TT NUMBER PLATE STANDARDISATION
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
TT NUMBER PLATE STANDARDISATION
The commentators at the NW 200 are commenting on the front numbers on todays machines and how difficult it is to read them because they are either at a slant, on one side if the front or they are just unreadable at todays speeds.

I feel it will be even harder at the TT to distiguish riders numbers and therefore may I put foreward that to help on course "spotters", the mechanics, the spectators and of course the commentators that numbers on the front of the bikes be standardised for every bike.

It cannot be too much trouble to fit a proper oval disc to the front of the bike with the standard numbers stuck on......PLEASE ??

Any thoughts Mr Phillips or Mr Quayle please...??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
13-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Website Find Reply
Lee Offline

Threads: 11

Spectating between the hedges or watching the Gp's and trying to read the plates is almost imposible sometimes. even when sitting on the best seats or watching on the TV. Especially when the have chrome digits and "fancy slanted" styles.

This has been going on for far to long.

By all means advertise the sponsors in as much style as you can afford but print your numbers clearly so we know who you are.
13-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Ago has got a special plate for this years TT, it reads ROADS OPEN Lol
13-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1

I've been thinking the same for a long time now. I seem to remember that the numbers used to have to conform to strict strict proportions, colours and backgrounds and were checked during scrutineering.

Now, with the fancy styles and abundance of sponsor's stickers, it is sometimes difficult to read the number on a bike parked on its stand.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
13-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

excellent, Colin, excellent...Ago...you going to let him away with that???
13-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Your right Ian virtually every commentator complained about not being about to see the numbers not only the front but the side numbers because of the angle of the bikes.

We also have a variety if different coloured and styles of numbers in the same class.

The ACU always isued standard oval numbers with matt backgounds for the TT with each class being different, 124s Black 250s Green 350s Blue 500s Yellow Production Red and 750s/1000s white. riders also had tp have maching cploured numbers on the backs of their leathers as well.

The background and number colours for classes were used universally all of standard fixed fixed dimensions to comply with FIM regulations.

Some of the ridiculous numbers today are almost impossible to read when they are stood still never mind when they are moving.

When were the regulations changed..
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
13-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Transponders not enough
Someone has e-mailed me direct to say

"bike numbers don't matter any more because the bikes have transponders for lap scoring these days."

Now that REALLY helps the poor spectator, doesn't it !!

We need to identify the rider on the course not completely rely on transponder results.

Rutters Number One looked like a Number Seven on the NW200 website today, quite confusing if it wasn't for the fact that one could recognise the fairing colours.

So again, I request some standardisation of race number plates for the TT for the benefit of the paying public, the spectators.

And Ago Murphy is going to do well this year, you cheeky lot !!

SUPPORT KEVIN AGO MURPHY !!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
13-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Website Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Well that's the best reason for not buying either a North West 200, TT or any other programme I have ever heard. Why buy aq programme to get the riders numbers when you cannot see them on the machines.

When even commentators cannot even identify some of the riders it's getting stupid
13-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

In reply to Tom L, I don't believe that the numbers rules ever were changed.

But who obeys rules and regs today??

Organisers don't, so why should entrants and riders :!:

:?
13-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Find Reply
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27

Agree with your posting Ian , very difficult to read some of the numbers now , my father & i wathched at Ballaspur last year & he was complaining about not being able to see the numbers . I would prefer the numbers as they where with the different classes colour coded as before .
14-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

In the "good old days" you were provided with practice numbers and race numbers and coloured "plates" (stickers). The srutineers would not let you out with anything else on. How about it, ACU?
As the NW's problems showed this week, transponders are not the be all and end all.
14-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Lee Offline

Go old school and use the good old insulating tape. It worked for me when i was 10 years old spectating between a hedge. Lol
14-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

Well the rules certainly haven't changed ! just some riders bending the rules ! And some race organisers not enforcing this rule !
Ok we do have transponders and some claim we don't need to have the numbers clearly showing but yes we do because if (and it does still happen !) the transponder system fails then you're knackered for your times if the timekeeper can't see your number. I do believe they still use the manual system as backup.
As for the Moto GP numbers they have been terrible to read for sometime. At the end of the day if you look at it
this way could it be a safety issue ??? Let hear your comments on that !!
It clearly states in the Manx GP rules that the background and numbers supplied MUST be used! So I will continue to use them, after all they come with the entry fee paid and we do normally have the normal road/circuit racing backgrounds on prior to the change of colour for TT/Manx event.
The strutineers at Manx do pick up on this, so be warned !

And it won't be Ago in front of roads open ! LOL
Come on AGO !
14-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I over heard two scrutineers at Tandragee..........they more or less have given up trying to get people to use the correct numbers and also they had given up trying to convince people to have the number on the correct side of the bike so the timekeepers could see them.

There is a problem with the style and shape of modern fairings that make it very hard to get number plate fitted in such a way that they can be seen and the tail pieces are soo small nowdays it is almost not worth putting numbers on as from the side with bike leant over they are impossible to see.

At motogp they rely entirely on the transponders and so number plate styles have become very radical. Problem is that fashion trend is spreading.
14-05-2006, 03:52 PM
GriffMuss Offline

When one gives up and says what the eck, that when safety becomes an
issue !! Not much in the case of number plates but if the marshalls etc don't see the number plates properly, how long before they think is that
some JOE BLOGGS just sneaked out the side road for a ride round ??
Gets you thinking ? And not impossible ! Daft thought I know.............
14-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

No, you are absolutely right Gail..here's an example. Bike goes through a fast section with exhaust or summat trailing off. Marshalls can't read the number...how do they alert the next set to black flag the rider?
14-05-2006, 04:34 PM
GriffMuss Offline

Oh I forgot to add.............
Tom- you said it wouldn't be worth buying a programme coz we can't read the numbers ! I agree what your saying BUT we need to encourage
the sale of the programmes to help with the whole meeting being held
etc etc that's where they get some of the prize money etc and without that sale we wouldn't have the support it receives ? As it's free for the likes of the Irish roads. Yes I know the Steam Racket make a packet for TT etc but they do give some support/discount to some riders.
So word is buy the programme support the riders who put on good show !
14-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

I agree everyone should buy a programme at all road races in support of the riders but the stupidity is that the organisers make it worthless on race day by allowing none regulation plates and numbers so they defeat the object and don'y encourage people to buy one.

Another reason the MGP and TT insisted on regulation numbers and backgrounds was retirements if you stopped for any reason you were supposed parked your maxhine facing oncoming riders with the front number clearly visible for travelling marshalls. I got told about not doing this when I broke down one mornng practice and put the bike in somones front garden and went in for a cup of tea.

Effectively I was missing wherabouts unknown. In fact I know definitely of a certain American from Westchester Pennsylvania in our digs who did the same back in the 70s who was still being entertained by the lady of the house long after the roads opening car, and they had search parties out looking behind hedges etc for the rider and bike while he was still eating toast.
14-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Eating toast???
14-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Tom Loughridge Offline

Yep that's what his real Cherokee indian squaw/wife (a stunning looker) asked when they found him.
14-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Find Reply