TT Classic Parade Riders
barbara wood Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
TT Classic Parade Riders
Having read all of the comments during the last five months regarding the new TT course licence requirements, I am aware that many experienced TT and MGP competitors may find themselves in a position where they will be unable to qualify for such a licence, for a variety of reasons.
Therefore, I must say I was astonished when I bought my TT programme to see the list of names in the Classic Parade. Surely this makes a mockery of the whole silly situation? Quite a few of these Parade riders are no longer racing regularly, indeed some have not raced for years, yet a good number of them will be let out on some pretty potent machinery on closed roads.

What happens if one of them is unfortunate enough to fall off?

How come they are being allowed to venture out on to the TT course under "race" conditions, when certain experienced current racers may be denied the chance to do so, because they are unable to meet ACU TT Course Licence criteria?
23-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

I do believe this very subject has cropped up before,maybe not on this forum, but elsewhere.There was so much posted on the subject of this ridiculous licence,that I have forgotten where I read it all! The ACU have not had the decency to reply to questions asked them regarding whether a special licence would be required for these parades. They have obviously not thought through your very question,Barbara,and with their insistence that the course licence is all about safety,it becomes a total joke.It doesn't bear thinking about,that should there be a serious accident involving one of these "paraders", it could end up being the chief reason for the demise of the TT.So much for health and safety paranoia.I wonder if the ACU's insurers are aware of this issue? :roll:
23-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

If the TT Course licence is all about safety and insurance, then does this mean that the Classic Parade riders are not riding under the same insurance cover as the racers in the event of a serious accident?
23-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Well, of course, there have been accidents, and the death of our good friend, Peter.
The Classic Lap is an anomoly, and would perhaps be less of a worry if the participants all stuck to the rules (and the original idea) that they are there to let the crowd see them and their bike, take photos etc. However, a few, (some of them people I respect and value highly) are circulating at racing speeds. I know they are having fun, and the ones I am thinking of are very capable, BUT...if soemthing goes wrong..
And, of course, like so many other things (Robert's amazing comback at the NW200) it makes a total fool of the ACU's so-called safety measure of disallowing the lies of Shaun from racing. What tosh!
23-05-2006, 09:24 PM
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

Barbra ! THANK YOU !! Lol

This was one of the very things I brought up about the TT course licence !
What about the classic parade lappers ! And guess what no-body even
replied ! So what shall we do about it protest at the line or inform the insurers ?? A flipping joke as you say !!

GAIL
23-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Website Find Reply
ALP Offline

But the Parade is not a race - it is a speed controlled lap at (I think) no more than 50mph which is regulated by the TM's which are spread out amongst the riders.

I also recall that at least one rider has been black flagged before for speeding past all the other riders and TM's in an effort to get to the front.

Andrew.
24-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

The fastest lap recorded in last year's 'Parade' was by Michael Rutter at over 116mph! I think he must have exceeded 50mph somewhere on the lap...
24-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

This is getting confusing and I really dont think it further the case of objecting to TT coarse license by quoting a none racing event.
What we have is 2 events rolled into one
(a) The Lap Of Honour--open only to riders with previous TT or MGP experience who can travel at whatever speed they choose.
(b) TT parade lap-- open to all where interesting machinary is the real emphasis, These, as rightly said, are under the control of a traveling marshalls.
Please do'nt put ideas into the the ACUs head and stop what after all is not a race,as to do so would serve no usefull purpose
24-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Find Reply
barbara wood Offline
Just Getting Started

post subject
As I said in my first posting, I cannot see how these non full-time racers are allowed out on closed roads when experienced riders cannot get a licence because they haven't got the required number of points.

Are you telling me Arthur that all these parade riders have an up to date licence to venture on to the COURSE? Surely they are just as vulnerable to having an accident as anyone else? The fact that this is a parade lap has nothing to do with it.

Or would you rather see the demise of the MGP in favour of parade laps?

Of course we all enjoy the parade lap, but isn't this about Health and Safety?
24-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Find Reply
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18

barbara riders taking part in the parade must hold a current acu road race licence or a current acu parade licence or a class a dvla motorcycle licence.

all participants most complete an entry form & a medical declaration.

hope that helps abit.
24-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

Barbara,
Of coarse I would not wish to see the demise of the MGP in favour of parade laps, but I fail to see the connection,could you advise.
Regarding H&S issues,surely these are relevent in everything we do these days,in my view we get too much H&S thrown at us.
The parade lap is just a nostalgic item of the TT fortnight and not a race,of coarse there is allways the risk of an accident.
24-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Find Reply
matt-j Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 3

my entry was refused reason was my bike was not old enough a 97 125 honda that has raced six times with some what i would call not bad results some historical intrest but not allowed to ride so no orange and purple two stoke to look and listen to.cheers MATT hope you all enjoy the racing but i will not be over.
24-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

So sorry you will not be there. You are part of the history (and the present!!) and I for one would love to see you in the parade lap. See you at the Southern?
25-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Far too little experience Matt, just like Shaun Harris :roll: :?
25-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Should we add, "and Matt" to our teeshirts??
25-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

And yet theres some people on much more modern bikes than that. If you apply the Health and Safety rules to the letter then you are not allowed to do anything "which would endanger yourself or your fellow workers (riders)" so you definetly should not be racing each other, cos that creates potentially dangerous situations :!: :!: :roll: :roll:
30-05-2006, 01:10 PM
TT TECH Offline

Threads: 5

Do the Travelling Marshals have to have a mountain course licence???
Clubmen Suport Themselves
30-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as Im aware, its only the racers/riders in the races that the TT Course Licence applies to.
30-05-2006, 03:37 PM