Hislop Memorial vandalised
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hislop Memorial vandalised
From Manx Radio site
The Steve Hislop memorial in Onchan has been damaged by vandals.

A light which stands about two feet from the ground has been kicked off its base.

Police say the criminal damage was committed during the hours of darkness, between last Friday and yesterday (Wednesday).

The tribute to the 11 time TT winner and twice British Superbike Champion was unveiled in June.

He died in a helicopter crash over two years ago.
20-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hislop Memorial vandalised
Oh this is disgusting....Our sympathy to Kelly, the lads and his Mum.

Even though it is the light and not Steves statue does not make this mindless vandalism any different to the painting of Joeys statue in Ballamoney, grave stones upturned, or memorials covered in graffiti.

It is happening almost everywhere.

This world is lacking any discipline or respect.

We hope the light will be repaired soon.........

20-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bring back the birch i say !
20-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just let me get at them! Or worse (better), Mary...
20-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Death is the only Language they understand.Kill them.Kill them now.
20-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, dear...I think we are maybe getting this a bit out of proportion!!
20-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh Stella, I think you are being a bit tough (I don't think!!). Wouldn't you just love to get them down a back alley and...... I'm currently looking at a fabulous pic my friend sent me of him and the statue which looks fabulous. Obviously the light was a few feet away as I cannot find it in the photo. Isn't it a sad state of affairs when we 'expect' these horrible things to happen.
20-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes jan i know.
On second thoughts prior to the birch I reckon they should be shown a dvd of Steve to show them just what a Hero he was, what he achieved in his life and just how sick they are that they could stoop so low as to desecrate the area that everyone that knew him, and those that didn`t held in such high estimation.
If i was them i`d be beggin to get the birch after that...
20-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The great thing about the birch was that it left no physical scars but the mental scars lasted a life time and served as a reminder.

The EU and the UK government have a lot to answer for.
20-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very sad when this sort of thing happens , i live about one minute walking away from Hizzys statue , there was a book of condolence left in a plastic box under statue for quiet a long time after the unveiling , remember my wife and i at statue one evening when we both signed book & thinking to myself how nice that it was left there for people to read & sign & had not been touched . This incident i feel has probably been done by young kids who probably dont know any better . Birching is a good idea & is a deterrent know of one or two have had it & it certainly made them think twice .
20-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hislop Memorial
Remember Steve...............

<A HREF="http://www.ttsuperbikes.com/pagetwo.htm">http://www.ttsuperbikes.com/pagetwo.htm</A>
21-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This IS very sad event, but probably pales compared to some of the gross acts these young scum carry out. The day I heard that a frail old lady was raped in a churchyard, I knew they couldnt sink much lower.
I struggle sometimes to "turn the other cheek"
Part of me says that if these people dont wish to be a part of our society, then we should oblige and help them elave it.
Then, common sense prevails (I think!)
In this case, we will all just ignore what happened to the light, comforted by the fact that they are powerless to remove or even slightly damage, the real memorial to Steve, our memories....
There, I feel better now.....

Mike
MV
21-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, Mike. As someone who had great reservations about the statues idea in the first place, because I was sure Steve would have hated it...he hated being "famous"..but have really loved them since I saw them, I agree with you. they are just things, not people. We knew him, and all have our own memories of him. noone can vandalise those. Perhaps these sad youngsters have no such heroes or involvement.
21-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there a connection?
21-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regarding a lack of hero`s or involvement ?

Yes i totally think it is, to be honest.

For the last couple of years, have had a lot to do with the youngsters competing in the aprilia superteens at the MRO meetings.Great kids who have learned a sense of value,achievement no matter where they finnish, made good friends and know how to conduct themselves with everyone around them. Many have graduated from the mini-moto scene too.

Now i`m not saying that its just motorcycle racing but i truly think it helps if parents involve themselves as a family in a hobby be it football, karting, swimming... ???? You name it.

I really believe thats where the kids get the grounding that helps make them better people.
there are a lot of great kids out there sadly at times, its just the baduns ! we get to hear about.

There does come a time tho where kids have to make their own decisions and accept the responsibility for them also.

Rant over !

cheers,
Stella
21-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I havnt any kids but Stella you are so right in you comments, the problem stems from their upbringing.
21-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was down at Hizzys statue this evening when me & the missus where out walking the dog , saw the damage , a couple of the lights kicked over , not very nice , spent a couple of minutes with Steve , he looked a bit forlorn mind you it was pouring down & we all know his thought on the rain . It is still a warm place to be even on a horrible evening like this one very humbling to be stood next to the great mans statue . Never forgotten .
21-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Shaun, i for one really appreciate this post tonight, and i know that many others will too.

cheers,
Stella
21-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having seen both statues, they are both in brilliant settings. I'm not sure, but he may have got his feet wet in Hawick, as the park is right by the banks of the Teviot, which flooded massively last week. There he is in the company of his hero, Jimmy Guthrie. That statue seems smaller, because it is not on such a high plinth.
The Isle of Man statue is in the most magnificent place, with a commanding view over the bay, so he can watch the Honda team arrive off the boat!
21-10-2005, 10:18 PM