Manx Radio
thewitch
Unregistered

Manx Radio
Listen at 11.00 to Mandate on Manx Radio
27-11-2007, 11:52 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

I'll try to put up any new points made (Paul Phillips being interviewed about new races, ACU etc). Don't think he's going to get a word in edgeways for the music!
Here he goes: Changes been looked at for a long time. Various GOV depts. Precipitated by MMCC resignation. They said there were some things they said they couldn't do. Needed one org to do all.
Re: previous arrangement with ACU. Different control situation now. ACU Events Ltd simply provide a service. IOM retains control.
Suggestion from interviwer that liability for safety and accidents lie with ACU? Paul says we have to make sure everything is done to ensure safety, but then you are covered.
Q. If MMCC can't get enough marshals how will ACU, who are not popular?
PP agrees past was not good, but he says ACU have changed.
At MGP marshalling more difficult as 60% of TT marshals come from across and not here for MGP.
Q. How are you going to make sure enough marshals for TT.
Responsibilty will be ACU, but TTmarshals recruiting traing etc.
DTL helping by producing literature etc, to recruit more. Aiming at younger people as they are not coming forward as they used to.
Rewarding marshals? Got some ideas. These will be ready in the new year.
Marshals are volunteers and paying them would be difficult because it would mean they were employees. The marshals, due to difficulty to get enough, can be the Achilles heel.
Contracts for the TT have been signed for years to come. the future is assured.
Should there be a short circuit and BSB etc? Paul's opinion... can't see how that would work. We are remote, don't have the infrastructure... 20,000 visitors... they can go to a closer circuit, but there is only one TT Mountain Course. He thinks it has a long and vibrant future.
Paul's Dad raced, they lived on Sulby Straight... he thinks he may be a bit of an anorak.
JmcG... main prob is the orange jacket!! Hasn't got a contract yet for suitable bike. Paul hinted at something! Called him a veteran!! Hope he'll marshal at the Manx!
Apols for any typos... I was never cut out to be a typist... not at this speed anyway. Speak slowly, Paul and Dan.
27-11-2007, 12:36 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

smilie smilie
27-11-2007, 12:37 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

2nd round...Why 125/250 back on the TT course?
I get the blame for this! It happened before I came, but I think it was the right decision.
Issues: Slower than core classes, so can't practice with them.. difficult to work on course.. riders reluctant as it too much bother, concentrate on bigger bikes. I am a two stroke fan. Know there is a variety problem, so looked at this. At Billown a really strong entry, great race... excited abut this.
How old can you be a marshal.. 16, with parental permission, 18 on your own signature. Milky and Conor been recruiting at schools. Kids getting interested again through TT game. (Dan thinks Lara Croft better looking than JMcG.)
Is Gooseneck etc safe with those ditches? Not sure what particular prob. Everywhere made as safe as possible.
Union Mills resident saying how much she loves the TT. PP delighted. At 2003/4 entries were down... future looked bleak, but now it is rosy.
Barry Sheen had a point at the time, as World Champs forced people to race here. It should be a choice.
More news to come in the next few weeks. A world champion coming up soon..............
27-11-2007, 12:45 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

By the way
The 2007 TT won the Best Event class in the Isle of Man Tourism Awards.

The others were:
Best Hotel (30 + bedrooms) Sefton Hotel,

Douglas Best Small Hotel/B&B of the year Joint winners, Dreem Ard & Aaron House

Best Self-Catering Stansfield House, Dalby

Best Tourist Attraction The House of Manannan

Best Restaurant Horizons Restaurant, close 2nd was The Millennium Saagar.

Best Event TT2007 Best Customer Service from an individual John Bates, Laxey Campsite

Sharp-eyed marshals, and those who love a nice cake will spot the establishment of a well known GorseLea character..........
27-11-2007, 01:05 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Well done Helen, our unofficial Isle of Man correspondent!
NOW we know why you "wentover!"

Seriously, it does help to have such info fed through.
MV
27-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I can just see myself, in one of those Perry Mason shows, typing away as the case proceeds!
27-11-2007, 02:01 PM
cargo
Unregistered

DSM Berrie forced to "share" an award

Thats outragous I do object in very strongest terms

DSM Berrie and his fine establishment have no equal and as for fine cakes there are none better that those of Aaron House
I demand a recount :!:
27-11-2007, 02:58 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

27-11-2007, 03:03 PM
cargo
Unregistered

I once told DSM Berrie that Sand and me would bring the boys a stay for a weeks holiday sometime.....................

he went a funny puce colour Lol Lol Lol
27-11-2007, 03:11 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Maybe you should go to Dreem Ard.......
27-11-2007, 03:13 PM