Lets get together...........
thewitch
Unregistered

Lets get together...........
With the centenary meeting coming up in 2007, I am sure a lot of people who have not seen each other for years will suddenly think...wonder if my old mate will be at the TT?
If you want to get in touch with someone who raced, or just came across for the TT in past years, and you have lost touch. Post here, and lets see how many people we can put back in touch.
Remember, once you are registered, without making your private details public, you can send and receive private messages, and exchange any information you want with people that way.
Lets start now, getting together with all those people we used to see and miss now.
I'll start by saying I'd love to see Roy Garnett...
31-03-2006, 07:10 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

Best of all would be to see him on a CR93, of course...
31-03-2006, 07:50 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

I wonder has the old brown duffel coat survived :?:

8)
31-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

And the beard...my daughter used to think he was Santa Claus in his summer coat!
31-03-2006, 08:11 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

He was known to a very good friend of mine as "The Monk" :!: :!:

Lol
31-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

With reference to 'The Monk' does anyone out there remember Stan, the best George Formby impersonator who used to be around in the 70s, riding a Bantam in monks robes and used to haunt the Tynwald Inn and other watering holes.
31-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Bill...were you at Cargo's banana brew?
31-03-2006, 10:06 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
getting together
In the 60's and 70's my pals and I could completely fill a sea-front hotel and spill over into the ones next door !!

I used to start collecting names in April and never had any problem getting 100% per cent turn out.....I booked the hotels and sent a deposit. We left our cars in Liverpool and then hired vehicles or used coaches while we were on the Island. We went to lots of places in those coaches.

Good days indeed, for some of them had never seen a motorcycle race never mind the TT, but they got the "bug" off me and it was a solid group of TT fans who turned up year after year and who brought others who were infected by their bug. I enjoyed showing them round all the sights and taking them to all of the high spots of the day!! We hired rowing boats and rowed out to the Tower of Refuge and also had our own strip of roadside banking just above the creg to watch the main races.

Unfortunately marriage eventually came into the equation for many of them in the middle 70's so, unlike me who has an understanding Mrs, they tailed off putting their beer money into kiddies eddikashun.

Some returned in the late 70's to see Mike Hailwood return but the bachelor freedom feeling had gone..

I still keep in touch with a large number of them and they invade all the websites for TT info and declare each xmas in their cards to me, their real envy for my continued love of the event.

However, homestay has never interested them since we went as a large group into hotels.

I hope some return next year, I would love to see Dickie Fisher, Colin Robertson, Andy Wharton and Roger Burn who were the longest attending trio of my group all of whom came from the North East. (Morpeth, Blyth, Newcastle and Chester-le-Street)

Anybody know them ???

Nostalgia indeed.....................................
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
02-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

The Kenilworth

I was just wondering if anyone in here stayed at the Kenilworth hotel on the prom, in the 70s?
The place was run by the Dawsons (senior and junior) and was always a real buzz at TT time. A certain Scottish guy stayed there. Where the hell IS Penny cooook, anyway?
I became friends with Ralph Dawson, who lived across, in Heston, Middlesex for a while. But lost contact with him when we moved back to the Island. Anyone know of him?

Some of my best memories revolve around staying at the kenilworth and the late night drinking sessions. (surely not?) Not to mention the impromptu quiz that happened on the the weekend before race week.
We all used to dream up suitable new questions to throw in the pot!
Like where on the T.T. course was the last viking battle held?

Does anyone remember those days?

MV
03-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Website Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

A Scotsman from "Penny Cook" (Penicuik, for them that didnae' un'erstan') you must be talking about the one and only "Mose"

Kilt and wellies on the wrong feet, working as a pit attendent....It would have to be a fireproof kilt now. :? and not forgetting the "Flash Packet" worn under the kilt. :shock:

What a character, lived for the TT every year, and racing in general. I think it was Howard Selby who once that told me, if you went to his house there were stacks and bundles of motorcycle magazines papers and pictures, all neatly tied up, everywhere. "Mose" wouldn't throw out anything to do with 'the racing'.....'just in case'

First time my wife met him, 13/14 years ago, he was curled up in a tiny space in the back of my van. He was spent up and broke, after the full fortnight, and I "assisted his passage" back to Heysham.

The only real problem was my five year old son who insisted on talking to him, in the back of the van, while we were being checked on the dock :oops: Lol

Where is he now, not seen him for a few years ?
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Website Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

MV. Ralph Dawson is still about, he works in an engineering firm in Onchan, I think Shaun Hogg would know how to locate him.

Charlie, I know Mose as well, what a guy.
03-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Tel,

When I was working with Rock Oil my sales area was the whole of Scotland so I used to get to most race meeting at Knockhill and East Fortune. Had a Scottish licence me sen' in those days..

Mose was always there, every meeting, first in....last out. Running about for looking for this, that and the other, begging, borrowing scrounging, for different riders, always trying to help, 'specially the guys just starting out, talk about hyperactive.

You will have spent time with him at the Celtic Match Races as well :roll:

What a guy!! Lol Lol
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
03-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Website Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6

Mose garaged at my sister in laws for a few years when he was competing in the sidecar, and have bumped into him many times in scotland and many other race meetings.
03-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Find Reply
Guy Offline

Threads: 10

I last saw Mose about 18 months ago at the Leadburn Inn (about 15 miles South of Edinburgh) there's a bike meet held there on the first Thursday (or is it the last?) of each month. He was a regular there in his Kilt, always rushing about selling raffle tickets or this that and the other for various biking charities.. what a guy, the man's a legend ! Big Grin

I hear that there was a fire at the Leadburn a few months back so I'm not sure if the meets still take place there now but no doubt he'll be around somewhere you can hardly miss him ! Lol
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
03-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Guy...the Leadburn was burnt out completely...is this what Mose meant when he said he was hot stuff...
03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Guy Offline

Threads: 10

Probably Helen, quite probably ! Big Grin
When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
04-04-2006, 05:25 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Yes, you spotted it!
I was talking about Mose!
He was just one of the characters that made staying at the Kenilworth so much fun.
I went across to about haf a dozen TTs on my own (by choice at the time) but was never alone at the Kenilworth!
I have often wondered what happened to Mose.

As for Ralph Dawson, I keep saying ..... "must get in touch!" and time keeps slipping by. I think he was working at an engineering firm in Onchan when I last spoke to him, ages ago! If anyone on here can email a phone number, that would be great.
As an aside, is the Kenilowrth closed now? I cant really tell when walking past.

The more I think about those days, the luckier I feel about having been apart of the great festival since 1967 and having so many memories.

MV
04-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
mose
Mose is the Scottish Rep for the TT Supporters Club and can be seen on

http://www.bbhmg.com/mose.jpg

That's him isn't it ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan