Life's a big risk
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Life's a big risk
The New Year has got off to a pretty poor start for me with two deaths close to me and my family. I stood today at the funeral for a lovely lady who died Christmas Eve after a long illness aged 49. Earlier in the day, my pal at the farm next door came round to tell me that his son had died yesterday, a tragic accident with a faulty gas fire, age 37. He was a smashing lad, who was just getting his life on track
Can you imagine what's been going through my mind today, with all the issues we're going through at present?
I bet you all can. Look we've all probably been close to a tragedy of some sort in our lives, and, yes, you've guessed, today's events took me to our beloved Island.
I'm not wanting to cheapen each life that is lost over there,by insinuating that they don't matter,of course they matter, but is there any point to our existence if we DON'T take risks? Not that we shouldn't look at the organisation at all times, if things go wrong, in order to take stock of issues, but look guys and gals, do you see what I'm getting at? Are we moving towards a right old nanby mamby state, where all risk is removed, so the greatest danger we all face is an inefficient gas fire, or a miserable demise through disease?
Give me the challenge of the Mountain Course ANY time, even if our wonderful marshals be occasionally flawed, even if the standard of riding is imperfect, and the preparation of my bike, and anyone else's is less than 100%. I'll take the risk because NOTHING above the speed of chess can be made safe. I love that Island, and I will do anything I possibly can to preserve racing there.
I'm sure I've rattled a few feathers with my irresponsible talk, but, hell, I feel like rattling a few feathers tonight!!
Before you jump onto your computerised quills,I DID say that we should take stock if mistakes are made!! We should ALWAYS make efforts to improve safety, so long as they are reasonalble and workable.I'm just concerned that we are having laws made for us by folk that have never sat their arses on a race bike, but obviously know best.
Tonight I'm in the right mood to ditch the golf clubs, and write off for my racing licence!
05-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Once again,you have come up trumps,Nick and I defy anybody to disagree with your thoughts.What a sad way to end a year and start a new one, but you aren't going to say gas fires should be banned are you?
I could go on and on about road safety in general and the way in which the authorities attempt to slow us down and make roads and vehicles "safer", but there will always be some of us who are prepared to live our lives as we wish and not how "they" tell us we should.That is the fundamental difference between doers and wannabees.
05-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Well said Nick. I agree completely with all of that and Hilarys comments, too.
Your previous pieces, including the one about equestrien events have all been gems. More power to your elbow.
But I hope you will stick to the golf now.
That was not menat to be a challenge!

I am also following wha has been said elsewhere, by TJ.
There is a lot of food for thought for all of us right now.

My brief spell racing at club level ended in me falling off at the Gooseneck at Cawell in 1980. The injuries I recieved, could have been far worse.
However, I am starting to get further peoblems now (thats down to age, as well as the damage!)
But do I regret having a "dabble?" Not in the slightest.
I consider it to have been a highlight of my life.
Of course, I cant compare mysef to any of you heroes( and I use the word advisedly) ...... (oo,and heriones!) who compete on that wonderful strip of tarmac we know as the Mountain Course. BUT, and its a big but, I can understand WHY you do it, slightly better than had I not "dabbled" myself.

Namby pamby and nanny state attitudes are not what so many of us want.

However, what we DO need is sensible dialogue between interested parties as to the future running of the wonderful races on the Island.

I read what so many have to say on here and can see that we have some wonderful people involed. Nick being one of the better examples.

Let us all pul together and pray that common sense will prevail.

A happy new (racing) year to everyone!

Mike
MV
05-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Well said Nick. Sorry to hear of your sadness. It's getting to the stage when all we will be able to do in the future is sit inside our 'safe' houses watching the telly. The Fun Police are denying us the way of life we have always considered our right. So many activities in Australia are being controlled by the authorities, mainly, I think because of litigation fears.
05-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Why not Nick? throw the clubs away, I am sure a mutual friend from from Oswestry could get you tooled up with some competitive iron.

We have to much P.C and namby pamby nowadays.

Reflect on this, I have a very close friend, who in 1941 at 20 years of age after two yeares in the WAAF was drafted to the ATA which transported combat aircraft during the war, fighters, bombers etc, she was one of 'hush, hush' 1,600 female pilots in the 'Air Transport Auxillary' who flew aircraft from the factories and repair centres such as Vickers, Castle Bromwhich tp keep the RAF, FAA and USAF going.

Everything you could imagine Spitfires Hurricanes, Seafires, Lancasters etc and later in the war B17s and P54 Thunderbolts.

Because Churchill did not want Gerry to know we were so short of pilots that we had women flying aircraft to and from combat stations, they had to, at all times maintain strict radio silence, even if they came under attack, and they were forbidden from engaging or returning fire but could only run for it in case they were identified as women.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
06-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
our respect Nick
When you do contribute to the website, your contributions are always full of truth and sensibility.

I personally saw the "gravedigger wave his spade" this Xmas and the experience made life all the more precious. It could have gone either way.

I would like to remind any aeroplane-minded fans that yesterday (5th) was the day that Amy Johnson crashed into the Thames Estuary while delivering an aircraft in 1941.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Website Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Funny you should bring that up Ian, it was exactly the death of Amy Johnson that this person, (who served with Amy and new her well), mentioned yesterday that prompted my post.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Find Reply
jasjas Offline

Life's a risk
You probably know this, but just in case not, Amy Johnson planted a tree in Glen Helen - just near the pub and there is plaque by it.
07-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Can you tell us what she was doing in the IoM?
07-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Planting a tree !
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
07-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Website Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

DOH !
08-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Thank you Charlie.That is all I wanted to know.It is now quite obvious that Amy was a keen gardener,and I wonder if the rest of the world is aware of this fact. Lol Lol Lol Lol
08-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Hilary M Offline

Good morning Helen,and thank you.That was a quick Google search.Very interesting.So,you see Charlie,she was really in the IoM having free lunches,what's new? Lol :wink:
08-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Only joking Hilary, only joking ! It made my wife laugh, hope you did to.

I noticed in Helen's posting, Amy missed Ronaldsway, a pity when they she and her husband were stopping at The Derby Haven.

I presume there wasn't a big enough space for her to PARK!

Charlie
08-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Oi! Charlie boy...stop trying to divide our team!
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
charlie hulse Offline

I'm joking honest There's that much serious stuff going on at the moment this is a bit of light relief.

Some people think I have a sarcastic Sense of Humour........ me No!

"I like to think that it I have acute awarness of irony"
08-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Yes, i've hinted as much in my welcome message this morning...could do with a right good night out with you lot, and a good laugh.
08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

burns night beckons?????????????????????????? i'll see if i can get the time off work :wink:
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
08-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Great idea, ade...get yourself up here and we'll organise a night out with Stella etc. Pykey...you up for it?
08-01-2006, 08:05 PM