Coppocks Chicks
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Coppocks Chicks
I suppose its mt age and impending retirement thats doing this.
My memory seems to be going through some kind of a surge and
all sorts of stuff is being dragged up.
I was in conversation with my very long suffering partner, Pamela a couple of evenings ago.
Dont know why but I suddenly remembered a race team known as Coppocks Chicks.
I have just "done a Google" and it picked up a reference to Steve Henshaw and the fact that Harold Coppock was a chicken farmer from Wiltshire.
I seem to remember that the late Mick Patrick raced for Mr Coppock.
Does ayone else remember anything of siad Harold Coppock and his contribution to our wonderful sport?

MV
19-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

While I was doing some Google research on this topic, I came across this website.

http://www.tz350.net/post_mortem_tz.htm

Hmm, lots of food for thought and emotion etc.

MV
19-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Website Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

as far as i remember Tony Rutter rode for Harold Coppock, and if my memory serves me right he was 2nd or 3rd behind Mike Hailwood in the 500 TT ON THIS BIKE (RG500),
There was someone else, but cant remember who!
19-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

MV Wrote:While I was doing some Google research on this topic, I came across this website. http://www.tz350.net/post_mortem_tz.htm
Hmm, lots of food for thought and emotion etc.MV
Just peeked briefly, but my memory of the untimely death of Pete McKinley (who was the "young blood" as my riding days waned"( was that his helmet strap end had been annoying him (and they can be painful, whipping around the neck) and he sadly chose to try and tuck it in as he hit the bumps around School House ?
Anyone who can confirm this?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
19-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

Kevin Stowe!, that was the other guy i couldnt remember, he was involved in the accident at North West 200, which saw Frank kennedy loose his life, and Warren Willing also got injured.
19-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Website Find Reply
GarryD Offline

Threads: 17

Harold was a regular spectator at the race tracks throughout the country, his bikes were always immaculate. I think his grandaughter is involved in bsb annabelle ? her surname escapes me

Pete McKinley rode for Padgetts whom he worked for also.
Motor cycling, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are childrens games played by adults.
20-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Find Reply
ade! Offline

Threads: 30

last time i saw harold was a few years ago at mallory, still wearing that multi coloured body warmer Big Grin . don't think i ever saw him without it - or the hat, come to think of it.
ade!
ACU? why not add "nt" to the end, you'll get the idea!
20-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Thank you one and all for the comments.
I can honestly say that I have a hige store of memories from this wonderful sport of ours.
Sadly, many not so good ones, but overal, I have enjoyed and AM enjoying the sport.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all and to all involved with the sport.

MV
21-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Website Find Reply
ACM Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

GarryD Wrote:Harold was a regular spectator at the race tracks throughout the country, his bikes were always immaculate. I think his grandaughter is involved in bsb annabelle ? her surname escapes me

Pete McKinley rode for Padgetts whom he worked for also.

Just sitting 'Googling' and searched for my grandfather Harold Coppock, and this site came up. To all of you who have mentioned him, it's nice to know that he is still remembered, and thought of highly - thank you. Unfortunately he died in 1999, but as you said 'he was never to be seen without his deerstalker hat and his red, yellow and blue coat' the colours that he used on his bikes when he sponsored. He was a chicken farmer, but from Oxfordshire not Wiltshire, and he sponsored many people - Tony Rutter, Steve Parrish, Dudley Crammond, Kevin Stowe, Wayne Dinham, Steve Wright and the late Steve Henshaw and Mick Patrick. All of Harold's family were involved in his 'hobby' and most of them still are now. He got me involved when I was a few years old, and the family travelled the country with him to all the events where his riders were, and I have been involved ever since. When I was old enough to marshall I went to the North Glos race meetings to marshall. Harold sponsored classes rather than riders with this club to help the 'newcomers' to the sport and when he passed away I carried on this tradition for several years, before becoming involved in BSB about ten years ago - and I am still there now working in the pitlane!

There is also another racing website that has lots of nostalgia on it and several pictures of Harold's riders if anyone is interested.

Hope this has cleared up some of your queries and memories.
Annabel
06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

What great news,that after all these years, there is still a family involvement.Just goes to show that if it is in your blood, that is where it stays.Good luck to you and thank you on behalf of motorcycle racing
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Find Reply