Southern 100 Feedback
maggie Offline

Threads: 7

I'd like to see a similar type of questionnaire, aimed solely at riders, which should be sent out to all participants of this year's event. I understand that a few have already been consulted but it would be only fair to give the others a chance to express their opinion and maybe some might come up with different ideas from those others.
As already mentioned, there are very few weekends in the summer where there wouldn't be a clash with some other meeting, causing riders to choose one or the other and detracting from both!
As an aside, my friend (rider) gave a big "thumbs down" to the shiny tar too, Beepee!
22-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Good point. No point in attracting lots of tourists by making arrangements to suit them, if the riders then don't enter, because it does't suit them. They are, after all, the prime attraction (apart from the gorgeous Isle of Man).
22-07-2007, 07:28 AM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

I know I am going to get slated for this, but don't you think that the Southern Club runs a pretty good meeting anyway.

The problem with all these questionaires is two fold:-

1) If those that fill in the forms and send them in with possibly many good ideas, see that there is no changes made to a race program, then there will be people saying what was the actual point?

2) If there are small changes made then people will pick holes in the ones made and say why wasn't this done instead.

I think it is good to get feedback, but think that this format of asking what would you change is making a rod for the back of the organisers. Look at what happened with the TT. There were major changes made by dropping the 2 strokes and look at the reaction that had.

I think that Southern format is a good one for many reasons. For one it is a great supporter of the 2 strokes, and to tell you the truth I can see that continuing for many years. I also believe that the organisers look to put a meeting on that the riders love coming to. Its the old adage that if you put a great meeting on then the riders will come and because of that, the people will come to watch. How many opportunities do people get on the Island now to see 2 strokers raced in anger round a road circuit?

Anyway thats my own personal view, but what the heck noone listens to me anyway.... :wink: :wink: Lol Lol
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
22-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15

I think the ACU/FIM officials want to get their own house in order before slating (sorry I mean make constructive criticism) at the Southern 100.

During racing, I believe it was one Me E Nelson (although having never met him personally I can't be sure) and an FIM Rep wandered up from the paddock to Ctown Corner.

They started to cross the rope and walk to the other side of the road and were told to STOP but blatantly carried on walking over the road.

When they made it over and were challenged by the Sector Marshall they then flashed the badges on their ACU shirts....note no official tabbards or anything to distinguish then from joe public.

There were told 'I don't give a damn who you are....when you are asked to stop it is for yours and everyone elses safety' but still seemed uninterested.

To me it just seems to be an excuse for the ACU to have another 'Jolly' without really having a clue what road racing is all about.

It would seem that there are some very good people in race offices who know what is going on but it also seems that the higher up the racing organisational ladder you get, the less of a clue you have about how to operate a meeting.

I doubt most people in the ACU have a clue what a racing morotcycle is, although they do seem to know the meaning of 'Free Hospitality'

You know I feel so much better, been dying to get that off my chest.
22-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Find Reply