Why do we do it?
thewitch
Unregistered

Why do we do it?
Why do we race ourselves and encourage and support our loved ones to do the same, knowing that days like yesterday will happen?
Well, noone knows better than Stella how bad things can be, but this is what she had to say today on another website:

"Just home and yes it was raining .... We had a good day out with Grant though, back to the bottom rung of the ladder at only his 3rd ever road race meeting.

Qualified 34th finnished 16th in his race and 7th production bike home

Was great to see the smiles as he came into parc ferme and it reminded me just why we go racing

Because we want to, no pressure just a sport that the kids were born into, and as parents how proud we must be that they spend their hard earned money enjoying a hobby that allows them to express themselves on track, make so many friends and a pleasure to be around. "

Copied with Stella's permission.
21-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Was discussing the same thing yesterday with a friend, both of us being around the sport of motorcycling for many, many years and yes, losing a few mates along the way, but we are now involved in junior speedway and thoroughly enjoy watching the kids become grown ups, in a sport of their choice with their families fully supporting them. For some it's a hobby as they know they will never reach the heights they would love to attain but whatever their talent, the fact that mums, dads, grandparents, aunts and uncles are there with them, and their motorcycle 'familiy' will always be around to encourage them is why it's such a wonderful sport, and that's why we all do it.
21-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

Just an addition to my previous post. My friend has been a widow for over 30 years. Her husband owned road and trail bikes, he raced speedway sidecars and, unfortunately in his thirties, lost his life in a train accident.
22-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

What an interesting question and one surely to draw more responses.
I can understand individuals rising to the challenge of racing. I even gave it a go myself, very belatedly. I was 39 when I had my dabble and accident at Cadwell Park. It seems that I was lucky to survive my scarey fall at the Gooseneck. Looking back, I wouldnt have missed being out there for the world. Unless you have been the other side of the fence yourself, you cannot know what its like. Even a practice day at Snetterton or Rissington makes you buzz all over. What its like to win, I can only guess.
Yes, I can undersand he individual doing it.
The people that truly amze me and fill me with admiration are familys like the Mussons and Stella and family.
You people are truly amazing.

I love this sport and have done now for 50 years.
It can be so cruel at times heaven knows, but there are such good times and such wonderful people to meet and know.

I am also a football fan, but it really does annoy me when the word tragedy is used during a match.
Such a misuse of the word.
So many people on here truly understand the word.

Love light and peace to you all

MV
22-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
TT
In the 60 years I have been going to the TT I have lost a number of close friends to the sport yet we all return year after year.

However, I do not think any other losses have affected me personally quite as much as Joey D at Tallinn and Steve H in the helicopter crash. Neither of these were on the TT course but over time we become such a family which is tied together by a common bond based on the Island and the loss becomes a personal one.

There are others like big D, Chris Horn, Tom Phillis and Ralph Rensen from all eras plus Marie Lambert, all of whom stay in my memory.

We must continue to remember, with enormous affection, the Hailwoods, McIntyres, Williams etc since they were, and still are such a part of TT History.

We earthbound people still go on with our lives and I hope that is what we all continue to do, we can't bring our losses back, but what a joy it has been to have known them, all participating in such a great sporting event.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
22-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Website Find Reply