Falling short?
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Falling short?
I havent seen refernce to this article yet...

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2....ID=1713899

I am not going to comment at this stage but let others start.

MV
24-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Yes, sad indeed when the switched-on new organisers down play the MGP at every chance. Use derogatory references to demean the dedicated riders who love to race at the Manx and dilute the TT to an extent that almost everyone asked comes back with the same reply - "boring".
Is it any wonder the locals can't understand what is going on? The TT is slowly disappearing up its own exhaust pipe with no morning practice and virtually one class for each race.
One wonders when someone is going to tap them on the shoulder and give them a ticket to Macau and say get a life guys and run the TT as if you were in control.
Perhaps when the organisers cease to be conned by the big teams, the manufacturers, the insurance companies and the ACU and decide to put on their own event then things will start to improve.
The Manx should be being promoted for the benefit of enthusiasts and the stakeholders on the Island rather than being sidelined at every opportunity.
The heritage of these most famous of all road races is being squandered and the world stands by and watches in disbelief.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
24-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

24-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Yes, the "Isle of Man Today" article uses the same press release but John Watterson has taken it a bit further by expressing opinions.
What caught my eye was the frustration expressed by the long time guest house proprietor regrading the concentrated focus on the TT. It would seem logical to actually promote the MGP and try to extend the viability of Island businesses.
I could be wrong but the vibrations coming from people in control seem almost dismissive of the Manx and its competitors.
The 2007 TT will be great for everyone who can get there with what looks like plenty of chances to see some old bikes and riders up close.
My personal view is that the historic displays should be static and the addition, for this centenary year, of a professional classic race would be a safer alternative to parade laps.
25-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Even the loss of the afternoon practice session is yet another watering down of the event.
People will be forced to ask themlselves (after 2007) whats the point?
What will be the point of shelling out or hard earned readies (in my case pension) to the Steam Racket and for accomodation to see less and less racing with les and less interest?
I am planning on buying a litle camper van on retirement. The idea was to visit the TT, but the Manx looks more and more inviting. That is for as long as it lasts in its current format!
It will become a case of value for money.
A week in te Island without racing would be good and a bit cheaper!
Or think of where we can go from Andover on the UK mainland.

Sorry, I am rambling!
But you get my drift?
What is the attracton at the TT, afer 2007?

MV
25-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Website Find Reply
ALP Offline

Threads: 2

MV Wrote:Even the loss of the afternoon practice session is yet another watering down of the event.
Having the practice in the evening, actually gives riders an extra 15 minutes. Plus it is a heck of a lot easier to get Marshals in the evening than it is during the working day.......

Andrew.
25-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19

I had a very pleasant flashback during last night's practice session. I parked at Creg-ny-Baa and hiked up to Kate's Cottage and Keppel Gate to get some camcorder footage. Towards the end of the session I was back down near Creg ny Baa - it was getting dark, it had suddenly gone very cold, and two Dunlops went screaming past on 125s. It reminded me of all the early morning TT practice sessions I used to watch from the Creg in the half-light and the cold, watching the likes of Joey and Robert going through their paces on their 125s and 250s. Pure, undiluted TT magic.

I know that things can never stand still and you have to keep up with the modern world, but that was a really strange feeling last night. It was great to watch and experience, but also very sad to think that that sort of TT magic will never happen again. If I had a choice between being able to turn the clock back to the early 1990s, or watching the programme on offer for next year's TT, I would choose the early 1990s a hundred times out of a hundred.

To put it another way, I have every TT video/DVD since the annual reviews were first produced in 1985, right up to the present day. The late 1980s/early 1990s ones must be practically worn out now, and I will never tire of watching them. The 2005 and 2006 ones haven't even been unwrapped yet!

I hasten to add that that is NOT a criticism of the current organisers who are living in 2006 and not 1990, and have to face the commercial realities of today's world (although I have to say that am very disappointed by the race programme for next year). What it is, though, is heartfelt regret that, regardless of how many 130mph laps there might be next year, there just isn't any magic left in the TT any more. Not for me, anyway.
25-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

TOP BANANA DAVID REGARDS J.A/MUSS 8)
He who dislikes the cat,is himself a longtail
26-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

Hi David, that posting sure brings back memories, just reading it, well worded indeed, at least we can have those happy memories
26-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Hi David, it's the same feeling with the speedway scene here. We are always being ridiculed for'living in the past', but it was in the past where all the wonderful memories came, there's nothing much to remember from what's happening these days I can assure you. Maybe it's the way of the world, not enough enthusiasm, too many other things for people to do, goodness knows. I can only say that I am so fortunate to have grown up in the era watching and being a part of the great days of motorcycling racing.
27-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Jan i thought it was me getting old but somehow i dont get the same enthusiasm as years gone by, golden memories of hanging over the fence in paddock and watching my heroes at 5am and the smell of castrol R, also going up to the garages at the rear of the Castle Mona and getting autogaphs GOLDEN DAYS.
27-08-2006, 12:02 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
60 years a TTFAN
TTFAN SAYS:

..............................Yes Nicki, I have spent a lot of nostalgic time up in my loft recently, researching an article or two, going through my "Vast TT Collection" and lots of wonderful memories came flooding back...........

(Couple of memories....)

You see, everything is bagged for easy reference, by the year.......

I hope to get to TT 2007 but am already wondering if I should try something new after then, since the TT of this new era does not have the thrill of days gone by (and I am also retired and now look even more for value for money)

I have been extremely loyal to the Isle of Man TT through all the good and bad days, making the annual pilgrimage, sometimes doing two and three trips over to fit in with school, then college then jobs. However, with the political correctness, HASWA, and tails shaking dogs, we are all seeing less for more financial outlay.

When I think of the hard earned cash I have spent on the Island over these last 60 years, I could have had a very expensive stamp collection, see even more of the world or had a bigger house.

I'm not really complaining, because since 1947 I have had something which has been a major part of my life and therefore, I do not regret being a TT Fan.

I have written websites about my TT annual visits (http://www.bbhmg.com), but this years (2006) was less TT and more incidental information such as the ferry, nostalgia etc.

Reading recent articles about what is formally planned for TT 2007, hearing the impromtu responses ( Nah, we go to the BSB now) of many of my friends who actually gave up immediately after Joey Dunlop died (not at the TT), and or the Foot and Mouth scare, and realising how much these visits are costing the spectator, I wonder if we will all return in 2008 !!

It is nice and cosy in my loft, rather like going back to the womb, and I sit up there with bags of TT relics, books, badges and paperwork and it only costs me a half-bottle of wine and the electricity to light up the loft (and a sore bum of course!)...............

I still take a lot of time out to promote the Isle of Man and its famous TT races, but I feel I am becoming very less convincing when I try to whip up interest, when all I have to use in my talks are the stories of the "olden days"..........................................

Thank you, Ian.......

(From an interview with BBHMG READING)
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dougie Bay
in my last posting i said the castle mona when i should have said the DOUGIE BAY sorry an age problem.
27-08-2006, 09:03 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Dont we sound a bunch of miserable old gits!
Well, actually no.
WE are the lucky ones cos of what we CDID see and experience.
I can conjur up so much from memory.
(its ok, I wont bore you again!)
BUT, and here is the big BUT.
What do new visitors have to remember?
Yes, its always special to drive or ride onto the famous old course for the first time. But there are no new vivid images or sounds being created.
I must add at this point "in MY opinion" and recognise that soem will disagree. Although there are more and more who agree with the sentiment.
The best has gone for ever.
When somebody like Ian talks about not going, it really is sad.

Yes, maybe it is life generally.
I dont know.
I do know that the T.T. is disappearing before our eyes.

MV
28-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

TT OR NOT
My reason to visit the Isle of Man over 59 years was to see the TT.

Today there is such a "thin layer of jam on our bread", with so much extra filling, some of which is total dross, that the TT takes a back seat in the eyes of the New Fans who are brainwashed into attending a motorcycling festival scene, and disregard the TT, forgetting when it was the ultimate race for man and machine.

Did you realise that many of todays TT visitors don't even watch a race !!!

The TT is still a great event but it is in danger of being buried in amongst a lot of other things which dilute the concept.

I wrote an article a few years ago that the whole programme for TT fortnight should be trimmed and refined and therefore make the TT the prime event of the period.

Perhaps it has, but in my mind, it still not right..
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
29-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Couldnt agree more Ian its a Festival so they tell us but in my day and yours it was the TT races not street parties, maybe and its only my idea combine the MGP and the TT, ok wait for the backlash from the MGP riders but that way you could have 2 weeks of all bikes but the morning practice must return also Geoff Cannell.
29-08-2006, 04:45 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

sounds good
Are you all listening to Manx Radio on AM with todays commentary....

Listen to all the different sounds of motorcycles, two and four stroke..

Oh so good !!!

That's what we miss at the TT !!
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
30-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

02-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went over to watch the Pre TT Classic races and on the boat on the way back was a bus party of people all wearing badges proclaiming "Ive been to the 2006 TT FESTIVAL" no mention of any races whatsoever. I wonder if they even knew the races existed ?
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ammo i have been saying that for quite a time now but if that keeps them happy who i am i to differ? and before anyone says i am anti TT i wouldnt have gone for nearly 40yrs as a spectator and marshal.
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM