Murrays museum
Anonymous
Unregistered

Murrays museum
Does anyone know as to the legal situation regarding all the items that were donated to the Murrays Museum because i reckon we are talking BIG MONEY, and all the items i think were donated in good faith and not to be auctioned off.
08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

If something was donated...given freely..., then it belongs to the Museum, and hence to Mr Murray, who, over the years has had the care and maintenance of the Museum and all the stuff in it, at considerable cost, and, I suspect, not a lot of profit from it.
If people didn't want him to keep/sell or otherwise dispose of the items, they should have lent them, with a contract saying for how long etc etc.
To be honest, as someone who has donated more than one item to people, I think those things are his.
Mr Murray wants to retire now, and I wish him well.
08-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Helen i reckon you could be right in what you say all i wanted to know legally were do the donors stand?
09-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Harry Offline

Threads: 25
donors' rights
Helen is right, as usual ! Unless you have something in writing when you make your donation you have no rights. This is especially upsetting when something is given in memory of someone or because you wanted it to be seen by the public in a certain place. Someone might have given an item of memorabilia to Murray's because they thought that it would be most appreciated on the Isle of Man and where they might also be able to visit it themselves.

I have friends who have a large and historic ship model that they want to donate to a museum near their home. They no longer want the responsibility of it. They also want to be able to take their grandchildren to see it and see that it was a gift of the whole family to the museum. Right now they are negotiating with the museum because the curator wants to keep the right to sell it or trade it for something 'better'.

The larger museums now have contracts which give them the right to sell, trade or otherwise dispose of your gift. But, Murray's was the opposite of large museum. It was the passion of one man who at considerable expense kept it going year after year. I think we need to be understanding of his situation. But, I still wish it had been liquidated in a slower way allowing for the possibility of the collection to have been kept intact - preferably on the Isle of Man.
09-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Harry you would have thought with all the money on the IOM something more could have been arranged? to me the IOM is famous for 2 things KIPPERS and M/CYCLE RACING.
10-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Harry Offline

Murray's and tourism
Pykey - I agree with you . In addition to the money that seems to be available to promote the IOM as a tourist destination there are also fans around the world who would contribute to keeping the collection intact. Wasn't there talk some years ago about a TT Museum? IF they were serious about a museum they would never have let this collection get away. Murray's collection would make a superb centrepiece for a museum and motorcycle racing hall of fame. That is IF 'the powers that be' want it. I think that is the central question - who wants it and who doesn't.

Arthur - In no way did intend my comments as criticisms of Mr. Cretney. I thought that the brochure was well done and actually, quite lavish. In a way that makes it worse. Out of 36 pages you would think that the TT, Manx and Southern 100 which provide unique tourist attractions for almost 6 weeks would deserve at least a full page. That's all I was suggesting - 1 page out of 36. What's that ? 3 % of the space ? Surely the three events bring in more than 3 % of the tourists?

Cheers, Harry
11-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Harry well written although i dont visit the TT these days it brings back fantastic memories and you would have thought that the museum closure would have been discussed in the House of Keys?
11-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Harry Offline

House of Keys
Pykey - that's a very good point. Does anyone know if there was any official discussion of the fate of Murray's ?
Cheers, Harry
12-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Quote from correspondence with David Cretney:

"Already some contents have been sold but after I raised the matter at Council of Ministers it was agreed that we meet Mr Murray to discuss any relevant TT or MGP items he may wish to sell.

The building is owned by Department of Agriculture and I hope we may be able to do something in it for the future"
13-11-2005, 08:24 AM