Alan Shepherd
thewitch
Unregistered

Alan Shepherd
It is sad to record the death of MGP winner and TT rider, Alan Shepherd. Alan had been ill for some time. I believe this was related to old injuries. Condolences to his family and friends.
26-07-2007, 05:57 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Sad news.
Alan was a hero of my era.
Lots of good memories.
RIP Alan, and condolences to his loved ones

MV
26-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Why do we always lose the nicest people far too bloody soon??

Alan was a kind, modest, gentleman who would never have accepted that he was a star.

Comparisons with others could be drawn, but I refrain.

Just to say "rest in peace Alan - you made this world a better place for very many of us"

God Bless

Sad
26-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23

Alan was from my racing era and I remember him well. His passing is not unexpected as he had been in poor health for several years but was a fighter to the end,even attending the TTRA annual dinner in 2004 with his nurse. He had plenty of bottle as anyone had to have to ride the works MZ 2 strokes in their infancy.
Under the chequered flag Alan RIP
26-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Allan Shepherd
I was saddened to hear of Allan's passing, but as has been said, he had been ill for a long time, and never really got over his massive crash on a works Honda in 1964.
I can't let his passing go without recording my absolute admiration of Allan when I was a youngster. This all started when he was working at our shop in the fifties, (Allan Jefferies Motorcycles). I can still see him now, roaring up our street on his Gold Star,(bobby dodger lights, and front regd no across a racing number plate).
Then after winning the 58 Junior Manx, he actually led John Surtees at the 59 Ulster, and even though he retired in the race, MV's insisted his 7R was measured. It was legal. A long and successful association with Walter Kaaden followed, but did you know that Allan was the first man to lap the TT course on a single from a standing start. This was the 1962 Senior, and he fell off at Braddan on the 2nd lap!. Even today a 100mph lap on a single is only done by a rider who's well on the pace. This was 45 years ago.
Anyway, Allan never won a TT, surely the best rider ever not to win, he was runner up in the 64 Lightweight. However such was his reputation that he was signed up by Honda for the 1965 season. The crash on a 350 four effectively ended his career, and those who knew him will accept that he never really recovered. I am sure others will have stories of Allan that will be worth hearing.
Very sad my friends, but I thought you may like to know a little of him from an original fan.
The funeral is at Cartmel Priory, nr Grange over Sands tomorrow, (Friday 27th) at 2.00pm.
26-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Thanks for that Nick.
As a simple fan at the time, I admired his talent and fighting spirit.
He was another of those typical Brit racers. The quiet gent who really
got on with it when the flag dropped.
Your memories really added colour Nick.
I must say that I didnt know that Alan worked for your dad.
The image of the 7R was similar to a mate of mine who came to
school on one, complete with a school cap. Very much of the time.

My lasting memory of Alan will be how he gave the MVs run on a
British single. Briliant.

RIP Alan.

MV
27-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Website Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
alan shepherd
Sad to read ,Alan stayed with us when he raced at oulton .I have a photo of me ,astride the 7r,12yrs old.Bob mac,al king Dminter,Gordon bell,plus bagpipes.Great era,stars in their own right .great memorioes.
PITLANE 07
27-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Alan
I also would like to add my condolences.

I too was a fan of Alan Shepherd and on the Island would visit him and the Team when they stayed just further up the road and consequently have a number of good photos of him.

At the time we were looking forward to him racing the MV so were greatly saddened by his crash which, as Nick said, cut short his career.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RRR
Sorry, I meant HONDA not MV ...
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
27-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Website Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

ABOTHER OF THE OLD SCHOOL GENTLEMEN RACERS UNDER THE CHEQUERED FLAG.

NICK GIVES A VERY GOOD DESCRIPION OF YHE MAB AND HIS CHARACTER, A TRUE DEDICATED ROAD RACER AND A QUIET GENTLEMAN.

LASR SAW HIM IN THE LATE SEVENTIES WHEN HE CALLED ON ME ON THE WIRRAL A FEW TIMES, I FOUND IT QUITE DISTRESSING TO SEE SUCH A TALENTED MAN IN SUCH BAD SHAPE FROM HIS ACCIDENT, AS HE SAT THERE TRYING TO RECOLLECT PAST EVENTS, HE WOULD STOP IN MID SENTENCE AND SIT THERE FOR A MINUTE OR SO OBVIOUSLY STRUUGLING TO REMEMBR WHAT HE WANTED TO SAY.

A TRAGIC END TO A GREAT CAREER, A REAL PRIVILEGE TO HAVE KNOWN HIM
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
27-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Find Reply
GarryD Offline

Threads: 17

Just like to add my condolences, I never had the pleasure of seeing this great man race. But my Dad has told me many mnay times what a fantastic rider Alan was world class superb style etc.

I've always been facinated with these great racer's and remember reading an article about Alan. He drove all over the continent alone doing his own spannering etc, a truly remarkable man rest in peace Alan you will never be forgotten
Motor cycling, mountain climbing and bull fighting are the only true sports. All the rest are childrens games played by adults.
27-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Find Reply