Settle an argument
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Vids
Wow, I'd forgotten about this excellent series, especially the very early ones including 1939 to 1957.

I have seen them and hoped they would come out on DVD.......Is yours a DVD Helen ??

When glens were open, and everyone went by coach to the beauty spots.

I must get them..
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
16-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Website Find Reply
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know which one to purchase? please anybody tell me which is the best of the three.
16-08-2007, 11:23 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

The one I saw was a video. I believe Duke Video do some of them.
16-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Helen and by the way Cargo goes off with my mate in the junior MGP 107 Nigel Howard 108 Cargo should be good at your marshalling point?
16-08-2007, 12:22 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

hh1
I would recommend HAPPY HOLIDAYS 1 to show you all how much the Island changed in just a short time with a war in the middle !!

I've already ordered mine !
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
16-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Website Find Reply
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27

Ian cnat remember exactly when the rowing boats dissapeared think it was in the early 8os , the guys who owned the boats where real characters , there was Low Kelly who lived close to us & always wore a trilby a very cheery guy always smiling & then Yankee Shimmin who had the boats for years , Yankee is still alive i think .
The rowing boats used to be left accross the road from our house in Circular Rd on the corner of Hillside Avenue which was a bit of wasteland .
Can remember the boats getting towed out of the harbour every morning around to the beach .
Think the demise of the boats was the same as the demise of the deck chairs basically due to lack of tourists unfortunately .
Having been brought up in a boarding house & then a hotel i feel very lucky to have grown up in the 70s when there was absolutely loads to do here , loads of tourists & seemingly hot summers all the time .
And of course the TT races & MGP the highlight of my summer would be when i was growing up waiting for the boat to come in carrying the TT gang , from our house we could see it from the top flight , then run down stairs & wait for the guys outside the house .
Happy days , my kids dont believe how busy it was here .
16-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

kelly
I remember Mr Trilby Kelly...a character if ever there was one...

It used to be a real adventure crossing that fair width of sea to the Tower of Refuge where we could go up the tower years back.

I have some super pics of one of my friends who stepped out of the boat when it beached itself on the Refuge but he found the only bit of deep water on the wrong side of the boat!

Fully clothed he went down into the sea/weed and came up spurting seawater.

Very dignified he climbed back into the boat, still fully clothed, but tipping seawater out of his new posh shoes with a look of total disdain on his face!!

Oh how we larfed !!! Roger was also our Guinness taster and he often disappeared before breakfast and we would eventually find him in the Castle Mona having....Breakfast...a pint of Guinness..with cornflakes !!

Parts of the deckchairs eventually made their way into my hands and bum as they became a little bit old. (I still have a few bits as souvenirs, not in my bum I might add.

Any of you who watch "No Limit" when George sings "In me Little Wigan Garden" will see how it all was even up to the late 60s..

Another chapter for me book !
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
16-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Website Find Reply