Brian Banglestein
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Brian Banglestein
In the 60s there was a rider of the above name who rode the Manx, I understand it to have been a nom-de-plume as he (allegedly) booked into a hotel, then spent the MGP period in a bed and breakfast from where he rode his Manx, returning to the hotel to check out and leave the Island.
"If it's a lie I'm telling it's a lie I was told"
It is long enough ago not to cause any waves if his wife/girlfriend/parents did not know.
I remember another top-3 rider from many years ago who said "every rider leaves a girlfriend in the Isle of Man"
19-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I remember him, and I think he used to wear a wig. He would go to the toilets to take off his helmet and put on the wig, and vice versa.
I may be confusing two people here, but there was someone who had to use an alias, as his work would not have allowed him to race.
20-10-2007, 05:54 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

I'm not even sure what Bill S's quiz question was here, but for what it's worth Brian Banglestein had two MGP finishes, each on a Manx Norton.

1975 he was 45th in the Senior Manx, and in 1976 he came in 48th in the Junior MGP.

I know nothing about wigs . . . . . . . . . . Smile
21-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Find Reply
barbara wood Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2

I haven't been on this site for a while since I went back to work, but I was intrigued by the quiz forum. Just my kind of thing!!
Totally off the top of my head, and without any recourse to old books or programmes etc, I agree with Helen's claim of him being in "disguise". I can remember him racing in the Manx and Southern 100 between around 1973 and 1976, on a Manx Norton with a white fairing with "Buxwell Equipe" written on the side. In about 1976, he remained on the island after the Southern and appeared at Jurby Airfield meeting, another rider named S. Jeffries also rode a similar Buxwell Equipe 500 Norton at the same meeting.
I was told by a reliable friend of mine that he wore the long wig and sunglasses as disguise because it was in an attempt to keep the fact he was racing on the island hushed-up, for whatever reason. He used the name B.T.M. Banglestein which was in reference to a track on one of the Beatles albums called "test tickles to Mr Banglestein".
I would imagine that he was one of those who was forced to cease riding in the Manx when he reached the age of 40, which back in the 70's was the upper age limit for competing in the MGP. Many riders who were at the peak of their careers were never seen again on the TT course, either because they were unable to compete in the TT, or had no desire to do so.
OK, like I said, all that info is straight from the top of my head. Am I right, or can someone else correct me or add any more?
24-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5

AAARRGGHHH Sorry, I wrote that, not my mother. So much for shared computers!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
24-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Now who's travelling under disguise, Barry :?:

What colour's the wig :?: :?:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
24-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Find Reply