Technical Briefings
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Technical Briefings
Does anybody know what surprises will be brought up at these new technical briefings at the manx. I can see saturday scrutineering will be fun if the new requirements, what ever they may be, trying to be implemented before the briefing. Why don,t they have the briefing on sat. Or why not have a pre scruitineering check before hand so that people new to the scene can have them checked well in time for sat practice. Lets take the stress out of the first scruitineering session.
31-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Your right the tech breifings should be held before first scrutineering but there's already a lot for breifings and paperwork to get through on Friday/Saturday.

Fact is if people took the trouble to read and understand the regs there wouldn't be a problem

A brief review.........

1. Lock wire ALL wheel spindles and nuts

2. Have at least one 25mm hole in the bottom of your fairing with a suitable bung.

3. The split in your brake pipes MUST be above the bottom yoke.

4. Your transponder must be fitted for scrutineering.

5.. NO slicks cut or uncut

5. Oil filter and drain bolt MUST lockwired. (In fact any bolt the enters an oil cavity miust be wired)

6. Have a clean bike.

7. Only water in the rad

8. Bore and stroke to be marked on the bike

9. ALL exhaust springs MUST be locked wired

10. Treat scrutineers with respect they are only concerned with your safety. Under no circumstances fight ot argue with them it is far better to have a reasonable disscussion and then do as they ask.

If you can manage that lot then you'll have no problems.......... easy really

Anything to add Jeff ??
31-07-2006, 09:21 AM
beetroot Offline

Threads: 0

the easiest way of taking the stress out of scrutineering, is to do the job right before you take it to scrutineering!!!

its not rocket science! Big Grin
31-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a bolt/nut has got a hole in it for wire, then it must be wired. They prefer you to put locking wire on springs down the centre of the spring, dont ask me why, they just do. ACU rules say minimum tyre tread depth 1.6mm, but, 125 tyres only have slightly more than that when new, and KR364's have a wear marker on them anyway, (take note scrutineers, and use your common sense).
31-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Good list from Cargo though of course due to the extreme nature of the ride we have to be sure of a lot of other things too - security of brackets, levers etc, condition of head races and bearings. Stuff that might not be a big deal at a club race but matters on the IoM. The scrutes are generally pretty clued-up so listen to them and do what they say.

Prep in advance, we should all have had some reminders through from Harvey and hopefully have checked the bike complies! I know one thing they were hot on at the TT was that the shark fin does indeed cover the back sprocket even with a small sprocket on and the wheel moved back.

But yes, I'll be interested to see what the new briefing contains as well. As long as it's constructive I welcome it.
03-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Website Find Reply
tripod Offline

I think the requirement for the bungs in the bottom of the fairing has now been deleted. :?:

The reason for putting a wire down the centre of springs is so that if the spring breaks the pieces will not fall onto the road where they can cause punctures, etc. :idea:
04-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

tripod Wrote:I think the requirement for the bungs in the bottom of the fairing has now been deleted. :?:

In this case you think wrong

The reason for putting a wire down the centre of springs is so that if the spring breaks the pieces will not fall onto the road where they can cause punctures, etc. :idea:

However you are correct here
04-08-2006, 09:48 AM
tripod Offline

I'm sorry if I was wrong about the bungs, it must be a special rule for the Manx GP because on short circuit racing on the mainland you must not have holes in the oil containment tray.
04-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Find Reply
tripod Offline

I've just read the MGP regs and I'm sorry cargo but you are wrong. The requirement for the holes and bungs in the bottom of the fairing has been deleted. So get out the fibreglass kit.
05-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

No my friend YOU are wrong and please any competitor read this forum the requirement to have a maximum of two 25mm holes in the bottom of the oil containment will most definatly be enforced.

tripod I refer you to page 19 MGP regs Appendix 1 item 8

"Oil Containment
In the interests of safety Standing Regulations will be enforced."

Also I refer to a letter from Harvey Garton dated 27 July 2006 item 1

"All four strokes MUST comply with the oil containmrnt regulation [ACU Reg 13.16}- ie the lower fairing must contain at least half the total oil capacity in the event of an engine failure ; there must be a maximum of two 25mm diameter holes; the holes must have rubber bungs fitted unless the COC declares wet conditions [gaffer/duct tape sealing of holes is not considered adequate."

Now Tripod go read again and then applogise.
05-08-2006, 09:11 AM
tripod Offline

I don't think we should be trying to score points here, the important thing is to not confuse anyone.
The MGP regs do indeed say that standing regulations will be enforced.
If Harvey sent out the letter that you quoted, then he has quoted from last years standing regs.
Please read in the road racing standing regulations: 2006 handbook
Reg no. 13.16
there is a diagram on page 239 (not page 210 that the handbook says)
Please show me the reference to holes and bungs.
There isn't actually any need, but if you feel the urge to apologise please feel free Big Grin
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I don't have either of these docs in front of me, but, the supplementary regs issued by the MGP are just that .. supplementary... so things can be included which are not in the current handbook.
So Harvey G can add (as long as they don't cause a conflicting set of actions) any extra regs the MMCC feel are necessary for the Manx as opposed to any other race meeting.
SO... who's right? Harvey, I guess.
05-08-2006, 11:32 AM
tripod Offline

Unless (God forbid) Harvey has made a mistake and quoted last years handbook.
He shouldn't make mistakes, he is an ex sidecar racer after all.
05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

It's possible, of course. Even I make the (very) occasional mistake, and I'm an ex-passenger.
However, even if he misquoted, if he says it's necessary it will be, just because the MMCC said so...
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

It does says things in the MGP rules that contradict ACU rules, for instance, in the 2006 ACU Handbook it says "leaded petrol mixtures up to 100 octane RON wiil be allowed", in MGP rules it says you can use Avgas. Avgas is approxiamately 102 octane MON/115+ octane RON so according to 2006 ACU rules, everyone on Avgas is running illegal fuel, but theyre not because it says in the MGP regs that its allowed, and the MGP regs have had to be approved by the ACU in the first place. As the witch says, supplementary regs are just that , an addition to what it says in the ACU Handbook.
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
cargo
Unregistered

Tripod I ain't trying to score points this thread began as a discussion as to how to avoid stress at first scrutineering.

I offered some good advice YOU have introduced the confusion

You say that "if" Harvey sent out a letter seems to suggest that either you don't believe that he did or maybe you think I'm a lair either way it proves that YOU didn't get a letter and so I ask that if you are a competitor please feel free to turn up at scrutineering with no holes or bungs and the rest of us will watch as you franticly search for a hole cutter and bungs.

My good friend Ted to be found directly opposite the Pirelle lorry will sell you some top of the range correctly sized bungs at a jolly good price.

And your hole will be bunged :wink:

I have confirmed with Harvey 's deputy get yer drills out and go seek a bung or two
05-08-2006, 05:01 PM
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
Bungs
Erm my bike does not require a full fairing ammo, could I just carry the bungs in my leathers. Wouldnt want to upset the tripod.

Quite right tripod this reg. was amended for 2006 however the MGP has its own regs and specific reasons for them.

We will not need to remove any bungs though its going to be sunny sunny sunny startin a week Saturday.
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
07-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it right what I heard, that youre not allowed to carry tools in a bag/kiddies pencil case inside your fairing any more ie plug, plug spanner, wire, tape etc ?
07-08-2006, 08:43 PM
chinesespaceman Offline
Just Getting Started

Manx Grand Prix Preparation
Please all competitors be aware that their has been a 15 minute delay announced for the first scrutineering session. This is due to forecast inclement weather, a car going on fire on the mountain mile, a BBQ setting fire to a hedge in Kirkmichael and......................................

Have fun guys

Gav
11-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Find Reply
GriffMuss Offline

Threads: 32

And I bet that Chinesespaceman isn't far wrong.......................who's taking bets on a delayed first practise ? Lol And why :?:

Wrong colour number plated used or transponder not in correct place..........timekeepers, marshalls can't read your number...etc

ahh well I'll be pushed to the back coz I'm not a front runner (rider) LOL
11-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Website Find Reply