well said FC
06-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

06-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

Threads: 40

For the benefit of everyone concerned with James's welfare.....

His best mate Jason arrived in the Island from San Fransisco on Wednesday morning, off the night boat. :roll:

He told me that James had taken a wash flannel off someone, while being showered, and tried to wash his face and that he was now obviously aware that he has tubes in him as he has been trying to pull them out. (Normally not a good thing but in this case it show a measurable inprovement.) 8)

James has also given the "thumbs up" to a nurse this morning and again to Jason when he went this afternoon.

If this improvement continues, and James comes out of the coma, the Medivac flight to San Fransisco will be far cheaper as there will not be the same amount of medical supervision required.

"WAKE UP JAMES"
Youth is wasted on the under forties !
06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

charlie hulse Wrote:For the benefit of everyone concerned with James's welfare.....

If this improvement continues, and James comes out of the coma, the Medivac flight to San Fransisco will be far cheaper as there will not be the same amount of medical supervision required.

"WAKE UP JAMES"

Do we now put a cost of riders lives

Im glad to hear of the improvements in James and that he has his best mate by his side
06-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Michael Offline

Threads: 6

I was very sad about what happened to James! I can't understand that there was problems with postings on this site. A friend of James visited us at our campside by the Dhoon and told us from the accident. I was in a coma five years ago after a horrible crash wth a bike on a German motorway. So let us pray for him to wake up and recover from his injuries!!!
Michael
06-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Website Find Reply
tripod Offline

Threads: 0

yorky asked what is wrong with James' insurance?
Do we have an answer?
07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Find Reply
charlie hulse Offline

[/quote] Do we now put a cost of riders lives

Im glad to hear of the improvements in James and that he has his best mate by his side[/quote]

Colin; thats not what I was saying mate, it was just an update on James's gradual improvement and condition....but it is a fact that the cost of a Medivac flight would be far cheaper if James is out of th coma.

"WAKE UP JAMES" Time to go Racing
07-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

I have to say that I agree with Colin and say that the organisers should either pick up the bill to send James home or at least make a significant gesture towards it. In my innocence always thought it was their duty to repatriate a fallen rider.
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Like Colin, I would be interested to know how the insurance comes to be inadequate to repatriate James. I always thought it was a compulsory part of your paperwork, and that it would be thoroughly checked.
I am also seriously concerned about the implications for the future for off-island competitiors, particularly those from far-flung places. What's the score there, Paul? This would obviously affect all sports, including rally, kart etc, where there is an international element. Even ping pong players can have accidents and need re-patriation.
07-07-2006, 09:51 AM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

According to Article 110.2 of the FIM Sporting Code, any rider competing outside his/her own Federation's jurisdiction in an event other than an FIM Championship event must have insurance against necessary Medical Expenses and Repatriation to a total amount of US$ 20,000.

The production of a Start Permission from one's own Federation when signing on at an event is regarded as confirmatiom from that Federation that this cover is in place.

Mind you, it's not a lot of money, is it??
07-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

07-07-2006, 11:08 AM
charlie hulse Offline

That's my understanding too Helen. I believe that there is a higher level that they, (Doug and James) could have gone for. But for whatever reason they didn't.

But, all being well, James will be repatriated in two to three weeks time. There was a problem getting a hospital to accept him....BUT that has now been overcome and he will be going to one of the major hospitals in San Francisco.
07-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

That's good news, and, to be fair, I think that the longer he stays in Noble's, with rest and consistent care, the stronger he will be for the long, difficult trip home. I know at least one of his friends was very worried he would be sent home too soon.
I hope he recovers, and comes back to visit again.
07-07-2006, 11:25 AM
charlie hulse Offline

The message I've got from Jason is that everyone Stateside is amazed by the amount of support and they have had from the Isle of Man and the rest of the UK; everyone involved with the TT.

I think there will be long lasting friendships made during this difficult time for James, his family and friends.
07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Of course there are higher levels of cover available.

It costs, but can be got.

However, I have been supplying this cover to competitors for 26 years, and have never been asked for higher Med/Repat figures.

I have been asked for the cost, but the result has always been "No thanks, it's OK at the FIM amount"

Human nature it is - nobody ever believes they're going to fall off.

Lets face it, if you thought it likely, you wouldn't go to the grid, would you?

So, we all buy just what is compulsory - we'd rather spend the money on a new tyre.
08-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

The TT want to be part of the world circus as most have noticed this year, they want the special paddock and all that goes with it, now if anything happened that was to harm that image would the DTL go hell bent to resolve it, yes if one of the top team riders had a bad accident, it would be taken care off regardless of cost, that should be the same for the privateer.

As i keep saying pay the bills to get James home and fight about it later
08-07-2006, 08:45 PM