beryl swain
Anonymous
Unregistered

beryl swain
does anyone know if the 50 cc rider beryl swain is still around? if so she should be invited to the party.
27-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

HI PYKEY IS THAT THE ONE WITH FUR COAT AND NO WATSITS SORRY BERYL J.A MUSSO :shock:
He who dislikes the cat,is himself a longtail
28-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok think so hillary but was she the 1st woman to race around the TT circuit?
28-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

Beryl Swain was the 1st female driver to race the TT,I believe regulations previously did not allow,but was not the first female competitor.
Not sure but I believe I read somewhere recently that she is living in retirement in Essex.
There were in the 60s several accomplished female racers, Two which come to mind,having raced with them are Pat Wise,manx Nortons,she would have given Maria a run for her money, and Margo Pearson, Montesa,who could hold her own in the 125 class.
28-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

wasnt Pat Wise a s/car passenger at one time?
28-08-2006, 08:40 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Was it Pat wise who went round with Eric Oliver in the watsonian.
Or is my memory letting me down AGAIN!

As for beryl Swain.
Its one of the Murray Walker moments that sticks in the mind.

".....for SHE was MRS Beryl Swain......"

MV
(...."when I'm 64" last thursday)
29-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

No Mike - you got it this time :!: :!:
29-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Hey!

The brain DOES work sometimes still.

I do think that I can be forgiven for mixing up Ralph Bryans and Stuart Graham though?
Both small works riders from the 60s?

;-)

MV
29-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Website Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

[quote="MV"]Was it Pat wise who went round with Eric Oliver in the watsonian.
Or is my memory letting me down AGAIN!

Correct, Its rumoured Pat sat in the sidecar doing her knitting.
29-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didnt Beryl Swain marry Fred Launchbury, I think.
29-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

No, but Fred's widow was also a Beryl, she briefly lived here on the Island.
It is said that Pat Wise was hoping to have ridden the TT solo, but she could not get on with a 50, after years of racing a Venom! She was rumoured to have sucked her way through a packet of toffees with Eric Oliver in the 1958 Sidecar TT
Pat partnered Olga Kevelos an an Ariel Arrow in the Thruxton 500 miler, Olga raced in the only motorcycle race at Goodwod, it was said that more fans crept through the fence than through the turnstiles that day, that's why there was never a motorcycle race meeting at Goodwood
29-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Pat Wise is a very good friend of mine,and has only recently given up riding bikes,in fact we bought her last machine from her.She is a great character and still very knowledgeable about the bike scene.
30-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
Still laughing - affectionately!
I am still chuckling at the thought of Beryl Swain being married to Fred Launchbury. I mean absolutely no disrespect here, because I was proud to call Fred a friend in the 70s, and liked Beryl, but the concept of Beryl Launchbury riding any racing motorcycle, let alone a 50cc racer, is just so rib-tickling!
To those who do not know, the lovable Fred was about 5 foot nothing in his socks, and Beryl looked down on me from her 6 foot-ish (?). Please forgive me Beryl if you read this (and I sincerely hope you are hale & hearty enough to do so)
Fred used to say when they were nose to nose, his toes were in, when they were toes to toes, his nose was in, and when he was in, he had nothing to talk to.................
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
17-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

More memories brought back Peter
Fred, George Todd,one other believe name was Benn, all stayed at same digs at Hilary Park Douglas and shared a workshop with myself and John Kidson.Big friendly arguments over space.
Beryl the tall one was there with Fred,my recollection to this day was the size of the DOG, a retired greyhound, which she used to walk every morning and evening
18-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

The Benn brothers were Sam and Mole - never knew what his real name was - characters in every sense of the word. Mole, I think it was, used to compete at Bisley each year in the "Black Bess" rifle category if I remember correctly, the sort of gun in pirate movies with powder and a flint, as well as racing an old MV. Both Benns were very rapid Bantam racers, and like all the top people in that class and era, brilliant experimental engineers. There is a story about Fred, Sam, a Honda 4, a topless model, and dawn on Wimbledon Common floating around in my memory banks, but best left to stay there!
Fred had I think several greyhounds in succession - "rescue dogs" from the tracks, and on one occassion gave one exercise by driving his VW van down the Norwich Straight at Snetterton with the hound keeping pace just behind!
I don't think anyone will ever persuade me that the modern form of TT bike, as a tarted-up road bike, has an ounce of character compared to the wide range of "proper" racing machines up to the 70s or possibly 80s.
Racing should be the testbed of engineering, with the minimum of restrictions on what you can do, and I count myself very lucky that I was around when there were Honda 6s, MV 3s & 4s, the Paton, MZ strokers, the extraordinary Kreidler 12-speed 50s...............don't tell me that there is the slightest interest in going round the paddock nowadays, when the only thing to admire is a different paint job!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
18-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Well said Peter.
The only interest in modern paddocks is people spotting!

Who can forget the days of walking down pit lane
at the T.T. in the midst of such engineering marvels!
I love seeing up close, the works Bennelis, too.
As well as the wonderful German sidecars outfits.
We have our memories chaps (and chapesses).
What will the modern fan remember?

MV
18-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Website Find Reply