Best Newcomer
Harvey T Offline

Threads: 16
Best Newcomer
Who is this TT newcomer Gary Johnson? He certainly outshone a whole host of good riders in the superstock race.

Anstey
McGuinness
Hutchinson
Finnegan
Cummins
Parrett
McBride
Pattinson
Carswell
Armstrong
Johnson
Beattie
Lougher
Plater
Oates
Buckley
Amor
Shand
Palmer
Let the dug see the rabbit.
06-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Don't forget Harvey Connor Cummins is a newcomer. He wanted to do the Manx first but was persuaded to do the TT instead. Bet he is glad of it now....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Find Reply
jasjas Offline

Threads: 12

No. Conor Cummins was a newcomer last year, but he also rode well then.
06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15

Take no notice of Chicken George (DCLUCIE) his mind is not what it once was :wink:
06-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

It is 2006 isn't it?
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I was impressed by young Jimmie Moore.
A really nice guy, too.

MV
10-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Website Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14

The newcomers times have been good this year and I think Paul and his team of selectors have generally done a good job with their selections. We must though however put the times into context with the race winning times. Back in 1990 when Hizzy did 120mph, a newcomer who did 105mph was 15 mph off the pace, so to speak, but a lap of 105 mph was seen as reasonable and so it should. But now if a newcomer does 115mph it is seen as remarkable when in real terms its still 15mph of the pace.
So the general times are still in persepective, but I think given the fact that Steve Plater has done over 125mph as a newcomer that surely makes him the best newcomer this year?
His time has nothing to do with having a quicker bike than some of the lesser known riders as we've seen the superbikes are not any quicker than the superstockers, they just handle better and either bike in the hands of a newcomer will be virtually the same. He would also have had alot more pressure on his shoulders than lesser known riders simply due to who he is, not pressure applied by teams, or himself or the spectators but pressure of thinking that everyone will expect him to go well. This pressure would have made it harder for him.
So in my opinion it is Steve Platers pure determination, grit,ability and want to suceed that has made him achieve this time.
Well done to all competitors this year for what seemed from Nottingham and my limited access to have been a fantastic event, albeit without any 2 strokes :wink:
Cheers
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
10-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I was massively impressed by Steve Plater and by his level-headed approach. He has made a remarkable transition from short circuits to the TT (OK, I know about his NW experience, but that's a different thing altogether ... a bit of a long short circuit, not the mountain course).
Friendly, approachable and awesomely talented... the next big thing???
10-06-2007, 09:50 AM
balin Offline

Threads: 10

thewitch Wrote:I was massively impressed by Steve Plater and by his level-headed approach. He has made a remarkable transition from short circuits to the TT (OK, I know about his NW experience, but that's a different thing altogether ... a bit of a long short circuit, not the mountain course).
Friendly, approachable and awesomely talented... the next big thing???

Certainly needed a level head on Weds pm practice lap.... :shock:

[Image: Plater.jpg]
10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Find Reply