Allan Robinson MBE
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12

Don't start me off Barbara.

His last words to me we not about himself and the terrible suffering he must have been in, but his concern about and that he was sorry about my failing eyesight.

His final words on the TT to his friends were "what a mess it has all become". Never truer words said.

At the Villa he made even the last man home a hero to the packed hall,

At the TTRA dinners he was the ultimate professional and he was a bloody embarassment the way he made every single rider present stand and exalted with applause for their achievements to resounding applause.

He was a class act and those who have followed and replaced him are mere shadows of his excellence at what he did best, support and care for with real sincerity all riders not just the stars.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
24-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Find
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26

Ihave not spent much time at the computer lately, so it came as a big shock to hear about Alan.I am afraid I was not even aware that he was so ill. I knew Alan for many years, and I well remember when I attended the TTRA dinner in London, and he introduced me as the first lady solo TTRA member.That must have been way back in the late seventies. I met him many more times, even when he commentated at the BMF rallies. He was such an enthusiast about the TT and I can only agree with everyone elses' statements about him.Another TRUE TT stalwart who will never be replaced under the chequered flag.Bless you Alan
25-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Find
Tom Loughridge Offline

I have just received this from Allans daughter.

You probably have this information already from the wonderful network of friends and family that made Dads life so colourful. Many of yur were so fantastically loyal and helpful, especially during the last difficult months and I thank you so very much.

Dad wanted everyone to know he had a fantastic life. It was always fun. Horizons had always to be explored and friends and family 'tormented'. He crammed in more than most, and his Police work and motorcycle sport and writing were always fulfilling. His commenting and toastmaster work was honest and true. Now the microphone is stilled and that distinctive voice and humour has gone.

If you wish to attend his funeral. It will be on Tuesday 30th October at Guildford Crematorium Surrey 11.30- 12.30 followed by a gathering at Weybourne House, Hitherbuty Close, Guildford GU2 4DR The catering there will be limited to space and numbers but I am sure we;ll all workit out with good humour.

He and I request No flowers but donations to Woking Hospice would be uch appreciated as my Mother died there in 2002 and Dad was very supportive of the superb work done there. Please send donations to Alan Greenwood and Sons, 66 Send Road, Send, Woking, Surrey, GU23 7EU. Cheques made payable to Woking Hospice.

Dad asked that no one should grieve, so laugh we will at great memories.

Your sincerely,

T.J Robinson.
25-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Find
Tom Loughridge Offline

As Larry knows when I moved over here Allan discussed with us both that he fancied moving over here to be amongst the road racing lads, he was serious about it at the time, but his world wide adventures stopped him.

My God if he had been here we would have had a fine Piper for him and carried him all the way to his last resting place no need for a hearse, and when we had shed a tear or two for his passing we would have celebrated in fine style the passing of this unselfish man.

How can w not greive a little for such a fine friend and true sportsman so dedicated to our sport
25-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

Nick J was to be interviewed today by Energy FM as they asked for an appreciation of Alan. I don't know when it was to be broadcast.
25-10-2007, 11:10 PM
DickH Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Even after a couple of days - I'm still sitting here with a lump in my throat. And so, I'm now decided to go to Guildford and say 'goodbye old pal' properly....and apologise for delaying my reply to his last(and final) email. He was right again.
I will remember working with him at his TTRA Office, being one of the first FoTTRA members and constructing the first TTRA website.
When he was organising the TTRA Lap back in 1999 he fixed up Ron Haslam to ride my 1100R in the 40 special Hondas - after all, it was the bike that Ron made his name riding. And so, on the Saturday parade Ron rode it around and then announced that he would not be on the Island for the Monday parade.
Rather than let there be a gap - Allan suggested that I should ride it - just fill in the forms and pay up. So I did my first Parade Lap starting from the second row of the grid.....and promptly left the two Montegi Hondas beside me standing when the flag dropped!!
That was the man - he took the risk that he could trust me so that the Show could go on.
And, when he was having tea at my place and helping out at the 1907 Re-enactment only a few months ago, I couldn't believe that he was close to his own chequered flag.
Many thanks my old pal - your style at the TTRA Lunch was unique and brought a smile to my face many times. I will treasure the memories.
Dick H
27-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Find
andy21aa Offline

Threads: 6

Reading this thread has evoked a whole range of emotions.
I didn't know Allan, but I rather wish I had.

RIP.
27-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Find
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13

May i on behalf of the Pendennis Motorcycle and Light car Club, Falmouth, Cornwall pass on my sincere condolances to his family and friends.
I first met Allan in 1987 when he was commentating on the Classic Racing Clubs meeting at Pembrey. I stopped off at Pembrey to take part in the classic parade to give the bike an airing, before going on to the TT, where Allan had made my dream come true for me to ride in the "Lap of Honour" on my BSA "Rob North Rocket 3" i also rode on 3 occassions after that in the "Classic Laps" the last being in 2000 when Allan was at the helm. To be honest the "Classic Parade" today, is now just a shadow of when he was in control.

In 1989 and 90, he travelled down to Falmouth to take part to take part in the Pendennis Diamond Anniversary celebrations, when we opened up the old pure road racing circuit around the Castle Drive for the first time in 53 years to take part on a "Triton" in the racing motorcycle parades.
In the late 80s he also attended the clubs dinner and dance as guest of honour with his late wife Wyn, and in 2001 the clubs book launch of "Racing Round a Castle" where he was the MC, and most recently in 2005 when the club celebrated their 75th Anniversary, and he was made a life member.
The last email i had from him was earlier this year when he was having treatment and that he was hoping to come down to Falmouth later in the year for a break and to share some time with us but alas this will never happen now.
I found him a wonderful man, who would rub shoulders with the greats of motorcycling and yet have time for the ordinary biker.
Mororcycling has lost a wonderful embassador for the sport, and will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him.

Rest in Peace Allan. Heaven has gained a commentator of the highest standard. See ya Mate.
28-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Find
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9

We knew Allan Robinson also through the CRMC in the late 80's and early 90's and cannot add any more than has already been said. However, in the mid 90's we went to Beaulieu and my husband had the job of parading Dave Degens Barcelona race winning bike around the arena with Dave on one of his other machines. Allan was commentating and did an interview with Dave, imagine our delight when he also interviewed my husband as the plan had been to interview Dave only. Alan was a lovely man as has been said before and a great friend to everyone, he will be sadly missed.
29-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Find
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
alan robinson m.b.e.
alans funeral had georgeus weather and a huge turnout,the hearse was proceeded by three police motorcyclists,alans helmet and police cap were on the coffin.a fine service followed,then a gathering at a hall nr guildford where the many enjoyed sharing their memories of alan,how he would have loved to have been there chatting to this varied crowd,motorcyclists,policemen,masons,and who knows what else,a fine send off.we will miss him greatly,..........
30-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Find
Tom Loughridge Offline

Thanks I would love to have been there , I think it is a sad reflection that this was the only site to even mention the mans passing let alone pay any tribute to him.
31-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Find
larryd Offline

Threads: 11

It is interesting, if not surprising, that the TT Riders Association's own website carries no mention of Allan's death.

If there ever was an organisation that should have recognised this sad event, surely it is the TTRA?

Mind you, their most recent "Latest News" item is dated December 2006. . . . . .

Oh Allan, how your standards have been abandoned.

Sad
31-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Find
Tom Loughridge Offline

I received my TTRA newsletter about ten days ago and there was no mention of his ilness in that either.

Allan always kept us posted in the newsletter about people with ill health no matter who they were.

I think the last people he mentioned before retiring as sectretary were Allan Shepherd and John Hudson being in nursing homes with their contact details.
31-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Find
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
send off
I am glad Alan got the send off he so richly deserved, all walks of life were represented and the service was particularly memorable.

Since June, six similar stalwarts have gone to do the never ending lap and I truly feel we must meet up somewhere at TT 2008 for a special remembrance service for these people and all the others who have made the TT over the century...
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
31-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Website Find
thewitch
Unregistered

Just to be fair... the Classic Motorcycle Racing Club site and Steveenglish.com (the sidecar racing site) both carried tributes and funeral details.
31-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Rocket Man Offline

Threads: 13

larryd Wrote:It is interesting, if not surprising, that the TT Riders Association's own website carries no mention of Allan's death.

If there ever was an organisation that should have recognised this sad event, surely it is the TTRA?

Mind you, their most recent "Latest News" item is dated December 2006. . . . . .

Oh Allan, how your standards have been abandoned.

Sad

Allan was and always will be the TTRA, and anyone who trys to fill his boots, will have a massive job on their hands. Allan told me that the control of running the TT Classic Lap had been taken away from him, hence the variety of machinery which is now sadly lacking and he was very sad about that.

In 2005 i emailed the TTRA because i was looking for a special racing machine for an exhibition, thinking if any organisation could source a machine, they could with their contacts. They did not even bother to reply to my email, which makes me not surprised at all that they have not put a special page on their website.
31-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

I don't think either Alan or his family would be happy with the way some sentiments are being expressed. Moderation and mind the language,please. (I have edited a posting)
If you are current or past TT competitors, and are not members of the TTRA, join, if you are already, use your membership to make the changes you wish to see.
This is not the venue for arguments with the TTRA, take it to them.
31-10-2007, 08:48 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

In response to an email received.
If you are not prepared to put your head above the parapet and DO the things you complain about, you have no right to moan.
Few things annoy me as much as the people who are in the pub complaining while others are doing, and being complained about.
Members of TTRA who are not happy, please bring that to the TTRA and see how it can be remedied. Those who are not.. if you entitled to join, do so, and follow the above instructions... if you are not entitled to join, it's not your argument.
It's certainly not mine or TTwebsite's so leave it out, guys.
Let us remember Alan with respect, and for all he did. Don't spoil that with an online barney.
31-10-2007, 09:29 PM
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Whilst I understand your feelings m'lady, many emotions are stirred when a friend dies, and those of us who gather here on this forum will be frustrated at an organisation that does not use the speed and ease of communication of the internet as well as this does.
Dear Alan was not an internet-savvy man we should remember, but he certainly communicated, whereas the TTRA does seem stuck still in the days of quill pens, and has not fought to retain or recover the position it once had under his wing.
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
31-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

I understand all that Peter, but these issues will only be remedied if addressed to the TTRA. I hope that Alan's legacy may be that more members become active and make the TTRA what they (and he) would like it to be.
31-10-2007, 10:51 PM