Bit cloudy but no problem
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Bit cloudy but no problem
I still can not figure out why todays practive was cancelled. No rain, bit cold but can not see a reason why they couldn't have run the Superbike race at least, if not the sidecar race was only three laps, pleanty of time.

I think that the descision makers may be running to scared to make a descision just in case its the wrong one, and before anyone starts shouting, yes I can understand, but this isn;t the first time and even if there was a down pour or fog rolling in then it isn't too hard to stop the race is it?

Was just wondering what others thought?
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

Must admit I agree with you.

It leaves me very surprised that the races were called off, as I have seen far worse conditions where races have been permitted to start and then stopped when it did get too bad for anyone to continue.

Health & Safety for all concerned, of course has to be taken into consideration and after all, the decision would not have been taken lightly (I hope).

Just an additional thought, How are those guys and girls who have only managed to come over for the day to see these two races going to feel ? Mmmm !!!!!!!!
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Website Find Reply
samwise Offline

Threads: 4

It was cloudy/misty up on the Mountain, especially the Mountain Mile to Bungalow sections, and they decided that the helicopters didn't have enough visibility to land in those sections.
02-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Website Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

Sitting in my armchair at home in sunny Norfolk I would not attempt to be critical of the decision,but looking at conditions at 3pm on the webcams all I can assume is that these webcams are a waste of space as they are showing allmost ideal racing conditions.
I hope not,but the organisers may regret losing todays programme as weather is a funny thing.
Glad in my days they did not have such a health&safety approach or we could have been stuck there till July. Even on a hot day you could shovel the molten tar off the road at the bungalow crossing.
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

i was at quarter bridge, and about 10 mins after roads were opened, i decided to check out conditions myself, mountain, was very foggy in places, and also very windy, me thinks it was deffo correct decision
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Website Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

Can'nt argue with that Baylon lets hope the weather improves for the next 7 days.Nowadays the clerk of the course has a huge responsibiliy compared with yesteryear.
02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Some friends who were up on the mountain said the conditions were dreadful. The wind was terrible. They were in agreement with the decision. I think it just surprised us all in Douglas and around because we had not had any mentions of the weather up until the cancellation .
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
manxphotos Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2

I was at the Bungalow, and the hill fog was so low when I got there at 10:15am that you couldn't see Brandywell. It lifted, but then came back to almost the same level within 1/2 hour of the intended start time. Very damp on the road on the mountain section which was not really drying either. Also started to rain about the same time that the cancellation was announced. Keeping an eye on the mountain during the rest of the day the hill fog didn't seem to lift all day, so definitely the right decision, made early enough so that all involved didn't have to stand around unnecessarily.
02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Arrr what happened to the olds days when you raced in anything...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

But then again the throttle works both ways lol

Never forget the Chris Guy thing way back when he rode 13 and the race was stopped because some old person phoned in from the mountain and said it should be called off after he pulled out. It was pouring with rain and he rode really well and thoughly deserved the race win, but there you go.

Any other famous bad weather races, what about Joey's 250 two lapper. I seem to remember it started out as a three lapper and was cut back, some re fueld on the second for the flyer at the end, Joey went straight through.... a master at work.......
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
03-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Perhaps about 10 well placed hi-tech web-cams located carefully around the course and displayed alternatively on a big screen at the grandstand might keep everyone informed and therefore understanding of the difficult decisions taken. But there I go being constructive again.
They could even put them on a website and those with laptops could tune in anywhere.
Always found in business that the more people are informed and consulted the less problems for management.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
03-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Well said, Don. As a marshal, I do not want races run in conditions where riders lives (and ours) are put at unnecessary risk. However, there is an atmosphere of cynical and suspicious conspiracy theory which questions every move made by the organisers, and can never say "Well done". I am fed up with that, frankly (and I thought I was a cynic!), but I think it is fed by obscure and secretive procedures.More open governance please.
In the meantime...
I agree wholeheartedly with yesterday's decison
I think the 2007 TT so far is amazing and stunning
We should all be concentrating on the positive aspects
Just look how many people are here, and how may of them are having a really good time, and not looking for faults.
So
Go around smiling at everyone... if they are innocently enjoying themselves they will join you... if not, they will be very worried in case you know something!
03-06-2007, 07:15 AM
ALP Offline

Threads: 2

It was cancelled mainly due to the mist on the mountain which meant that the AirMed helicopters couldn't get to all the course. We also started getting reports of Rain up on the mountain.

I agree that around most of the course conditions were ideal but unless it is OK around all 37 and a bit miles of the course, then the race is a no no.

The Weather for today (Sunday) was even worse which is why they didn't even attempt to try and run it today. The Met Office feel that it should clear up by Monday.

Whilst the nice high-tech Webcams would be nice, the Clerk of the Course much prefers to send a helicopter up into the air to report on the conditions and speaks to the Met Office every 10 minutes to see what the weather radar is saying. We are constantly getting weather reports in from the Marshals and Civil Defence people around the whole course and also people in Peel, Ramsey, South etc who can give us the heads up that a shower is heading across the island and how fast it is moving.

Speaking to the Police last night, it had been misty up on the mountain most of the day so if we had held the roads closed, we still wouldn't of had any racing yesterday.

Fingers crossed for Monday.

Andrew.
03-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48

Don Simons Wrote:Perhaps about 10 well placed hi-tech web-cams located carefully around the course and displayed alternatively on a big screen at the grandstand might keep everyone informed and therefore understanding of the difficult decisions taken. But there I go being constructive again.
They could even put them on a website and those with laptops could tune in anywhere.
Always found in business that the more people are informed and consulted the less problems for management.

Exellent idea once again Don!
03-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Find Reply