Parade lap
jasjas Offline

Threads: 12
Parade lap
Does anyone agree that it would be lovely if all the top three placed riders/sidecar teams in each of the races were to take part in a final parade. John McGuiness plainly enjoyed going round at a speed where he could appreciate and wave to the enormous crowds and it was excellent to see him go past at a speed at which you could take in the sight of the man and machine together. It would only have meant an extra few starters in the Parade of Champions.
12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

Nah don't agree.
12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

I like the idea! smilie
12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141

yep i agree, i would liked to have seen more bikes, maybe i am just greedy!
12-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I think that's a very good idea... when the organisers ask for feedback make sure you put it forward.
12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Yes,good idea and put their initials on their number plates so new fans can recognise them all.
If there must be a parade lap then my thoughts are that it should be slowed right down and spaced out so people can get a good look at the machinery and riders.
Currently by the time you have focused on Ago going out of sight, Jim Redman is right in front of you, either that or they go past in a pack of five riders so you can't hear them individually.
Also a lot more participants are needed as the parade laps I have seen are over in a flash.

If it were possible to put on another race for classic bikes, or something different from the producion bikes, instead of a parade lap, then I feel the spectators would at least go home with a varied experience.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
13-06-2007, 04:03 AM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65

Don Simons Wrote:Yes,good idea and put their initials on their number plates so new fans can recognise them all.
If there must be a parade lap then my thoughts are that it should be slowed right down and spaced out so people can get a good look at the machinery and riders.
Currently by the time you have focused on Ago going out of sight, Jim Redman is right in front of you, either that or they go past in a pack of five riders so you can't hear them individually.
Also a lot more participants are needed as the parade laps I have seen are over in a flash.

If it were possible to put on another race for classic bikes, or something different from the producion bikes, instead of a parade lap, then I feel the spectators would at least go home with a varied experience.

Absolutely!

I adore/love/worship/crave .... insert superlative here /.....
the vintage and classic machines. There's something evocative about the sound of these wonderful machines and the unmistakeable smell of 2-stokes takes me right back to my childhood when I was allowed - as a very special treat - a ride down to the local shops on the back of my Uncle's BSA or Norton! Happy days indeed.

I enjoyed the re-enactment; the Pre-TT Classics at Billown and both Laps of Honour of the Mountain course, but do prefer it when the machines are released in ones or twos (on their own is preferable), with a decent gap in between to give one the chance to savour the memories and appreciate the details - as well as (from a professional point of view!) get decent photos.

When the machines all come through at speed in a great big blast-from-the past (literally), it's very exciting, I agree, but it's over in a flash and there's then a feeling of anti-climax. You miss half the machines/riders and can't indentify the tone of individual machines from the cacophony - Ok, it's a din!- of all the machines together. I also suspect that the noise-abatement killjoys have a field day when this happens, whereas 1/2 machines together is within tolerable limits IMO.

Having said that, the classic races themselves are superb and it's great to see these older machines (and reproductions) doing what they were intended to do, instead of just gathering dust in a garage or looking good on display somewhere. Keep the machines in fine fettle, by all means, but RIDE them as well - keep the memories alive whilst we still can.

To sum up, I'd like to see "Lap(s) of Honour with no more than 2 bikes together; the riders easily identified, at sensible time intervals and also Classic race(s) on the TT mountain course as well as down at Billown.

Finally, I nearly forgot to say that the current champions should also take part and have their chance to "bimble" round the course to see (and be seen by) their numerous and appreciative fans.

Right, I'm getting down off my soapbox now....

Boakesey
....scone out to take photos!
13-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Find Reply
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13

Don Simons Wrote:If it were possible to put on another race for classic bikes, or something different from the producion bikes, instead of a parade lap, then I feel the spectators would at least go home with a varied experience.

I did write to the powers that be last year with a couple of suggestions to make the centenary races different, for a one off.

I suggested a 3 lap Classic Race, consisting of machines up to 1976, with 3 classes. up to 250, 251 to 500 and 501 to 750, and a 10 lap production race, one machine, two riders.
I did not get a reply.
14-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

lets try to keep the classic bikes at the Southern 100. They cause enough problems to be put on the race schedule.

Yes I know you all may like them but are you trying to turn the TT into a classic race meeting?

As for trying to keep all of the parade entrants in order..... well best of luck with that one, I think you would have more chance of having a freindly chat with a hungry tiger than keeping a few of the old guard behind each other.

You only have to look at the way Mr Dunlop decided to treat the parade. Flat out back to the stop and head down. He was actually being timed by someone in the pit lane, totally irresponcible. Yes some people would love to see them all like that but unfortunately a parade is just that, a parade and has restrictions on the speed, according to the liscence that allows such things.

Part from that I loved the chance of seeing my old heroes and a few of my new ones. But how the organisers are going to control it apart from putting a TM between each one, who knows.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
14-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Find Reply
Rocket Man Offline

DCLUCIE Wrote:lets try to keep the classic bikes at the Southern 100. They cause enough problems to be put on the race schedule.

Yes I know you all may like them but are you trying to turn the TT into a classic race meeting?

I think you have completly missed the point i was making.

My suggestion was for the Centenary Year ONLY.
The organisers in my opinion had the oppertunity to make the centenary year on the track something really special, but what we got was the same format, as previous years.
As for trying to turn the TT into a classic bike meeting, you could not be further from the truth, but could explain why you think that the inclusion of a classic bike race in the TT causes problems?
14-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
14-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Watch it Dave - when one starts talking about "plugging loopholes", one is usually considered to be punting for a Green? Blue? - a blazer, anyway.

You're not that old yet, surely, and we've more than enough Parkers, Nelsons, Hillabys etc. without generating more :!: :!:

:wink:
14-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Find Reply
Rocket Man Offline

DCLUCIE Wrote:Although I can appreciate the feeling it must bring back to the riders, and I spent most of my youth with my nose shoved up a TZ g's exhaust pipe loving every little bit of Castrol R I could get.

Can't be good for your health with your nose shoved up a smelly 2-stroke exhaust Lol
15-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23

I agree with DCLUCIE the parade laps are now,and in my opinion,have always been for silly old farts who still think they are 25 years old and can still go fast(they can't) or guys who are pretty quick but don't have the sense to know what a parade is.

If they want to impress us with their ability then go back to racing,but of course they couldn't cut could they.

I my sound a miserable git but I did really enjoy the lap of champions.
15-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Rocket Man Wrote:
DCLUCIE Wrote:Although I can appreciate the feeling it must bring back to the riders, and I spent most of my youth with my nose shoved up a TZ g's exhaust pipe loving every little bit of Castrol R I could get.

Can't be good for your health with your nose shoved up a smelly 2-stroke exhaust Lol

Arrrrr the good old days with no health and safety person telling you 'you carn't do this and you carn't do that'....... great days.... halsian days of yoar when people could do what they want, when they want and if it hurt them, they didn't care because it made them feel alive, and to tell you the truth thats what it is all about, making you feel alive.

Now the only thing that makes you feel alive is trying to dodge all the 'lets be careful signs'
15-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Oh as for the Manx.... Mr Lougher and Mr Palmer entered and entries accepted.

What ever happened to anyone riding in the TT not being able to ride again in the Manx?

Is it that if you ride a classic you should be able to ride even if you have won a TT? I personnally believe that this shouldn't happen and the Manx should be kept to National riders only.

What does everyone else think?
15-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

One thing refreshing about Japan is that you don't have to wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle - and nobody does.
There are millions of them and they ride like maniacs but I have never once seen a bicycle accident here, ever. You just get out there and live on your wits and take your chances.

I am sick of hearing the language of fear:-

Watch out!
Be careful!
Take care!
Dangerous!
Look out!
Don't!
No!
Hazardous!

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
16-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Find Reply