Phil Read
moog1 Offline

Threads: 7
Phil Read
Phil is appearing in Bideford North Devon next Friday evening at the Pollyfield Centre as a guest of the North Devon Motorcycle Club, and will be joined by North Devonian James Buckingham of BSB. Apparently he is coming over from his home in Belgium especially
11-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Don't all rush at once, and leave your baseball bats at home.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Phill who?
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

i'm afraid to say, but if he was appearing at the bottom of our garden i'd close the curtains :roll:
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

A wasted talent if ever there was one, a man of awesome talent, the only privateer to win not one but two world championships.

You had to be out there with him to appreciate just how good he was, credit where credit is due.

Sadly a flawed and arrogant personality who made few friends and a lot of enemies. a bit of humility like Mike, Joey and many others would not have gone amiss and given him a legacy as one of the true greats of the TT and GPs.

I could not be arsed passing the time of day with him and he certainly not with the likes of me who would be of no use to him.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3

He actually lives in North Devon, so it won't be a long trek for him.

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Website Find Reply
GarryD Offline

Threads: 17

A few years ago I approached Phil and asked if there was any chance he could assist with any items for an auction. He supplied numerous items like caps, photos cds etc and signed the items, in fact he was the one who contributed the most too the cause. I managed to catch up with him later that year at scarborough, and again he was very approachable and easy to chat away too.

He is one of the all time greats for christs sake, he just spoke his mind and didn't kiss bottom's and that does not always go down well. Good on you Phil, pity they wasn't more like you in the sport these days.
Motor cycling, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are childrens games played by adults.
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Find Reply
Phil Wain Offline

Threads: 5

Well said Garry D, couldn't agree with you more - Phil is one of the true legends of British motorcycle racing
11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
moog1 Offline

Threads: 7

Sport-Pics Wrote:He actually lives in North Devon, so it won't be a long trek for him.

Rusty

How do you know that he lives in North Devon? The local paper says he is coming over from Belgium? Does he still have connections with Fabienne Migout?
12-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Find Reply
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27

Agree with you Garry & Phil , i phoned Phil a number of years ago now to help with Phil Hogg Rescue Unit Auction , he was great , i have had helmets off him signed pictures , even a signed book adevert with his autograph Dukes & other riders on it , i have spoken to him quiet a few times on the phone & he has reminisced about races in bygone years , sure he speaks his mind & has said things which may upset one or two , but Hizzy was the same , he spoke his mind to his own detriment some times . Phil came back here in 77 & still had what it takes & his race against Hailwood was like turning the clock back . Fantastic racer who does not get the credit he desrves .
12-02-2006, 01:40 AM
Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

moog1 Wrote:[quote="Sport-Pics"]He actually lives in North Devon, so it won't be a long trek for him.

Rusty

How do you know that he lives in North Devon? The local paper says he is coming over from Belgium? Does he still have connections with Fabienne Migout

Phill Read actually lives in Dulverton in Somerset.
12-02-2006, 02:56 AM
Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3

Which is on the North Devon / Somerset border. Bit closer than Belgium!

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
12-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Phil who? yes we have memories as the marshals who threatened to strike when he made his return after slating the TT, at least Sheene stayed away.
12-02-2006, 10:54 AM
GarryD Offline

Sheene may well have stayed away, but he did turn the knife at every given oppurtunity. As a matter of interest why in the end didn't the marshall's strike ? possibly a talker's and do'ers senario.
Motor cycling, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are childrens games played by adults.
13-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
phil read
Phil is in the record and results books showing that he took on the TT course and overcame all odds to be a winner.

He gave his honest, considered opinions which didn't go down with everybody at the time.

However, I still feel that his opinions have done good for the TT since people took notice and worked on the criticisms.

He deserves a much better profile......................
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
13-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I'm afraid all my personal experience of him has been atrocious. He behaved like a complete arrogant boor, with no manners or consideration for men, women or kids who wanted to talk to him. Like Ade, I wouldn't cross the street to see him again..twice was enough!
13-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Enough said Helen eh? some people have short memories Read only came back when the regulars such as Charlie, JG, and others raced because they loved the circuit and wern,t GREEDY
14-02-2006, 10:35 AM
GarryD Offline

So do you know what he got paid then ? cant imagine the other top runners doing it for nothing either. And what about the marshall issue when Phil made his return why didn't they strike.
14-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Garry 1 swallow doesnt make a summer? and the reason the marshals didnt strike cos they are LOYAL unlike a certain rider.
14-02-2006, 06:17 PM
GarryD Offline

Like it pykey Lol we all speak as we find at the end of the day. But his track record is exceptional lets face it, and as I've said before racing is a selfish sport. And Helen interesting the three you mention are also not frightened of speaking their minds either.
14-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Find Reply