weant to win there, but there is little chance of anyone wining the TT who does not have a huge budget and a team behind them.That may not be their style.
It was always the way, and back in the 20s that's why the Amateur TT, later the MGP came about. Lets keep it so people have a choice, and keep them separate and different.Diversity rules!
21-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ade i wasnt refering to the newcomers sorry i meant the MGP in general but in the days gone by if you had won the a TT you were not allowed in the MGP.I dont blame the riders just the system it seems a bit unfair on the newcomers (all classes)
21-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok Helen point taken but i am old fashioned and i reckon once you have won a MGP thats it TT here we come? in no way i am critical of any riders they dont make the rules.
21-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

pykey, as far as i'm aware, once you actually win a mgp you are not allowed to race in the manx again. this is in the main races, don't know about the two classic races.
cheers, ade!
21-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are still allowed to do the classic races once you have won a MGP Modern class.

Cheers

Tony
21-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So... has a TT rider allowed to ride in the MGP this year?
Don't forget until this year, Manx riders could ride in the Production TT and still be eligible to return to the MGP.
I have done this myself, as have a number of fairly high profile riders.
23-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you'll find that those that have qualified at the TT are only allowed to take part in the Classic races at the Manx.
25-08-2005, 02:59 PM