TT returnees
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
TT returnees
Amongst the ex-TT riders who we have met so far is someone whose name does not feature in TT records, but he set a significant milestone.
Sonny Angel from California came across for the 1960 Lightweight with the first Yamaha to grace the TT course. For whatever reason, the bike eat up pistons every time he went and he failed to qualify.
Still running a Moto Guzzi dealership, he has a fascinating scrapbook with him showing his racing and Bonneville record attempts that he sponsored.
He is just one of many ex-riders who are here for the week.
Sonny is one rider I cannot find a picture of within FoTTofinders (Plug!). Another visitor, Bill Donnelly, seized up just as he left Bray Hill in the 1969 Lightweight; we have a picture of him at Bray Hill!
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Not a TT photo Bill but a good one of two great motorcyclists.
[Image: 020220071646014389.jpg]
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
05-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Find Reply
Marco Offline

Threads: 16

Bill, that of the not-qualified TT riders is a very interesting historical subject. How much are they? Who knows it!
And the introduction of the TT untimed practice sessions has done the things more complicated. Take the example of Thomas Montano this year and do not consider the fact that he already has a long TT career: he was out on the TT course during saturday untimed practices (and I think he completed at least one lap) but a road trafic accident on sunday put him out of the TT. The question is: has his participation to the 2007 TT practices been officially recorded?

So we can analyze the subject of the not qualified TT riders in this way:

1. riders who completed at least a TT course lap in a timed TT practice.
2. riders who did not complete a TT course lap in a timed TT pratice.
3. riders who run the TT course only in untimed TT practices (they can or can not have completed at least a TT course lap).

This could be a subject for a new TT book!
05-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

What is interesting also is the number of sidecar passengers who have never been listed in any records due to just the rider being listed. I think that this is a major shame and something that should be sorted out. Sidecar passengers are always forgotten and are always over looked.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Find Reply
Marco Offline

Threads: 16

DCLUCIE Wrote:What is interesting also is the number of sidecar passengers who have never been listed in any records due to just the rider being listed. I think that this is a major shame and something that should be sorted out. Sidecar passengers are always forgotten and are always over looked.

Yes,you're right! It's the same thing I have often thought from myself (and we are not the only to think this) . Sidecar passengers are TT riders as all the others - and this is unfortunately evidenced by the fact that many TT sidecar passengers have paid the supreme tribute on the TT course.
The fact is that a definitive history of the TT races (and riders) is very far from having been written.
05-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Have just checked the TT database and even this is missing some local passengers, so of whom are no longer with us, but were true characters.

Hey Fitzy remember 'No Marbs', he isn't listed and this is such a shame as he was a great passenger, or should I say character.

Will start a thread of passengers and see how many we get.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
05-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Find Reply