John Hopkins' Dad TT competitor?
Neil C Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
John Hopkins' Dad TT competitor?
I watched a DVD called 'Faster' the other night which contained a bit of history about John and his family. In one of the interviews they said that his dad won a race at the TT but was disqualified when the authorities found out that he was only 15. I know a fair bit about TT history and this sounded like a bit of a tall story to me so I checked the TT database and there is no record of him riding the TT. However, there are a few DNF's by a rider called Hopkins in the MGP around the time this supposedly happened.

Has anyone else heard this and is there any truth to it?

Cheers

Neil
26-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

Neil, I suspect this refers to one of the flat track type races they run in the states. I think some of them were referred to as 'TT' races. There's no way he would have even run at the IOM, never mind won aged 15.
26-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

I presume that this was an American DVD.

In the USA thay have a branch of the sport called TT racing which involves, i think, racing over an artificial scrambles course, with jumps.

It may be one of these events that is referred to.
26-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Find Reply
Neil C Offline
Just Getting Started

It definitely referred to the Isle of Man. His website also says - His father was a keen motorcyclist and former Isle of Man TT road-racer.

Its not a US dvd , its documentary about the 2001/2002 500/Moto Gp seasons.

Cheers

Neil
26-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
Neil C Offline
Just Getting Started

Have to say that I am surprised that none of the regulars have been able to confirm this one way or another - any takers?
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

Hi Neil

I met John Hopkins last year and he told me this same story, but he was very vauge on the detail. I am guessing that it isn't true from the short conversation I had with him.

Paul
01-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

Had to wait to 'borrow' my copy of 'Faster' back (you know what happens!) to check what was said.
Roy Hopkins, John's father is said to have raced in Europe and one interviewee comments "He won the Junior TT but was under age so was disqualified" or something similar.
Cannot find any trace of Roy Hopkins within any of the TT databases.
When John comes to the TT to demo a Moto GP missile in the Classic lap, perhaps we might get more information!!
Not a bad DVD, I bought mine in Canada, not sure it is available in the UK.
01-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Website Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

Faster is excellent and the follow up is out any time now. For more details on the second installment go to http://www.dtkmovie.com.

As for him riding the GSRV in the Parade - do you now something I don't Bill? He did a few laps at Brands a the final BSB round last month on it in the wet and it was awesome!

Paul
01-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Find Reply