The ACU Reply 5-7 days late!!!!!
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

Just to add to my previous post, and going back to another aspect of the 'TT Course Licence' conditions. With at least 3 meetings having to have been completed within the specified time this year, and 6 next year, the short-circuits of the UK, Ireland and the Isle of Man are going to be full of riders who have no wish to be there, and who will just be 'going through the motions' in order to get the required signatures on their licence. Because neither the ACU nor anyone else has actually specified what 'satisfactorily completing a meeting' means, people are naturally assuming that simply finishing a race is what counts.

So the short circuits are going to have riders who have no desire whatsoever to be there, simply riding round steadily at the back of the field to make sure they get their required finish without falling off or breaking down. This has already happened - didn't John Goodall do a meeting recently where he went out on his classic bike in a Superbike or Supersport race. If my memory serves me well, a certain Garry Dickinson has been more than a little outspoken on these boards about riders coasting round at the back of the field getting in the way of the fast ones at the front - yet this is precisely the sort of rider that this 'TT Licence' is going to be forcing onto the short circuits in droves. Safety??
06-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Your "re-qualification" idea is a good one, David, but do you really think that the "powers that be" -- insert here such names as suit your own particular conspiracy theory -- will let the Manx run long enough to benefit :?:

All I can say is that I made my own decision not to go back to the Mountain - I'm very pleased that the decision wasn't made for me :wink:

On balance, however, -- Sad
07-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

David, check out my report on tt.com about John Goodall. Regarding TT riders returning to the MGP, I posted a suggestion along those lines on mgp.com, specifically suggesting they be allowed into the 250 class to maintain it's interest. It wasn't universally popular with the MGP riders! However, the goal posts have moved since then and for the MGP to survive, maybe this is an answer.
07-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Website Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30

A friend of mine spoke to the ACU re competing satisfactory, and the strong impression he got was that wobbling round at the back will not be enough. The riders overall performance will be looked at. The higher you finish the better your chances will be to get the TT licence
07-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

First off can I request people NOT to speculate on what the ACU may or may not regard as a satisfactory performance. There may be many reasons why somebody didn't turn in good performances, a high calibre of event perhaps or mechanical problems or a spill that only gave one race finish at a meeting. With pressure to achieve the required number of meetings the last thing we want is any suggestion that anything other than finishes may not be acceptable. Remember, by the ACU's own words they want riders to have current riding experience before tackling the mountain course - nothing in it about having to be short-circuit superstars. Let's not give them any more excuses to cut down entry lists further.

Secondly in response to David's point about TT riders returning to the Manx I am not a fan. I believe entries are high this year because many people see it as the last time they can, or are prepared to, jump through the ACU's hoops to get the course licence. Three races is not a big issue, six will be for many people. In the future I suspect we will see a big drop in entries and fewer refusals for the TT. Allowing refused TT riders into the Manx this year could crowd out Manx regulars one year and dissuade them from coming back in 2007, leading to still worse shortages of entries. People know the score at present, if they want to ride the TT the door at the Manx should remain closed to them, with the exception of the classic classes where many former TT riders already regularly ride. Allowing them back into the 'main events' would deplete the classics still further and dissuade up and coming riders who did want to move on to the TT.

I suppose you could argue that swelling the ranks of the riders at the Manx would be a good thing but depending on the ACU's point of view on the continuation of the event you may not find they agree either.
07-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

In therory David your idea of an amnesty is a good one however I can see a problem.
If such a move is allowed then many Manx regulars will be squeezed out of the Manx. Every year the Manx is oversubscribed with more entries than there are rides available.
Unless of course the Classic races are gone then there could be a race for ex TT riders instead???
07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

First time riders should be given first preference for a start in the Manx as it has always been the Manx it the training ground for the TT.
Only if the entry lists were not full should ex TT riders be invited back on some sort of waiting list basis.
With the full entry lists for both the TT and the MGP it rather begs the question as to why the number of races are being reduced instead of increased at these very popular meetings?
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

TT riders are already eligible to do the Manx, in the Classic races.
07-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

He who dislikes the cat,is himself a longtail
07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Qualify 2007 ?
I have just heard from a certain "sauce" that riders can qualify in 2007 if they go on three different bus trips twice round the course, each with a different commentator who MUST have raced in this years (2006) TT...........

Special emphasis will be placed on the re-designed sections especially Windy Bend !!

The "sauce" is a bottle of O'Kells !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
08-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Website Find Reply