92 days of lifes challanges
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
92 days of lifes challanges
Hi folks, a bit more banter from me and my world.

I became a non driver due to my crash, this is a NZ legal issue for any one that has any head injuries recorded from any accidents, and I did have a wee problem to begin with, so I was told not to drive any cars untill 6 months had past.

I read through the law books, and discovered a law that said, if I pass a special drivivg test, then I would be exempt from this law, well as of yesterday and a drive test and a special reaction time test, I AM NOW ALLOWED TO DRIVE AGAIN Big Grin 8) Lol :shock:

92 days later, I can get back on with life again.

I am now up and about on walking sticks all the time, and have actually walked a bit without any pain at all! with out the sticks, so really, in a very short time, my sticks and wheel chair will be given back, and I will be all go.

My doctor here is very happy with the progress, and I have been in touch with my UK doctor Toby Bradfoot via email a couple of times, and he is also very happy with how things are going.

The better I get, the more positive and focused on life I become, the only slight problem I have is, I REALLY WANT TO RACE AGAIN!

I am seriously thinking about doing the New Zealand championship, starts in January, with a very very serious view of doing the Isle of Man 600 SS race? Why? because I love the place and love the challenge, I know some may think it is a bit silly of me, but what can I do, I have never run away from life before, and do not think that part of my make up is going to change, and I would so love to include that class win on my resume.

PS, do not tell my wife just yet, I have not told her this part of my thoughts on things yet, but will only race there if she is OK with me doing it

I know that accidents can happen :shock: But they are just accidents, and if I am to race there again, I will only be coming to try to win, I will not be coming just to ride around.
05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

Shaun, Congratulations on getting back behind the wheel you continue to amaze me. I wish you all the best and hope you make a return to the grid at the TT. That would be fantastic to see and with the right kit, no worries. I'm not sure that you'll be able to keep this quiet though. Best of luck. alf

PS What you like with a cricket bat?
06-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

I was waiting for this!

Shaun, you are amazing!!

Well done with the driving thing and good luck with improving walking.
Are yo still under the physio?
These guys are amazing and I am sure you will do as they tell you.
I owe a lot to them and I guess you do.

As for the race "secret", what can I say?
In my mind, there was no way you would NOT hve another go at some level.
Just make sure you DO know what you are doing, mate.
Racing, and indeed biking generally, is something of a disease (or is it an addiction?) and we all recognise that, me as much as anyne.
We are all a bit selfish and would love to see you on a grid again.
But only you know how your loved ones would feel about it.
Gees, sorry mate!
I guess I'll stop me nagging now!! lol

Seriously Shaun, enjoy whatever you do and make the most of the amazing gift that you have been granted.

MV
06-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
good news
Well done Shaun....

Bouncing back was always your way...See you in 2008
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Website Find Reply
Fitz Offline
Fitzjnr

Threads: 15

You have HUGE test tickles wanting to come back and race again after an accident like that. I feel that Fiona must have HUGE hands as she will be ripping them off when she finds out Lol

Great to hear you are making such good progress Shaun and I am sure I can speak for everyone here by saying that we would be delighted to see you back on the Isle of Man next year whether you are racing or not.

The only question that remins is will you be buying the beer?
06-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Hi Shaun,

I red your posting out to Pamela, who is as pleased as I am that things are going so well for you.

Mind you, she added something about you looking into new protective gear(?)
She seems thn that you might need it when the Missus finds out!

lol

Cheers mate,

MV

PS. It has just occurred to me that you probably dont remember meeting us after the TTWebsite ear;y morning cocach trip! ..... heres me chatting to you like an old mate!!
06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Great to see you doing well Ginger and lets hope the Boss lets you back in the saddle for next year.

Found something to keep you amused, all yours mate and good luck.

http://www.shaunthesheep.com/shop/?gclid...EAodolEZJA
06-09-2007, 04:39 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
From
Stuart Wallace of Braddan asks after you and hopes you are progressing well.

He is the laddy who saw you just after you "dumped" it at Union Mills.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Website Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

As i was reading your post shaun, i felt a smile spreading across my face.

Can`t say any more than that as i can only appreciate how the rest of your family may feel.

Jeez when that bug bites it never lets go as i know only so well 8)

Stella x
06-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Ok, I ended up telling my lady about this wee little secret yesterday :o
She reacted just how I expected her to, She basically said, that what ever I decide to do, she will be behind me 8)

There is a lot of time yet before I can commit, or will commit, I want to make sure that I am physically perfect for the task, before making any final decisions.

MV, I do remember our meeting after the bus trip mate,I think I commented something like, (you do not look like I expected?)

Thanks to all other best wishes, as true fans of this race meeting, I feel it is your right to iknow how things are going with me, as you all showed so much concern, I will try to keep you all up to date as things progress.
06-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58

Spoken from the heart by us by us both then Shaun

I continue to wish you both the very best of health, happiness and personal satisfaction 8)

Am sure you will know if, and when the time is right to return.
07-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Find Reply
Neil.W Offline

Threads: 6

Hi Shaun ,

What can i say , to be up and about so soon after a accident like that is great in itself , to consider racing the TT again so soon shows determination that we all knew you had , no matter how contraversial at times.

I for one wish you all the luck in the world mate , i just urge you to give more thought to this decision than ever before , maybe leave it till the drugs wear off... Lol Lol

Good Luck ,

Neil.
07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Shaun,

so glad you remember the old basket!

I have the picture taken that morning as my wallpaper right now.

....kinda inspirational...

MV
07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Shaun if ever I was to get involved with the racing again the only man who had any chance of getting into my deep pockets would be you. You totaly amaze me. But at the same time id would have to get my flock of sheep Lol
08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

FC Wrote:Shaun if ever I was to get involved with the racing again the only man who had any chance of getting into my deep pockets would be you. You totaly amaze me. But at the same time id would have to get my flock of sheep Lol

The Flock has been trapped! And that is my hand you feel inside your wallet pocket mate :shock:
08-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
258 days to TT08 (257 by the time you read this)
Shaun, Read your post on paddock gossip , now there's a thought, beginning to sound like a plan. You and Adrian Archibald as team mates, FC providing the funds, NW, TT and UGP and a couple on National events to warm up, it's a winner. You're pushing against an open door, go for it. alf
09-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

FC and Shaun... now that's a combination....
09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10

Shaun, you have proper grandes cajones fella, fair play to ya!

Many people would have called it a day quite honourably after a smash like that, especially given the tribulations that the jobsworths caused in '06.

I'm really pleased to hear of your progress though I guess it was only to be expected from someone like you (awkward and stubborn)!

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get back mate, you're still young (by my standards) and it's more important to be there ready than to be there early. But when you are ready it will be great to see you Big Grin
10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Website Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Tomcat Wrote:Shaun, you have proper grandes cajones fella, fair play to ya!

Many people would have called it a day quite honourably after a smash like that, especially given the tribulations that the jobsworths caused in '06.

I'm really pleased to hear of your progress though I guess it was only to be expected from someone like you (awkward and stubborn)!

Don't be in too much of a hurry to get back mate, you're still young (by my standards) and it's more important to be there ready than to be there early. But when you are ready it will be great to see you Big Grin

Awkward and stubborn is what helped me win 2x at the TT ( TC) So best I stay that way me thinks Lol

I am in NO hurry mate, I will make my final decision about racing again in December, when I am further down the physical recovery path.
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Life gets more exciting as the day turns to night. Last night I got a call from the UK on my cell phone, I missed the call, but there was a message for me, it was from a very special friend of mine, regarding my talking about racing at the TT again.

The guy that contacted me, is one of the nicest people that I am so lucky to know, his morals are sound, his intentions are fantastic, and his faith and commitment to ME is incredible.

He has OFFERED me a full spec 600SS bike to race next year if I want it, the bike is a very very good bike, and I know who will be my personell choice mechanic ( As I have spoken to him already) to look after it and me.

I have never fealt so honoured as I do at the moment, for some one to offer me a ride for the TT already like this is amazing, this man trully believes in me as a rider, as he knows me inside and out.

The deal has been made based on my final decision, (NO PRESSURE WHAT SO EVER) If in Dec ember I decide that I will be racing again, the 600ss bike will be sent out to New Zealand for me to start practising on it, so when we get to the TT, we are on a bike that is already set up for me and good to go.

Should the deal take place, I will be actively looking for outside sponsorship to help with the funding of this programme, the owner of the machine does not want his name all over the bike, so we will be selling of the naming writes to the bike, ie, a good sponsor will have there name all over the bike and leathers, the bike has cost the owner 16-000 Pounds, we would be looking for 10-000 to become the naming write sponsor.

Life is about plans, and I am a full believer in planning things, hense I have announced this to you all so early with out any definate commitment at this stage, I want to get this possibility out there as early as possible, to see if I can potentually help to attract the sponsorship required to do this job.

As I have said, I cannot nor will not commit 100% until December untill we can honestly appraise my physical condition, I want to be as best as I can be fitness wise, and I also will be asking my wife for her blessing to attack the course again, but will not ask Fiona untill she can see me doing my past physical programme.

I can gaurantee one thing now, I am so dam lucky to have this offer, I will guarantee now that if you see me riding at the TT next year, I will be in the best fitness condition I have ever been to race there.
12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Find Reply