Health checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Health checks
Could anyone inform me and perhaps others as to what health checks are required before starting in the MGP races?
Please don't construe this question to be ageist as I am 63 and naturally do not subscribe to such unfair discrimination.
However we have to face the facts and I was wondering what standards are acceptable to race on the Mountain Course.
For example:
Blood pressure
Eyesight
Reaction time
Body mass (in Cargo's case only)
Etc.
06-09-2005, 03:14 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Health checks
I am required to have a medical every year in order to get my race licence.

So far as I know riders from Southern Ireland a medical is required every 3 years to hold a race licence.

As for ACU or overseas riders I don't know what the requiremnet is.

I'm not aware of any restriction with regard to body mass...... there was more of me this year and there will be less next year
06-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have to have a reasonably detailed medical in order to carry a national licence. Once you are over 50 you need to have a stress ECG on top of this medical every year to obtain an international licence.
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for that, perhaps what I am wondering is, are there any medical guidelines put out by the
Manx Club (or ACU for that matter) with specific figures. It would be a bit worrying if you could
just have a check over by the friendly local GP and turn up at the start line.
The ECG test is a very good idea.
06-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

06-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't for God's sake mention it to the MCUI . . . . . . . .

Will, I've raced with your dad many times at the Pre-TT Classic.

He was fit, and he was GOOD.

My deepest sympathy.
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to clear things up, a stress ECG is only required if you are over 50 and applying for an International licence, as I understand it, you dont require one every year, just for the first time. For the Manx only a National licence is required so this doesnt apply. The ACU changed their rules a few years ago, when you reached the age of 55 you were required to have a medical every year, now all you have to do is sign a medical declaration that you havent had any of the problems that they list, if you have you have to give details, in my case I have to say yes and give details to one of them, even thought Im fully recovered now. Under the age of 55 an eyesight test is required evey 3 years, I think. In my case, because Im over 55 I have to have an eyesight test every year, but they can also tell other things from this, for instance, my mate discovered that he had high blood pressure after having an eyesight test, because he had ruptured blood vessels in his eyes.
06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanx larry and ammo. wasn't sure about whether u needed ecg once or every year after 50. I always confuse the rules since for a private pilots licence i think you need them every year (wont guarantee that).

Pretty sure my dad had a medical this year for racing (wont guarantee that either). Anyway when he went to the gymn for his induction he was apparently fitter than the average 30 year old.
06-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My eldest brother was just diagnosed with diabetes after a routine eye test for new glasses,
so it is an excellent check.
However in the case of blood pressure this can be measured and recorded by any doctor.
I believe there is medical research being done on TT riders by a doctor on the Isle of Man,
does anyone know if he has published any findings yet?
06-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe that the research was also into the effects of Dehyration on riders.
I have not seen anything out yet but then was not expecting it to be published publically.
Maybe, the doc couldn't get a representative enough sample of volunteers.
07-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ammo is right, there are no medical requirement checks for riders other than those required for the licence. At the moment I have to have an eyesight check every 3 years and that's that. And the ACU don't keep a record of when your last one was it seems, as they ask you to remember it yourself and get checked if necessary.
07-09-2005, 02:36 PM