Pat Hennen/Tom Herron
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pat Hennen/Tom Herron
My PC has been down for some time, and I'm using the office system.

I've just picked up on the above topic, with postings from Chip Hennen, and I'm disappointed at their tone, and also that no-one has come to Tom's defence.

Sure he was a thrawn begger, and on one famous occasion carried a black eye courtesy of his race mechanic.

When quizzed, Tom commented "I was talking when I should have been listening"

But back to the Bishopscourt accident.

As any TT or MGP rider will tell you, the run from Rhencullen to Ballaugh is near as dammit flat out, but a lot of "straight-lining" is necessary, with the bike going from verge to verge almost the whole way.

Unless you are carrying a hell of a lot more speed than your fellow rider, you do not attempt to pass, since the manoeuvre will take too much time and distance and you will spend too long alongside, with the danger that your fellow-rider will be taken across the road towards you by the line which he has no option but to follow.

If Pat was alongside Tom as Chip describes, then I have to say that he shouldn't have been there.

They had been circulating in close company for some time with, as I understand it, Tom in front on the road, so Pat clearly would not have had the speed advantage needed at that point.

I would add that I never met Tom Herron, nor anyone involved with him, but I felt that Chip's postings were less than fair to the man.

In closing, would any TT or MGP rider care to comment on my points?

Tom L perhaps?
07-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Pat Hennen/Tom Herron
Larry you put me in a bit of a spot with my very close relationship with Tom, in particularly because of our close involvement together over John Williams fatal accident and it's aftermath.

I can only really comment as follows, I had known Tom for many years and must speak as I found. Firstly let me say I find it unfortunate that this topic has arisen after after twenty six years and just hope that Andrea and the twins are not aware of it.

I do have knowledge of certain factors that have not appeared in posts yet. I think it can be said that my record shows I never post anything in these circumstances unless I am positive about what I say.

At the time of Pat's horrific injuries and John's and Tom's fatalities they were all riding for Heron Suzuki G.B with whom I had close connections and a lot of inside knowledge.

The trade was a dog eat dog situation and a bitter Japanese sales war, particularly for publicity between Honda and Heron Suzuki at the T.T and certainly riders were under immense pressure to produce results, subsequently there were many things that some riders were compelled to do that they did not want to, no one should be in any doubt about this, my knowledge comes either direct from the horses mouth, their team mates, mechanics the Heron staff of the time.

Firstly as we all know Barry Sheene would never ride in the T.T after his first visit, I had many heated discussions with him but fully respected and understood his sentiments.

Pat Hennen had an agreement with Maurice Knight of Heron Suzuki GB, a man with whom I myself have had many blazing arguments, the agreement/contract was clear4 that Hennen would not be required to ride in the T.T, there was no point Pat was a serious GP contender and a potential 500 world champion. No points at the T.T

Mr Knight renaged on that agreement and insisted that Pat contested the T.T or he would not receive the support promised for contesting the GPs, I had that information directly from several blue chip resources in my office in Heswall five minutes from John Williams home. therefore Pat Hennan was riding in a race he probably did not want to but had no choice.

I cannot dislose the content of the conversation, but on returning from the UGP on the Monday morning after John's accident I received a phone called from Heron Suzuki, the caller I will not name, I was asked to do certain things and discuss certain matters with Margaret John's wife, John had been dead less than 48 hours.

I would dearly like to post my response but it would automatically be deleted, it has not been often that I have ever been so abusive or used such foul language to anyone in my life, lets just say that they were told to come back to me in a months time and any contact directly with Margaret would result in broken heads. Heron Suzuki GB Gerald Ronson, Peter Agg and Maurice Knight, just lowlife, only interested in sales and profit regardless of the cost or misery they caused to others.

As far as Tom is concerned, I must firstly say I would have really struggled with the days following John Williams death as would Johns wife Margaret without the support of Tom and Andrea.

Suffice to say there were very serious difficulties which to this day only Tom were I were aware of that at all costs we had to keep from Margaret and her mother, a lovely lady and a very dear friend, to avoid them further extreme distress.

Tom was incredibly supportive, I had never dealt with this sort of tagedy before, but with his advice and guidance, after funeral arrangements for the hundreds who attended from all corners had to be catered for and the subsequent fundraising auction in Heswall for Margaret and John's young son were all something that we both had a great sense of achievement and satisfaction in John's memory.

One must speak as they find. Tom was a hard road racer who had many great achievents, and I for one am proud to have known him as a close friend.

Tom and Andrea visited us on the way back from Brands to the North West, my wife argued with him over the extent of his injury and his intention to still race. I cannot remember his exact words but they were that he had got to ride. He was riding for Heron Suzuki, was he also under pressure? I do not know.

As far as Pat Hennen's accident is concerned, it is very hard to say although I was racing at the time I was not there, I did not see it, others say they did, are they sure of what they saw?

I find it difficult to understand why this has come to light so many years on, the story of the visor being "spattered by a large bug" impeding Pat's vision causiung the accident was widespread and well publicised and "common knowledge" at the time, if that was wrong why were officials not informed of the alleged incident with Tom?

As Larry say's, who made the right or wrong move, would riders of such immense experience and ability really have placed each other at risk? there is enough room to pass safely at that spot.

There have been many varied accounts of how different incidents occured over the years, one of the most lurid and varied stories I ever heard was regarding Bill Smith's accident at Ballaugh when he and Geoge Fogarty were "hard at it". One hears so many different stories, about so many different accidents it is hard to know fact from fiction.

Sadly Tom is not here to give his account or defend himself. Pat's career was ruined and he suffered terrible injuries that have been with him all these years our thoughts are always with those who suffer these kind of injuries, Alan Shepherd comes to mind it was heart breaking to see such a great rider struggle with life for so many years.

07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Tom for a very honest posting it cerainly makes one think as to what goes on behind the scenes?
07-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Pykey,

My eyes must be getting worse, looking at all my errors, I struggle a bit with long posts.

I also meant to say there was enough room at Bishopscourt to pass if a rider was carrying enough speed to pass quickly enough.

I can fully understand how Pat's brother feels, being told what he was so long after the event, anyone would feel the same under the circumstances.
07-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you, Tom. As an admirer of all three riders, like yourself, I am disappointed that a "racing accident" is being dragged through the bulletin board like this when the principals are not able to comment. What can be gained form tarnishing the memories of those heroes? I for one, will simply continue to remember all of them with respect and admiration.
Having met Tom once, my heart went out to Andrea. How must it have been to have a bright light like Tom switched off in your life?
07-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Tom - that was my main point: "if a rider was carrying enough speed to pass safely enough".

I cannot believe that those two would have had a sufficient speed differential, in the circumstances.

Enough - I only raised it because the tone of the original postings seemed to me unfair to Tom.

Can we leave it there?
07-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Larry: As a Manx GP rider, yes I understand what you are saying about this section, being flat out going from side to side and unless you have sufficent speed to overtake. I certainly wouldn't do it and have stayed behind several times for this reason. My own safety and others.

I only said it was interesting to hear how it happened as I hadn't known before. Lets hope that
other riders learn from this accidents.
Let them RIP.
07-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sadly those who knew them well grieved more for those left behind because we saw their pain and suffering for years after, both Andrea and Margaret were and I am sure still are lovely people.

So cruel that Margaret should also lose two year old Nicholas from meningitis less than a year later during the following T.T week.

I will never forget and it always chokes me to remember her sobbing her heart out and saying to me months later. "What have I ever done to make God hate me so much".

Life's short, shorter for some than others.
07-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are absolutely right Larry. It is unfortunate this issue arose so long after the event.
07-09-2005, 06:53 PM