Rutland Hotel
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Rutland Hotel
I hope the Rutland Hotel brush up on their policy before TT2007. A colleague David Hagen, came back to the Island this week 50 years after racing the 1956 Senior Clubman. I collected him from the plane, dropped him at the front door to a dark and totally locked up hotel! A passer by remarked 'they couldn't get any guests, so paid the staff off and closed for the winter' David had booked (and paid in full) a month or so ago, and had travelled from Oregon, he was absolutely pooped. We got him in next door, the Trevelyan (Wasn't it Ducker's Trevelyan in the gool 'ol days, Cyril Ducker being a driving force in the Manx MCC.
We found out that is money is still with Expedia.com who arranged the whole trip, so he has the hassle of getting his accomodation funds back from them. The Rutland has a sister hotel which they were filling, but no one had the courtesy to let David know this before he set out.
We were also told that all guests booked in at the Rutland next year had their bookings cancelled, as the hotel had been brought upi by another hotel chain, they could re-book at double the price. (allegedly)
I trust we will not be called Tourist Takeon 2007.
June at the Tourist board office at the Sea Terminal was most helpful
We went round both courses David had ridden on (he crashed at Nursery Bends in the '55 Clubman and finished 12th in '56; but had great difficulty in recognising either courses, a lot had changed in 50 years. (Full details of David's rides can be found in The History of the Clubman Races, by Fred Pidcock and yours truly, available before TT 2007! (end of commercial plug.
19-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Not in the least surprised. Their recent tirade against the Manx Tourist Board/Government is a cover-up for their own very poor management.
19-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

without getting to involved in this topic there are more cowboys in the tourist industry on the IOM than there are cowboys in texas? think i could write a book but it would take me longer than Ian has been visiting the famous races.
19-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

20-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

9 days on and still no reply from the Rutland, or associated company - perhaps their internet connection is also closed for the winter, hope Expedia.com don't try and book anyone else in there this year!
25-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Website Find Reply