MMCC In Court Tomorrow
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MMCC In Court Tomorrow
It has just been announced on Manx Radio that the MMCC will be in court tomorrow (Thursday the 15th) in relation to the unfortunate incident on Peel Road (rope no flags / rope flags) where a rider was knocked off his motorcycle and unfortunately lost his life through the injuries sustained.

Let's hope that a sensible decision is reached concerning this matter.
14-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Have any more details been released on this? It seems very strange that they should be held accountable when (admittedly hearsay) accounts are that the man rode past warning signs and hit a marked rope in an area where there was obviously racing activity going on.

I wish the MMCC well in this and I don't see why this case is considered to be in the public interest.
14-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

And it's the DOT who are responsible for the ropes etc.
15-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

ACU Handbook 2006, National Sporting Code Page 21, 6.02.1

Duties of the Clerk of the Course:-

1. To ensure that the circuit, track, course or terrain is in good order and that all legal requirements have been met and all conditions as may be laid down by the Permit Issuing Authority are complied with.

So its the Clerk of the Course's responsibility.
15-06-2006, 06:30 PM
FC
Unregistered

SACK HIM
15-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

But, then again, this rider had ridden past bright red "Road Ahead Closed" warning signs and had obviously not seen the rope so I very much doubt if a flag attached to the rope, even if it had been bright yellow with red/white polka dots on it, would have made any difference, its just a case of "The Buck Stops Here", and the COC just happens to be the person whos responsibility it is.
16-06-2006, 03:52 PM
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Stange that every rope in the section had new warning triangles the following day....

....put there by the DOT....."allegedly"

.... I'm learning Malcolm :roll:
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
17-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

ammo Wrote:ACU Handbook 2006, National Sporting Code Page 21, 6.02.1

Duties of the Clerk of the Course:-

1. To ensure that the circuit, track, course or terrain is in good order and that all legal requirements have been met and all conditions as may be laid down by the Permit Issuing Authority are complied with.

So its the Clerk of the Course's responsibility.
Point taken, thanks for clarifying that. In this context I guess we are looking at Health & Safety legislation in which case a company (the MMCC as organisers) bears a duty of care to the public among others. The question is, did they discharge that duty of care to the extent that is "reasonable"? We fall over ourselves in the name of safety where the riders and marshals are concerned and it's too easy to forget about the people round the outside who may be affected by the activities associated with the races.

So did the MMCC take "reasonable care" with their road closure precautions? We here all know about signs and ropes, but we know the races and the corner. It is a cornerstone of the legislation that it applies equally to the old hand and the first-timer who doesn't know the ropes (so to speak). So are rope barriers enough? Should high visibility devices like warning triangles have been in place beforehand? Is rope the right medium for closing the road given the (proven) side effects of somebody not seeing it? Would only prominent flashing warning chevrons right across the road backed by foam barriers be "reasonable"?

On this occasion I am glad the MMCC has a prominent legal brain at its head. I'm all for safety but the TT and MGP are increasingly out of place in this grey, nannying society. We should not underestimate the threat to the events we love from legislation which was intended to protect factory workers but which is increasingly being applied to stop anyone doing anything.
20-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

In my experience responsible is not a word that can ever be applied to the DoT, allegedly.
22-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to the message board forum on http://www.iomtt.com there was "No case to answer".
01-07-2006, 07:58 AM