Dunlop Clock rebuild ?
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Dunlop Clock rebuild ?
Are there plans afoot to re-create the famous Dunlop Clock Tower that graced the scoreboard for many years for the 2007 TT ?

How much would it cost ?? Could it be multi-sponsored ??

It would be nice to have "it" back for the 2007 TT for us nostalgios who would like to see some of the Island as we knew it over the years.

I have just received a 1926 book of the Isle of Man for my collection (it was the year of my Dads first visit, I think) and it is surprising how much lasted up until the 60s then completely disappeared.

This book has the original Dougie Bay hotel, the sea terminal with the clock tower, the promenades as they were in 1926, Douglas Head, the glens and railways (and as they remained in 1947 when I first laid foot on manx soil...)

I know it is impossible to keep things as they were but there are some things which would help us the remember days gone by and show the fans of today what things were like..No, I do not expect Quarry Bends to have trees again but things like the Dunlop Tower would be great, at fairly low, sponsored cost.

Could we for once and once only have a "weigh in" again and a round the barrels warm-up ??

Nostalgia is a wonderful frame of mind and something which comes to oldies like me, as one riffles through packs of souvenirs as I do !!

Any thoughts please ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

which tower ??
Someone has just communicated with me to ask "which Dunlop tower ?" and "was it tyres or Joey ?"

Point made I feel..........!

Herewith Pickie

http://www.bbhmg.com/duntow.htm
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Harry Offline

Threads: 25
Thanks for the great picture!
Thanks for the great picture, Ian. The tower needs to be rebuilt. As you suggested, I am sure that multiple sponsors would participate. Any idea of what it might cost?
Cheers,
Harry
05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

cost
I have actually contacted the retiring Mr Cretney and am now awaiting a positive reply...

It could double as Cretney Tower to remind us of the work he has done for the TT .....

It must be easy to recreate this scaffolding-based tower for the TT period, surely......... (Don't call me Shirley)
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

I know there are plans to have a giant screen opposite the grandstand with a live TV feed. What I don't know is if it is for 2006 or as seems more likely the Centenary in 2007 ROFL!
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
06-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Website Find Reply