National speed liimit
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
National speed liimit
I see from IOM online that the topic is back on the agenda?
That didnt take long, did it?!

Mike
01-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Surprising how quickly new laws can be passed when the police, various road safety groups,and general "do gooders" get their heads together.There is no doubt that there will be a further decline in visitors to thr TT if (when) this goes ahead.
It is high time that the law was tightened up to restrict newly qualified,young drivers to small capacity cars. It is outrageous that a 17 year old can drive dad's Porsche the day he or she passes their test.They are in control(!) of a lethal weapon with a high powered sports car.Why should motorcyclists be the only road users to have these restrictions?
I wonder if the powers that be have ever really considered this,or is it that the people who can afford these cars have control over the government too?
Why can't proven experienced drivers/riders carry some kind of identification plate which would allow them to drive faster than the inexperienced? There is such a vast difference in driving abilities, and surely it is this fact which should be addressed,with re-testing and eyesight tests.People also need to be taught how to drive in the dark and in poor weather.Most of them don't even know how to dip their headlights,and they think that lighting up on a rainy day will drain their batteries! Speed is only a contributory factor and unfortunately 20mph is too fast for some. Evil
01-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Find Reply
Harry Offline

Threads: 25
National Speed Limit
Good points, Hilary. My nephew told me that in Ontario, Canada licences are graduated. A new driver/rider is restricted to slower roads, not allowed to drive on highways and can drive in daylight only. In stages a driver is allowed to drive on the faster roads and at night. There are also strong driver education classes in schools. Traffic accidents - often single car vehicle accidents are on of the leading causes of teen deaths. A little education could save a lot of lives. Then you have the sensitive issue of of older drivers whose eyesight and reflexes make them a hazard to themselves and others. The issue of speed is a separate one. There are drivers who are unsafe at any speed - even in parking lots LOL! I saw one of those on Saturday - He hit another car at about 10 mph!
01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

It has to be a sensitive issue when an elderly driver insists they have been driving for 60 years without an accident.Unfortunately it has to be said it is often more luck than judgement.More experienced drivers tend to steer clear of them when they are wandering about aimlessly.I suppose the law of averages means that before long, such road users who have never had to take a test,will have passed on, so theoretically, everyone should be competent :?
I often watch the youngsters driving about,tyres squeeling,music deafening all in the street outside , and I wonder why the driving examiners are unable to see through these young morons when they issue them with pass certificates.Ability alone is not enough.
We hear so much about improvements to "dangerous" roads. It is NEVER the road which is the problem,only the drivers who use them.
How does the system work in Ontario? Are there less fatalities?
It seems to me that the IoM government simply wants to be seen to be taking action without making a really honest study of safety.They should not be influenced by the UK or the media.
02-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

The driving test was introduced in 1937 so the persons you are refering to as not having passed a test will now be at least 85 years old,although many elderly people of this age have passed a test as few could afford a vehicle in 1937.I have 2 elderly parents both 86, they live in a remote area, and their cars are their only means of transport.Ok they drive slow but are sensible,don't use motorways or fast duel carriage ways but mainly country lanes.Ask any insurance company where the biggest risk of bad driving is and I think the answer would be somewhat different to the picture painted here
02-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Find Reply
Harry Offline

Threads: 25
speed limits and such
Hilary - Accidents have been reduced in Ontario since the plan was introduced. But, perhaps the most significant effect is psychological - a reminder that driving is serious business and a responsiblility. I agree with you about the loud music that would drown out a horn or just disctract the driver. And what about cell phone use? Sometimes we will see an item on the news about a woman being ticketed for applying eye makeup while driving or a man shaving while driving along! Some drivers will turn completely around to pay attention to someone or something in the back seat while at speed ! amazing!

Arthur - I certainly empathize with the problem of elderly people being reliant on their own cars to get around. I don't think anyone is suggesting that anyone's permit should be revoked solely because of age. When people realize that they may not be as quick or see as well as they did when they are younger they usually modify their driving habits themselves - not driving on the fastest roads or at night as your parents have done. Anyone who works with the elderly knows that telling someone that they really shouldn't be driving is a very difficult thing to do. It strikes at the heart of someone's independence. Last year we lost a neighbour who was 90 and sharp as a tack. But, one day he made a turn across oncoming traffic, and froze, stopping in the midst of the turn. The other driver couldn't stop. Our friend died the next day in hospital the other driver survived with injuries. I think these things are best left to families and doctors to help decide on an individual basis. What do you think?
There are also medical conditions and drugs that can affect the ability of anyone to drive at any age. So what's the answer? Insurance discounts if you are voluntarily retested? Better driver education in schools? Insurance discounts for driver refresher courses taken later in life?
Road fatalities are a terrible problem. But, what's the answer?
02-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

My parents are both well into their eighties,and my mother gave up driving long ago,after running off the road into a wall,thankfully without either injury to herself or a third party.She took 5 attempts at passing her test and has always been paranoid about driving at over 40mph!Doesn't say much for real competence does it? Dad,however, was a fighter pilot and has always liked to get a move on! He is still a very good driver, who takes the utmost care of his eyesight.
When the driving test was first introduced there was so little traffic on the roads so there can be little comparison with today's mayhem.True,the test is tougher, but how many drivers keep up to date with the Highway Code?
I certainly don't agree that age makes safe. I am forever having problems with the older generation being totally unable to negotiate a roundabout correctly,because they were never taught how. Try going straight ahead on a motorcycle,from the nearside lane,as is correct,and see how many times you are carved up by the old guy wanting to do the same---from the offside lane!!.They don't even know it is wrong!.
I would hate to be the one to have to tell my dad his driving days were over,but I know he is sensible enough to make that decision himself.
Driving has become a way of life to many of us and those of us who wish to carry on should not be afraid to go back to school occasionally.
02-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Old and young
Its probably cos I am a) an occasional biker and b) now 63, that I see the greater danger on the roads coming from the younger (and NOT so young) drivers who want to drive dangerously fast EVERYWHERE. Good ness knows I like to get a move on, on the motorways, but not down country lanes or through housing estates!
Boring old fart?
Perhaps...

Mike
03-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Sensible attitude Mike. Something I never do is exceed the speed limits in built up areas.I have the utmost respect for areas where people live, as do their pets.We live out in the sticks and it really annoys me to see drivers doing 40-50mph through our village and the same when they reach the 60mph main road.There is nothing to be gained speeding in such areas,but up on the Mountain road,well,just mind the sheep!
You are wasting your time if you try to protect the public from themselves
:?
03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Find Reply