First GATSO on the IOM - Erected 18th May 2006 Ballaugh
Steven_99 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
First GATSO on the IOM - Erected 18th May 2006 Ballaugh
What looks remarkably like a speed camera (the one that takes pictures and sends a speeding ticket automatically as seen everywhere in the UK) has been erected just before the bridge outside the car sale showroom on the road from Kirk Michael.

First of many????
19-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Find Reply
Labtec Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2

hopefuly. slow down.
19-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

We'd welcome one in Higher Foxdale, drivers come from the Ballamoda
still doing 60 mph.............in a 30mph limit.
20-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Website Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

Maybe they want to see how many TT competitors are speeding over
Ballaugh Bridge Lol Lol Lol
21-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Latest reports on radio say it's not a Gatso..
21-05-2006, 10:45 AM
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

Manx Radio have got it wrong.

The camera is monitoring only for the first 6 weeks and motorists will only be sent a letter if they are speeding or more than 6 feet off the ground off the bridge. Sorry couldn't resist.

If the trial period is successful then MORE cameras will be placed at "blackspots"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/...999414.stm
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
21-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

There is also information on http://www.iom.gov.im I must say that I think these sort of cameras are a good idea,providing they are used as they are intended.If the government can keep an eye on the regular speeders,sending out warning letters initially,with a view to a fine for repeated offenders,this can only be for the good.Most of us bikers like to go fast,but to have people speeding in residential areas is unacceptable.As Gail says,the speed of many vehicles through Foxdale,particularly late at night,is unbelievable.The police generally focus more on illegal parking than speeding,less paperwork most probably!
If the Manx government can impose decent safety measures without the need for a blanket speed limit,they are to be congratulated.Time will tell :roll:
21-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Fixed cameras can be beneficial, if they are located pretty strictly at accident blackspots. I can see how Ballaugh could qualify, given the blind junction that follows the bridge.

Don't be to quick to welcome those though. Most people would love to have one outside their house to keep passing traffic speeds down, but too much of this sort of demand can turn into a plague, as we have seen on the mainland where cameras are scattered around seemingly at random, in the hope 1 camera can control the speed on a 5 mile stretch of road, and with the "scamera" partnerships keeping part of the money there's a lot of cameras out there that do little but penalise the unwary since all the locals know where to slow down.
22-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

I wouldn't worry about it someone has thrown a tyre over it and set in alight. See Manx Radio.com for all the info.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
23-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Lol Lol .It wasn't me,I'm not there.You can bet it won't be the only attempt to destroy it,as there must be a lot of bad feeling about them,particularly amongst the Manx people,as they are not used to Big Brother spying on them,and who can blame them?
As I said in my previous posting,as a warning to slow down they could be a good thing,but I wouldn't bet against them being used for enforcement in the future.
23-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I have to say that I am just a little suprised at the apparent naievety of people on the Islan about speed cameras.
We on the mainland have got used to them and how they work.
All the early talk about "oh, a good thing. They will slow people down" gives way to a resignation that they will catch people and fine them, making loads of money.
Now, my attitude to speeding is quite simple.
Its a rule that one chooses to obey, or not.
If you chose to disaobey, then you may get caught.
If you get caught, it may cost you.
If it cost you, stop bleating!
I, like most people, DO travel at 80 plus on the motorway and ocasionally over the limit on dual carriageways.
I got caught and fined for 90mph on the mottorway in 1986.
It was 6 am, the road was clear and it was an umarked Police car, but
I knew the risks.
NOW. As far as the other end of the scale is concerned, I am MUCH more disciplined.
To me, 30mph, or even 20mph is rigid.
It usually applies to residential areas and I live in one of those myself!
I live on an estate which is in effect a cul de sac and peole come into it at 40+ which I think is criminal....

This is even more important on the beautiful Isle of Man, where I am a lucky guest.
I have had great fun for years, blasting (albeit much slower these days!) around the course, but strictly slowing down through villages, etc and places like the approach to Ballaugh and Ramsey.

So, be aware that speed cameras can bite, and so they should!
There are some that are placed very sneakily though.
But the same rules apply.
30 limit?

SLOW DOWN!!!

MV
24-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36

Gosh, the GATSO never seemed to bother with me..? Maybe because my registration is off shore..? Or because it is not legible due to too much road dirt..? Sorry that I do not clean my bike that often... Guess I am just lucky.. and would never go crazy in a small town anyway...

8)
26-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Find Reply