Is £115 mph going to be qualifying speed for next year?
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Is £115 mph going to be qualifying speed for next year?
I know Paul will ground me into the ground for this, but when he mentions that he doesn't see anyone going below 115 or 116 is this an indidcator for just getting an entry for next year?

I have a few worries, ok just concerns, if 115 is going to be around about the qualifying times, and I know the major course changes could have a major influance on this, but could it cause people to try just that little bit too hard? overstep their own ability, especially if they are new to the course.

I know that riding for a major team may add to those preasures but just qualifying is so tough for others who don't have the benefit of such great machinery this could be a speed that they already have in their mind set before the TT even starts because of some comments made in other topics. I think its best to just let them go as fast as they can and within their ability and lets see from there.

I would love to hear what everyone else thinks, and by the way I am not having a go at Paul. I think he is in the toughest position of anyone. He is also on a non winner. No matter what he does its going to be wrong, and can I suggest that everyone trys to work with him to make this TT the best ever. I also hope that Paul listens to us here and at least shows that its not just the top teams he is interested in, as they are the ones who dissapear as quickly as they came when the going gets tough. He has also got to admit that turning down so many people who have supported the TT in the past, when in the daudrums is also maybe a kick in the teeth to those who have their heart in the TT, even just a little. And yes I know that some may not have the times to justify entry, but let qualifying sort that out.

I just hope that not all the cash being spent is going on more jollies for the top teams prior to the TT. Lets have another round of press conferences that really don't interest people but costs a shed load of cash to fly them over and put up in hotels and free beer for all. Can I suggest that it goes on covers for those red post boxes all over the place. Just a thought.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
02-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Re: Is £115 mph going to be qualifying speed for next year?
Hi mate

I don't have the energy to go into my normal detail at the minute so I will be very brief and apologise if I miss anything.

DCLUCIE Wrote:I know Paul will ground me into the ground for this, but when he mentions that he doesn't see anyone going below 115 or 116 is this an indidcator for just getting an entry for next year?

Not quite what I said. I think (and it is certainly not just my own personal opinion) that it is fair to say that if the fastest man on track is lapping at 130mph, it woul dbe a good thing if the slowest was lapping as fast as possible. I think, and don't mind admitting that I could be wrong, that all the riders this year will lap at over 115mph by the end of the fortnight. In 04 there were riders lapping in the 90mph mark, two years later there were only two who didn't manage 110mph, so things are moving up fast.

DCLUCIE Wrote:I have a few worries, ok just concerns, if 115 is going to be around about the qualifying times, and I know the major course changes could have a major influance on this, but could it cause people to try just that little bit too hard? overstep their own ability, especially if they are new to the course.

It isn't the qualifying time. As for the newcomers, they are given every possible opportunity to learn the circuit, bags of advice from experienced riders, plus they all come with strong CV's. The last two years have shown that most have been able to do 115mph or close in the first year, however none are under any pressure to do so. The actual qualifying times are much lower.

DCLUCIE Wrote:I know that riding for a major team may add to those preasures but just qualifying is so tough for others who don't have the benefit of such great machinery this could be a speed that they already have in their mind set before the TT even starts because of some comments made in other topics. I think its best to just let them go as fast as they can and within their ability and lets see from there.

Agreed. BTW - all solo riders qualified last year bar one who had a few problems. In previous years there were always several who didn't manage to, or were allowed to start with the discretion of the CoC.

DCLUCIE Wrote:I would love to hear what everyone else thinks, and by the way I am not having a go at Paul. I think he is in the toughest position of anyone. He is also on a non winner. No matter what he does its going to be wrong, and can I suggest that everyone trys to work with him to make this TT the best ever. I also hope that Paul listens to us here and at least shows that its not just the top teams he is interested in, as they are the ones who dissapear as quickly as they came when the going gets tough. He has also got to admit that turning down so many people who have supported the TT in the past, when in the daudrums is also maybe a kick in the teeth to those who have their heart in the TT, even just a little. And yes I know that some may not have the times to justify entry, but let qualifying sort that out.

Thanks for not having a go at me mate. Just one point from me on this - the so called top teams that have started to come to the TT over the past three years are hopefully here to stay, and the plan has always been to make the entry as strong as possible to do justice to the event. I am confident that we can improve from this point, although there will of course by the odd dip along the way - not next year though I am certain.

DCLUCIE Wrote:I just hope that not all the cash being spent is going on more jollies for the top teams prior to the TT. Lets have another round of press conferences that really don't interest people but costs a shed load of cash to fly them over and put up in hotels and free beer for all. Can I suggest that it goes on covers for those red post boxes all over the place. Just a thought.

Just to make one thing very clear on this - our Press Conferences, especially the one tomorrow, fulfil sponsorship commitments and significantly help us achive our PR tagets which are so important to our paymasters. Having been to a meeting today which will have significant financial implications on road racing on the Island in the future, I am more confident than ever, that the commerical approach applied to the TT right now is the only way to ensure it's future. Social expectations are changing and times are VERY hard!

Night

Paul
02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Many thanks for the reply Paul. I take it then that the PR stuff has to be done due to the sponsorship deals that have been signed over the next few years. Thats fair play as long as not all of the cash they have spent on sponsorship basically goes on the PR stuff and not into the TT itself.

DOn't reply in detail Paul as I think you do enough to answer our questions. In fact I will answer for you:-

Non of the sponsorship monies go on PR, The PR budget is totally seperate and is part of the Government funding exercise.

There you go ......

Oh Paul yes I am more than willing to help out. I have PM'd my details to you.

As always I hope everyone has a great time, even the corncrake boogieing on down in the Peel Festival car park.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14

I think 115mph lap is probably a reasonable time to expect riders to achieve as a qualifying speed. I know 115mph sounds like a high speed to reach just to qualify but as Paul mentioned when riders are doing 130mph laps it is in everyones interests that the 'slower' riders are doing a pretty quick pace as well. I do think the 'support' race idea is a good one and maybe food for thought for the future. I also think that as the TT is now getting 'superquick' then riders who cannot reach perhaps the 115mph speed, (if that becomes the qualifying time) should then be allowed to go into the MGP instead, I know this topic has been debated at great length on most boards already but 'almost' all the riders need to be catered for if they wish to race on the mountain course and of course at the moment if you've done the TT you cannot then do the MGP anymore, which could, and is, effectivly stopping riders from riding on the circuit most of them have based their whole racing career on.
Cheers
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Website Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

Hi The Bag,but who gets selected for the MGP as that is also over subscribed.

You just have to admit it we all have to call it a day sometime even if we don't want to.
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Find Reply