TT Course
Richard Green Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 3
TT Course
Anyone know why they haven't renamed Ballaspur Milky's yet or why there was never a plaque put up in honor of DJ ??
01-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32

In my opinion, there have to be exceptional circumstances for a bend to be renamed. The 26th milestone was renamed in memory of arguably the greatest rider ever seen on the TT course. I think if you asked the riders, they would prefer Ballaspur to remain as Ballaspur, and not Milky's. No offence to Milky, he's a mate, but you can't go on renaming corners. Now where would we start. Orritt's, Duke's, Hailwoods, Loughers, shall I go on?As for the DJ memorial, I hope there isn't one, purely to honour his grandfather's wishes, (Allan Jefferies), who used to bemoan the presence of memorials as he drove around the course. I can picture him now a good 40 years ago, commenting on the subject, " Before you know what, the course will be covered in memorials". It is a pretty poor advert for motorycling when someone drives round the course and sees one after another. Ironically my father opened the memorials to Les Graham, and Geoff Davison. Anyway, just my opinion, I bet not everyone agrees.
01-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

With you Nick - Ballaspur is Ballaspur and should stay so, as with all the other well-known and long-established corner names.

Don't meddle with history!

For example, all I have to do is think "Hillberry" and the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!!

Wouldn't be the same if it were "Bloggs" :roll:
01-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Find Reply
tripod Offline

Threads: 0

I agree with NickJ, when I go to the TT and Southern the circuit is full of flowers placed here there and everywhere. It's like riding through a cemetery.
Absolutely not a good advert for racing.
You don't need a plaque to remember someone.
02-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Its a relatively new phenomenon that seems to have come from the continent. I remember travelling along a really scary road on Tenerife, looking over a sheer cliff to the rocks below, where people had put their lives at risk to place flowers and build monuments to their loved ones who had fallen over the edge.
Across here in Scotland there have been requests from the police and emergency teams to stop this practice which has been known to cause further accidents as drivers try to see what the flowers are for.
The other thing that bothers me is the kind of public ownership of well known people, which demands that memorials be placed for the benefit of their fans and admirers. This is sometimes also against the wishes of the owners of the place they want to put their memorial.
All part of the whole "celebration of grief" that we saw at its extreme when Diana died. That's very difficult for the people close to the person who died, who deserve our sympathy and respect at that difficult time, but also privacy and their choice of how their loved one is remembered.
Most people would rather be remembered (or have their loved one remembered) by some practical thing like help for others, such as The Joey Dunlop Foundation, the Hailwood Foundation etc.
Sorry about the rant, but I have seen the distress this involvement of well meaning outsiders can cause.
02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
tripod Offline

Threads: 0

that's what I meant to say.
02-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Find Reply