Interesting website
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Interesting website
Not All IOM but interesting!

Apologies for those who already know this one.

http://www.raceclassics.co.uk/

I found it while loking for soemthing else.
Another couple of hours "wasted"

lol

MV
08-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Good site MV well done

Interestingly on the links page there is a link to..................TTwebsite.com
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

As was pointed out by Helen, some Hailwood pics from Elizabeth!

Lots of pics from my "heyday"

Bill Snelling is in the guest book!

MV
08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Robert Burgess, who created this site, is too modest about his family and other close connections - there are some fascinating tales!
The Brian Burgess mentioned and pictured was a very competent racer in the late 50s/early 60s, when a Manx was the thing to have, and is Robert's brother. His father had connections with Tommy Price of speedway fame I seem to remember. His mother remarried to his stepfather, Barry Ryerson, who was one-time editor of Motor Cyclist Illustrated, and between them they created and ran from their home next to the old Croydon Airport (which had some lovely old perimeter track to illegally test unsilenced racers...) the Volunteer Emergency Service, whose members were ordinary bikers and some car drivers who gave up their time and pocket money to help with urgent deliveries of blood, medical supplies, blood samples and drugs when the only previous way was using ambulances or hospital cars. I remember getting called out during a winter's night to collect some blood from Sutton Blood Bank and take it to Basingstoke or somewhere, where it was urgently needed for a transfusion of a "blue" baby. It did make a change to be greeted warmly when one appeared dressed in leathers and helmet at the time of the worst excesses of the Daily Mirror re "ton-up boys" on the A20!
Cyril Jones raced a Triumph, and discovered exactly what needed welding up on the frame to stop it tying itself in a know round bumpy bends! He was the spanners man for Richard Wyler - "Man from Interpol" off the telly - who had a bike shop in Worcester Park and raced a 124 Honda with some success on short circuits. I bought his old leathers as my first set and found them a perfect fit, so (briefly) could claim to have a film star figure! Unfortunately it did not lead to roles for me in the Knights Castile advert Richard did for tv, where he was in a bubble bath with some lovelies - on a jet airliner!
Eeeeee lad - the tales there are to tell!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Thanks for the insights!

I met Richard Wyler at Brands with some mates.
He had a beautiful two tone blue export Bonneville. I gorgeous machine.
He was really one of the lads and joined us in a ride back to Heston and Cranford. I think he briefly went out with one of the girls in our youth club.

More tales please!

MV
09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

I can churn out the tales, but there is a risk that they will look too "Me! Me!", and the TT was only one sort of racing I did, so maybe not appropriate to here?
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
10-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Find Reply