Manx GP 2005
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manx GP 2005
We all love the TT and the Manx but how can we qualify all the fatal accidents that happened this year ?

They were doing what they enjoyed............??

No, one just feels sick and confused.............

02-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Manx GP 2005
I have raced both the TT and the MGP, the Island is a special place. The mountain circuit provides a unique racing experience... but at what cost?
We all know and accept the risks when we enter the races but speaking for myself, the very sad events which have happened this year at both the TT and the MGP have made me think.
My heart felt condolences go out to those riders and their families and friends.
There but for the grace of God go I.
02-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your comments, this terrible situation just can not go on....

Is it the AGE of competitors, the once-a-year riders, the tyres going off, the fatigue, the speed, the preparation (both rider and machine), WHAT ??

"We'll make it better next year"....Now when have I heard that before ? NOW DO SOMETHING !
02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Traveling marshal had a lucky escape at the top of bray hill, he set off from the start only to find the rope still across the road, I think he broke his leg. This was also the reason for the delay before the senior race.
Best wishes to the marshal concerned.
02-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I attended the racing on Monday and Tuesday (as I have since 1972) my main interest is the classics. I was upset going home on Thursday and subsequently upon reading the 'special notices' on iomtt site. Five experienced classic riders, men in their fifties with families, are gone. I love the racing at the island , but this price is too high. Is there any other motor sport where you can go back and race in your fifties like you did in your twenties? I'm sorry, I don't know what to think now.
02-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

That should read Wednesday instead of Tuesday and four of the riders were in the classic classes. sorry for the errors, I havn't posted here before.

ps. Is John Goodal the same one I saw in the 1972 Manx?
02-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

All this from someone who updated this forum with all the info from the races. Strange!!
02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Goodall
Yes, the same John, '72 was his first Manx. The end of a sad week, I fully endorse Nick's comments.
03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've provided my email address, perhaps you could let me know what you find strange about my remarks.

I was at the Manx with my son, we were there on our Thunderbird sport. I have no history of postings on this site, but have plenty on iomtt. I hadn't posted there on this subject because no one else had raised it. I am a genuine road race fan, have been since I sat beside Ray Cowles and Dave Williams at the same breakfast table in 1972. I resent the implication that there is anything strange about what I've said.
03-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Rik, I thought you were having a go at me. I'll get my coat then......
04-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi

I would just like to say that as son and mechanic to one of the riders killed this year I resent the implications that age, and preparation could be blamed for the accidents.

In my opinion my father was in the best health that he had been in for a while when we attended this years manx. He was only 1 year older than last year when he finished second so he was hardly on a downwards spiral riding wise particularly having recently enjoyed wins and podium finishes at aberdare park.

The machine he was riding in the practice was probably in the best state of preparation it had ever been with tyres freshly fitted this season that were in good condition.

In terms of mental preparation we were at the manx to win it. However my dad NEVER pushed it in a practice he was a racing man and a practice lap time meant nothing to him.

I don't know what happened but I suspect conditions were not as he expected when he entered the blind corner. We will never know exactly wot happens but for sure he wouldn't want his death to be used as an excuse to stop the manx and he would still want to ride there if it happened to someone else.

06-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Will summed it up there, he is afterall in a position far better qualified to know how these incidents effect a family.
Age should not be bought into these discussions, as I have friends who are in their early 30's who are so fat, unfit and damn right useless that they couldn't even run for a bus, but my dad who is in his 60's is a fit as a fiddle. As long as a rider has passed the relevant medical requirements then why should he/ she not race?
Without meaning to be too blunt about the situation, 5 riders from the classics are gone this year, but that doesnt happen every year does it?? It was a bad year, upon reflection an accident can happen at every corner to every rider, this year it happened more than usual and its sad, but next year they might not be any at all??
Its a reaction/thread that appears every time we have loss of life then goes away and turns into a new thread which usually starts with " only 2 weeks to go now" , lets look forward to next year just like the riders who lost their lives would have been doing.
Regards
Russ
ps
If there are lessons to be learned then of course we do need to learn them.

10-09-2005, 01:06 PM