Was it all a dream?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was it all a dream?
Chap at work, having seen the TT on tele, asked me what is was like, as he knew that I'd been there. Told him about all the usual stuff then went on to tell him a couple of things that have stayed in my mind over the years. One of which was seeing (and hearing) SMB Mike on the MV, dressed in civies (no helmet, sunglasses, thinning hair and conk) waiting with other cars and bikes at the junction of Douglas prom and the Broadway until the Policeman on traffic duty let then all go.

After I told him this, I got to thinking, did it actually happen? Why would he have been there? Where was he going?
09-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Was it all a dream?
These are the things that used to happen in the old days, so it probably wasn't a dream !

10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, that's perfectly likely. He would have been going along the prom, then up either Summerhill Road or Broadway, or along Peel Road. The ultimate destination either Mylchreests for the weigh-in (mostlikely), or the Grandstand/Pits...for that he would probably havge been wearing leathers.
Riders left their bikes overnight in Mylchreests before races, after scrutineering. More details from Bill S (oops, in Canada on yet another holiday) Elwyn or riders from that era.
I used to love the weighing in nights at the Manx in the 70s. I could get photographs of riders, helmetless, with their bikes, and of mechanics etc. They mean so much more now than action shots.
10-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

10-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the 1967 M.C.N publication 'GRAND PRIX' there is a photo of Mike in shirt sleeves & wearing sunglasses overtaking a Douglas Corporation bus on the prom on the MV on his way to the weigh in!-so it wasnt a dream
11-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was common for riders to ride their machines to the grandstand for practice, weigh in and races, always a good way to get the motor warm and the oil circulating.

All manner of machines could be seen and heard going along the prom for early morning and evening practice, noticeably the MVs were always ridden from the Douglas Bay to the start.

I always rode a bike up to the grandstand and someone else bought the Bedford or Thames. It was also a fairly common sight to see bikes being fired up and ridden to the digs from the boat, a lot of riders who had not got or could not afford a van pushed their machines on at Liverpool.

11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aww and then you got soaked in your race too, Larry!!! Imagine a race starting today in such conditions endured by the riders in the 1978 Newcomers Manx! My mate Donal Hughes from Belfast rode in that race Larry--another former Aermacchi man.

And yes, Elwyn, I also have that magazine and photo. Mike on the MV in T-shirt and no helmet passing one of the old yellow Douglas Corporation buses, opposite Port Jack Chippy, probably just come from the legendary Douglas Bay or Majestic workshops.

11-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,you describe it exactly as it was especially of interest was leaving the van in Liverpool,some of these used to park at the Pierhead, right in front of the big building on the public highway.Can you imagine that today.
On a similar note,in 1965 I took 2 bikes to the Southern100 leaving van in Liverpool and pushing onto boat.I had made arrangements to Garage the bikes at the back of the George Hotel but staying with my normal landlady in Douglas.On arrival I enquired of the police if they could advise me of anyone who could transport the bikes to Castletown.Their answer was Why! do'nt they run.When I replied that they were not even registered let alone taxed/insured they said not to worry just be carefull,no speeding and keep the noise down but its ok to ride them,so we did me on one my mechanic on the other.Those were the days.
11-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hav got great picture and memory of ,Florian Camathius pushing Gilera outfit along Lloch prom on way to boat.
15-09-2005, 10:36 PM