Message For "Sticky"-photos
orange Offline

Threads: 12
Message For "Sticky"-photos
Planning on taking photos at Ballacrye this year,what lens do you suggest i use?
Cheers
Orange
P.S Do you know where i can hire a 600mm F4 Canon at reasonable rates?
06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39

06-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Website Find Reply
orange Offline

I got a Canon 30D and 5D with Sigma 18-200,Sigma28-300,Sigma70-200 2.8 and Canon 100-400 L series and Sigma 10-20

Dont fancy podding out 6 grand as a deposit!!!!

But help with Ballacrye would be Appreciated
06-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Right, the 100-400 is your lens and use the 30D. It should have enough reach considering the crop factor on a 30D gives the equivalent of over 600mm. I use Nikon so I can't say whether the AF will handle the situation or not. It's probably better to manually pre-focus on the spot you want to take the picture.

I've never actually watched from Ballacrye to be honest but quick as it is, you'll need a fast shutter speed both to handle the speed of the subject and to reduce the risk of camera shake if hand holding.

I'd try and get somewhere you can move from because there's only really one shot at Ballacrye and while a few really nailed on shots of an airborne bike look great, it starts getting a bit tedious once you've taken 300!

A possible alternative is the drop down to Kate's from Keppel Gate. There are some big wheelies these days with the bike leaning over and you have the option of moving around for a variety of shots.
06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Website Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

I enjoy these impromptu master classes. Sticky, you should press Cargo and thewitch for a Photo section here.

I agree that Keppel Gate is a good spot, I intend to go back there this year and give my new Canon 400 + 75 - 300mm lens a thorough test, see below I took these with my trusty Fuji.

Are there any other spots to consider, how about the outside at Greeba Bridge by the phone box? alf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slippery3/501279234/

[Image: 501279234_287423c378.jpg]

[Image: 501279286_ca9d9d3d13.jpg]
06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Alf, that Fuji does remarkably well! Or is it the photographer? :wink: Something you'll find with the Canon is that as the image sensor is much bigger than the Fuji, you'll get much less noise (bigger pixels) higher ISO settings become more usable.

I don't have any web hosting of my pics. I really ought to sort out a website (not enough spare time) but if admin are prepared to post some shots for me, I'd be happy to send some in.

A photo section isn't a bad idea but does tend to suck up bandwidth, so I don't know if that would be an issue or not.
06-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

A lot of the good places for action shots were out of bounds at last years's Manx, it would be worth checking if these restrictions are still going to be in place for racing 2008.
06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Website Find Reply
alf885 Offline

[quote="sticky"]Alf, that Fuji does remarkably well! Or is it the photographer? :wink:

I wish! alf
06-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Website Find Reply
orange Offline

Right then gents where shall i start Bill i think

Bill, thought that may happen after last years TT,i have put a post on the other website after last years TT when Paul Phillips asked what everyone thought of last years event and i suggested that the spectators guide was updated with all the sterile areas that are in force now and in the future instead of people turning up to a vantage spot and being moved on it should be included in the programme in my view or island racer.

Sticky,thanks for sorting that out,just wondered why you suggested the 30D body instead of the 5D which i have used on the short circuits and had some good results using the predictive AF.I did Keppel gate to Kates last TT and got some good shots with front wheels pawing the air.Wanted that 600mm to have a go up at Guthries to get the same sort of shot that is on the front of Mick Duckworths book or do you think i have the gear to achieve that?
06-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Find Reply
orange Offline

Alf,sorry couldnt fit you on the last post,but your right i think there should be a photo section as on the BSB site.
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

There are some discussions about what should be done in the next TTwebsite Spring Clean, andf I think this is a good idea. Would it be best if it was, rather than simply a gallery, a photo tips section too, with Sticky giving away all his trade secrets?
Gert also has some awesome shots, so maybe some suggestions what you wouls want from this section would be helpful when we are discussing it.
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
alf885 Offline

Absolutely Helen, sticky's photo hints and tips, best viewing spots etc. equipment reviews, all good stuff. Then I'll promise to post mine here first, presuming they'll be any good of course. alf
06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Website Find Reply
Sport-Pics Offline

Threads: 3

After doing the MGP for the last 4 years, it now strikes me that I am running out of "new" places to take photos! Restrictions being what they are in some places you can't afford to turn up somewhere on race days and be told "you can't stand there" despite the media bib.

I work almost every weekend of the race season but the Mountain Circuit is unique even for us togs! The sheer speed involved throws out the usual settings and even something like the length of the race can play havoc with the sun and shadows if you are stuck.

Over the years I have got to know most of the guys (and gals) who marshal at the various spots I use and they are mostly quite accomodating. I think that some of the marshals should appreciate that I am there working, like they are, and not a free loader looking for a better, closer spot.

Anyway, rant over and back to the original question, use a higher shutter speed (800 - 1000th) higher ISO - 400 and move around or change lenses on each lap if you are at one of the faster places. Other than that keep you finger on the button, you won't miss any thing then!

Rusty
You are there to be shot at!!!
Sport-Pics
06-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

[/quote]Sticky,thanks for sorting that out,just wondered why you suggested the 30D body instead of the 5D which i have used on the short circuits and had some good results using the predictive AF.I did Keppel gate to Kates last TT and got some good shots with front wheels pawing the air.Wanted that 600mm to have a go up at Guthries to get the same sort of shot that is on the front of Mick Duckworths book or do you think i have the gear to achieve that?[/quote]

The 30D has a 1.6x crop factor compared to the 5D which is the equivalent of 35mm full frame. This will make your 100-400 behave like a 160-640mm zoom, so you have an effective focal length increase over the 5D. I don't know Canons well enough to say if the AF on the 5D is better than the 30D but to be honest, anything lower than an EOS 1D will struggle at somewhere like Ballacrye, so don't be afraid to use manual focus.

As far as gear goes, you seem very well set up for most things. The 100-400 on either of your bodies is an excellent tool for the TT course. To be honest it's very easy to get carried away with equipment. All the gear in the world won't help if you don't have an eye for a picture :wink:

Rusty makes a very good point about light changing during a race (or practice). Think about where the light will be and how it will change. You could go somewhere that's great for one lap and a nightmare for the next five! The entry to Parliament Square is a perfect example. Great in the morning - horrendous in the afternoon. I'm assuming, of course, that it's sunny... Smile
06-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Hi, Rusty, I hope you come to the bottom of Bray from time to time, although all you say about speed applies there in spades, and probably above or below the bottom is better.
However, as marshals we don't have any choice but move you if the area you are in is prohibited. Also, as I often explain to people, I'd hate to pick up bits of someone who chose to stand in the wrong place, so I ask them to move. smilie
The new restrictions on ALL personnel mean that, even with a media tabard, no-one is allowed on the road or the pavement. I know, as an experienced photographer, you know this and stick by it.
Believe me, folks, even hardened marshals scare themselves sometimes theorising on what could happen. We did this year, speculating on someone losing it, as Paul Orrit did many years ago, but at that flat out, first lap, full tank speed, and the front tyre hit something and it took off.
It was a wee whilie before we all crept back out from behind the phone box!
As the years go by, and the speeds increase, the length and trajectory of a crashing motorcycle's flight lengthens and changes. This explains a lot of the new prohibited areas, and, of course, tragic events in recent years have meant Health and Safety is paramount, if sometimes a bit over the top.
Watch, enjoy, survive. Roll on TT 2008. smilie :yah
06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Mark850 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Quote:A lot of the good places for action shots were out of bounds at last years's Manx, it would be worth checking if these restrictions are still going to be in place for racing 2008.

I must also agree that the spectator guide needs to be updated. I'm sure the prohibited area behind the bank at The Nook will be strictly enforced from now on.

Mark
07-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Website Find Reply
Chris Thackeray Offline

Threads: 28

I could do with tips on the art of a good tt picture....Plus do you know where i shot the main photo from?.

[Image: 9.jpg]
08-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Website Find Reply
Mark850 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0

Chris,

<< I could do with tips on the art of a good tt picture >>

A tough question.

There was a time when I felt that the only 'good' picture was a frame full of bike; people, scenery, etc. were irrelevant. But after a while I came to believe that what was needed was a picture that told a story, in this case a TT story. And what makes the TT special is the people, the scenery, and the bikes. So, I began looking for setups where I could find all three.

http://www.marksttphotos.com/Parliament_...iament.jpg

But frame full of bike is still fun!

http://www.marksttphotos.com/The_Nook/HuntatNook.jpg

<< Plus do you know where i shot the main photo from?. >>

Not a clue Big Grin

Mark
08-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

The art of a good TT picture? Well, taking one that's got people guessing where it was is a pretty good start. Smile Is it Whitegates?

The great Don Morley said that the bike should not be too tightly framed in order to give the picture context - otherwise it could be anywhere. I like to shoot from as low an angle as possible as I feel that gives a better perspective and allows more background into the shot. If you shoot from too high up, then your background is going to be mostly tarmac. Having said that, Chris' picture of the Paton works because it's got people thinking!

For some examples from someone to aspire to, have a look at David Collister's work here:

http://www.photocycles.com/

Something else I've found is that the best viewing spots do not always make the best photo spots & vice versa.
08-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Website Find Reply
orange Offline

Sticky,talking of the "Don" there is a news paper cutting in his book TT in camera that says he lived in M................. Derbyshire which is not to far me was wondering if the great man is still alive and still lives in the area?
09-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Find Reply