Another Statue
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Another Statue
It is reported that Tony Jefferies is exploring the possibility of having a statue or memorial erected to his son David on the Isle of Man.

Of all people, David truly deserves a lasting recognition of his TT wins and commitment in what was unfortunately a relatively short career.

However, we only see these dedications while we are at the TT so where best would a statue be erected in lasting memory??

Steve Hislop has a marvellous site for his statue but he lived in Onchan.

Perhaps Davids should be in Crosby Village.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I think Crosby is probably the best spot on the island.
However, some might say that his statue ought to be in Yorkshire.
Scarboro for instance.

MV
04-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

My worry about statues around the circuit is the safety angle; we know of accidents that have happened when fans stop to pay their respects at incident sites.
If such tributes, statues, plaques were to be gathered at a 'safe' site, be it the Bungalow, Grandstand area etc. it would be a lot safer.
05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

A museum and memorial garden is whats needed and located in a safe place
05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

I totally agree with Colin (FC). I think that in the year coming up to the 2007 celebrations that a museum should be something to think about. When you think about the Isle of Man a few things sping to mind, kippers, the Laxey Wheel but the first one that anyone mentions, no matter where you go in the world is the IOM TT Races. A museum with tributes to ALL of the riders who have competed here who have lost their lives either on the course or else where. I really don't think that there should be any distinction for any rider whether he was great or not, to me anyone who takes on the TT course deverses a mention.

If the TT isn't apart of manx heritage then can someone please tell me what is? Come on MNH get something in place please.......
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
garden and museum
Erm, so now the site of the Murrays Museum is empty and we have a statue of Joey Dunlop there already...

Would this not be an ideal site or would it end up looking like Easter Island ??

Surely we could have a sensible place where people could get together to remember those who have passed on..............with a nice garden and a few tasteful statues and plaques and somewhere off road where we could park without causing accidents.

Why not the existing building up near/at the bungalow ??

Or is there no option with regard to Murrays Ex-Museum already there??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Website Find Reply
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27

There is already a wall in place in Douglas Borough Cemetry accross from the Grandstand was there last week , it has quiet a few plaques with names & small epitaphs of fallen riders there , this is looked after by Wyn Evans & all the riders names here are sanctioned by there families , noticed DJs there . There is a bench where you can sit & reflect your own thoughts . So a memorial garden is uneccessary .
05-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Find Reply